Monday Morning Musings

MeanGreenTexan

6 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We really needed to draw up some screens to Siggers during that game.   The Houston DL figured out VERY QUICKLY that they were wearing out our OL, and just pinned their ears back all night long.   No attempts by Reeder to catch them in overpursuit, or at least back them off, with the screen play that I can recall.

BINGO!

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

5.  We're really hurting for a downfield threat.   Shorter should be able to be that guy, but for some reason Mason doesn't want to throw those jump balls up to him like he would to Rico.   So, oftentimes, he winds up holding the ball checking down reads, and either missing a receiver because his timing is off, or eating it for a sack.

this one really sticks out to me.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

8.  Great crowd.  Lots of new faces sitting around me.  Some, just football fans that had no NT affiliation.  I hope they come back!

If we can just start the games faster, we can still salvage this season & win out.   I still think NT is the best team in C-USA.

It used to be that people would file out at halftime. The crowd was engaged, sections were packed, and the game day experience was miles better than when I was a student. Also it was my first time on campus since 2011- it is incredible how much the university has changed for the better re: branding, signage, spirit, experience. 

Shout out to the older couple that let me and buddy use their chairbacks. 

Love the NT alumni pavillion, but they need a better caterer. Al's BBQ is poop-inducing. 

Finally got to try Tony's balls. They were amazing, and went down easy, unlike our special teams performance. 

The amount of sponsors and awesome free food available during tailgating has increased wildly since the late 2000s and that's on this athletic staff.

I dream of the day when both Apogee and the fouts side are full with tailgaters....

• Upvote 3

• Harry featured this topic

Two things and then I will hang up and Listen:

1) I thought that we were going to run the hurry up offense and be so up temp that "The Defense wont be able to keep up". I havent seen any type of that this year

2) I am very worried that the blow out Houston win will scare away the fair weathered UNT fan for the year.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

Regarding the uptempo stuff...   That is not going to be a 100% of the time thing.   It comes in spurts, and I've seen those spurts work in all 5 games.    Watch for it, and you'll notice when it's happening.   It'll be for 5-10 plays at a time.  I recall 2 times in the 2nd quarter where we were lined up to snap and Hair Griffin was uncovered on the home sideline while Houston was subbing, but they were able to sprint over in time, and I don't know that Fine ever saw it.

• Upvote 1

I understand it's not going to be 100% of the time thing but they were pumping it up in the off season like you were going to see it all the time. I felt there were times in the game on Saturday that we were pushing the ball down field and we took our time getting to the line when we should of kept the pedal to the medal. I know you have to take what the defense gives you but I have felt, we havent "Utilized" it as much as we should have this year

• Upvote 2

While my "get on the record" prediction of 11-3 is still possible, it is hard to say probable with Rico out for the season. Now I see a serious challenge just to get bowl eligible. We need four more wins. MTSU, UTEP, and Rice need to be three of those wins. The other games are at USM (3-2, 1-0 beat UTEP), at Charlotte (2-3. 0-1 loss to FAU), at La Tech (4-1, 2-0 beat FIU and Rice), and regular season finale at home against UAB (3-1, 0-1, lost to WKU).  The next game is always the most important, and the game at USM could be that other win we need to get us back on track. 

Conference USA does not look particularly strong this year,  and I think we are capable of sweeping conference games to finish regular season 9-3. The team that was on the field Saturday is just as likely to finish 5-7.

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

So based on our trend, someone is walking out of the first quarter with a goose egg.  As long as it’s not us, we win.  

now that is the solid analysis i come to this board for...BRILLIANT!!!

• Haha 2