Current State of the Program

untjim1995

15 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Man Jimmy Sexton did a phenomenal job of building Littrell up last year. He’s really good. He convinced UNT that KState was gonna hire him and it got him a big raise. 

I’m glad I’m not the only one that thought that 😅

I know it's early but I don't see the juicy openings developing just yet.  It is still October 1 but let's be honest - last year there were some fantastic openings that had Seth's name as a potential look on them - Tech, Tennessee, KSU...This year everyone seems to be treading water okay, even the ones that looked rough and ugly early - UCLA, USC, Arizona.  Those guys are starting to win just enough games to warrant a keep.  I just don't see Seth going to Maryland or Syracuse or Purdue or someplace like that.  

Just turn this darn thing around.

GMG

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Ok...the athletic department overall is in great shape. This year's Football team, well.....if your happy with the record your # old Denton. Blown out in two of your more high profile ooc games doesn't move the peg forward.

I'm headed to Hattiesburg for the USM. Drop this one...just don't see NT winning the west. THIS USM game is now a must win.

18 hours ago, 9299 said:

That being said, your first statement about RV being cut out of the hiring process is incorrect. He was involved from beginning to end!!!

18 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Glad you're back RV.

17 hours ago, 9299 said:

No Not RV, 

17 hours ago, RBP79 said:

I'm headed to Hattiesburg for the USM. 

You're doing a really poor job convincing anyone that you're not RV.

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Rudy said:

You're doing a really poor job convincing anyone that you're not RV.

Look at his post history. It's a dead giveaway.

"Look at all the great things RV did"

"You're wrong about RV"

"Boy where would we be without RV"

"Me? I'm not RV. Why would you ever think that?"

dr evil whatever GIF

Edited by MGNation92
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

43 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Look at his post history. It's a dead giveaway.

"Look at all the great things RV did"

"You're wrong about RV"

"Boy where would we be without RV"

"Me? I'm not RV. Why would you ever think that?"

dr evil whatever GIF

He’s probably just a UNT 17 member that got fleeced by RV and doesn’t want to admit he got swindled.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

He’s probably just a UNT 17 member that got fleeced by RV and doesn’t want to admit he got swindled.

dan@cdsresources.com - 214-244-6316 - C Dan Smith - just in case you would like to discuss further!!!

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Impressive...didn’t expect that. I’ll stand corrected.

Shoutout to him and Brint Ryan, they both are public facing figures but arent shy about giving you their personal contact to have debate on issues. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

12 hours ago, NM Green said:

I know it's early but I don't see the juicy openings developing just yet.  It is still October 1 but let's be honest - last year there were some fantastic openings that had Seth's name as a potential look on them - Tech, Tennessee, KSU...This year everyone seems to be treading water okay, even the ones that looked rough and ugly early - UCLA, USC, Arizona.  Those guys are starting to win just enough games to warrant a keep.  I just don't see Seth going to Maryland or Syracuse or Purdue or someplace like that.  

Just turn this darn thing around.

GMG

Why would any G5 coach turn down Maryland, Purdue, or Syracuse??? You’re smoking too much green icky, my friend. 

• Haha 2

44 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Why would any G5 coach turn down Maryland, Purdue, or Syracuse??? You’re smoking too much green icky, my friend. 

Because coaches like to go places where they can be set up to win and do well... not set up to be fired a few years later because they didn't have the right backing from admin/students/fans, and being unable to pull in quality talent.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, I am the source said:

Mr Smith is correct that RV was “involved” in the hiring process.  He flew around the country interviewing people that were never going to be hired.  Withers, Helton, and Scott Frost to name a few.   The head coach was identified in October and RV flying around was a smoke screen   

The Chairman of the Board of Regents and the President of the University made the hire.   They wanted offense and excitement as well as a young coach that could relate to high school kids and the system most Texas high schools run.

