More embarrassing

meangreanmick

12 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

By function of being a school with a strong music program, our band is better than that of most G5/low P5 schools.  Did you see SMUs sorry ass band a couple weeks ago? Garbage. Houston’s looked awful on the field and sounded mediocre.
BUT, we take the talent to an extreme and play boring technically sophisticated music. I can appreciate it, but jazz during halftime is wack. 

It's kind of like the children's story The Emperor's New Clothes . 

Jazz sucks, everybody knows it sucks, but nobody wants to be the person to admit it.

(This is where one pseudo-intellectual lies and pretends he actually likes jazz)

How bad is it? Nobody would ever go back to prison if they played KNTU music.

Seriously, how many thousand times can we sit through "A jazz ensemble made famous in 1927 by Spanish composer blah blah blah..."

I'm not saying we need to play Rocky and Star Wars for every halftime show, but I'd love to see the Green Brigade finally cut themselves free of that jazz albatross they've been dragging for over half a century.

I get it, that music was popular at one time, very very long ago, but it's outdated and stinks now. Jazz is to music what Surströmming is to food.

Other than that, I love the Green Brigade.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

On 10/1/2019 at 4:48 PM, Ibleedgreen said:

I am stunned that you guys are complaining about our band. True, I missed the Houston game but I was there for UTSA and the band has never sounded better than it did that night, and they have always been good.

I agree. I only make maybe 1-2 games a season but I can't remember the last time they did a full show and not wasted 2 songs on the dancers.

On 9/30/2019 at 9:48 PM, drex said:

And, called the Green Brigade.  Why not Company B, third artillery?  Same military tone.

brigade

noun
bri·gade | \ bri-ˈgād  \

Definition of brigade

(Entry 1 of 2)

1a: a large body of troops
b: a tactical and administrative unit composed of a headquarters, one or more units of infantry or armor, and supporting units
2: a group of people organized for special activity*

*For example. In England when there is a fire you call out/for the "Fire Brigade". 

• Upvote 2

On 10/1/2019 at 4:53 PM, ADLER said:

Jazz sucks, everybody knows it sucks, but nobody wants to be the person to admit it.

(This is where one pseudo-intellectual lies and pretends he actually likes jazz)

Seriously, how many thousand times can we sit through "A jazz ensemble made famous in 1927 by Spanish composer blah blah blah..."

I'm not saying we need to play Rocky and Star Wars for every halftime show, but I'd love to see the Green Brigade finally cut themselves free of that jazz albatross they've been dragging for over half a century.

I get it, that music was popular at one time, very very long ago, but it's outdated and stinks now. Jazz is to music what Surströmming is to food.

Like it or not, Jazz is America.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, ADLER said:

It was, about 70 years ago, and Chuck Mangione had a popular song 50 years ago, but the music overall is dead, expired, deceased...

Chuck Mangione's hit was 42 years ago. 70 years ago was when the "Big Band Swing" era (the most popular manifestation of Jazz) was coming to an end, but the "Bee Bop" era (Stan Kenton, Charlie Parker etc) was taking off about then. Jazz influenced many people in the Rock era of my youth. Most notably Chicago and Blood Sweat and Tears. 

As I read your absolute statements about Jazz, it reminds me of that old Joke about Neitzsche, who said that "God is Dead". Someone added "Neitzsche is dead....God".  

Need I say more?

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Pretty sure several women in your life are familiar with a Jazz singer in Michael Buble.  Is he dead, expired, deceased?  Jazz doesn't have to be just instrumental.

Thank you for providing the exception that proves the rule.

I agree. It's a dead as a doornail art form that simply is decades past its era, kinda like disco or rap. Is it fun and campy on occasion, yes. Is it appropriate for every halftime, every season,  no.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Thank you for providing the exception that proves the rule.

I agree. It's a dead as a doornail art form that simply is decades past its era, kinda like disco or rap. Is it fun and campy on occasion, yes. Is it appropriate for every halftime, every season,  no.

Oh, I don't think anyone is saying let's have Jazz every year.  And they certainly haven't been playing Jazz during halftime each year.  But if they work it in every 4-5 years or so, I certainly don't mind!

Heck, last year, they were playing Disney Songs over halftime!

Believe it or not, I actually don't hate jazz (even though KNTU only plays trash).

I love old Mangione, Alpert, and even ancient Joplin stuff.

But...the seemingly endless series of unknown (at least in popular culture) jazz is hampering one of the best marching bands in the country with forgettable performances.  It's like going to a Stones concert but all they'll play are Barney tunes.

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2

On 9/30/2019 at 9:48 PM, drex said:

And, called the Green Brigade.  Why not Company B, third artillery?  Same military tone.

The name was chosen by the members of the band in the mid-80s.

On 9/30/2019 at 3:42 PM, untjim1995 said:

But at North Texas, many people do. Its better now, at Apogee, under SL, but I vividly remember waiting in ticket lines at Fouts or the AD where many would tell the ticket agent that they were leaving after halftime and only coming to watch the band.

On 9/29/2019 at 7:42 PM, meangreanmick said:

I kind of expected the On field result, so I was disappointed but not surprised.  We are 2 more good recruiting classes away from being at that level, but on the right track.  

However, even more embarrassing to me was the bands.  Houston demonstrated what a