Seth is a damn good ball coach.   This year was always going to be difficult replacing all the coaches that moved on last year.  Additionally, despite having a 4 year starter at QB this team is fairly young in game experience.    I would also say Seth is trying to build a program by signing high school kids.   Building trust with high schools in Texas and Oklahoma.  He’s not going for the SMU or K-State quick fix of Juco and transfers  that can just as easily backfire as be successful.   Good will will go a long way and 2 years from now this team will be special  and the pipeline in place for years to come   

This is a New Denton   The correct people are in place and athletics has amazing support from a great President   

Now  it is time for this team to grow up   These inexperienced players have 5 games under their belt so it’s time to improve in the bye week  

beat southern miss 

Jennifer Lopez Applause GIF by NBC World Of Dance

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

NT should hit the transfer portal hard from here on out. With national TV contracts, Internet social media, and instant News in the palm of their hands , players can gain national exposure at any G5 program. It’s worked for SMU. It’s a game changer...

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, I am the source said:

Mr Smith is correct that RV was “involved” in the hiring process.  He flew around the country interviewing people that were never going to be hired.  Withers, Helton, and Scott Frost to name a few.   The head coach was identified in October and RV flying around was a smoke screen   

The Chairman of the Board of Regents and the President of the University made the hire.   They wanted offense and excitement as well as a young coach that could relate to high school kids and the system most Texas high schools run.

Seth is a damn good ball coach.   This year was always going to be difficult replacing all the coaches that moved on last year.  Additionally, despite having a 4 year starter at QB this team is fairly young in game experience.    I would also say Seth is trying to build a program by signing high school kids.   Building trust with high schools in Texas and Oklahoma.  He’s not going for the SMU or K-State quick fix of Juco and transfers  that can just as easily backfire as be successful.   Good will will go a long way and 2 years from now this team will be special  and the pipeline in place for years to come   

This is a New Denton   The correct people are in place and athletics has amazing support from a great President   

Now  it is time for this team to grow up   These inexperienced players have 5 games under their belt so it’s time to improve in the bye week  

beat southern miss 

Lol.  Nice try.

• Haha 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

On 9/30/2019 at 8:14 AM, GreenFlag said:

That has been my guess about RV being cut out of the process but are we 100% sure this was the case?

Another more active and recognizable member here than myself and I stayed after an event a couple years ago and got to chat up one of our bigger donors to the program. He made no insinuations after that event. He was quite blunt. RV was not involved in the hiring of SL. I believed him and got no feeling that he was exaggerating anything.  He’d have no reason to lie to us. For that reason, I’m pretty certain of this. But you can draw your own conclusions. I don’t feel like a President who is about to let go of an AD is going to allow an AD to make such a high profile hiring decision. 

Edited by Moobs
  • Upvote 2

On 10/1/2019 at 6:11 PM, I am the source said:

He’s not going for the SMU or K-State quick fix of Juco and transfers  that can just as easily backfire as be successful.

So happy that the current coaches will win the popularity contest with Texas/Oklahoma coaches who have kids who aren't big enough to get P5 five offers, but frankly this is just more feel good garbage that puts us farther behind.  Huge mistake. 

G5 coaches who don't take full advantage of disenfranchised P5 second/third string kids putting themselves in The Portal are living in the past.  Kids want to play... and kids want to be home in Texas closer to Mama and Granny who can't fly to SEC Country for all their football games.  Another bass-ackward decision by Seth, Walerius, and McIntyre if this is true.

Edited by Pavlovs Eagle
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

G5 coaches who don't take full advantage of disenfranchised P5 second/third string kids putting themselves in The Portal are living in the past.  Kids want to play... and kids want to be home in Texas closer to Mama and Granny who can't fly to SEC Country for all their football games.  Another bass-ackward decision by Seth, Walerius, and McIntyre if this is true.

Maybe, it's too early to tell for sure. You certainly correct it can work for a year or two. 

You're allowed a total of 85 full scholarships but you can only give out so many a year - I forget how many. The system is built to favor using the majority of your scholarships on players who will be there for the full four/five years. In the past, a lot of coaches in trouble would push hard for lots of JUCO transfers who only had two year of eligibility. They could build great teams, but in the third year, they started to run into having less than the full 85 players on scholarship which kills depth. I suspect in a few years, teams that put too much emphasis on Portal transfers are going to find they their dozen or so stars but only 70 to 75 other players on scholarship. 

We've seen first hand what happens when you aren't over 80 players on scholarship. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1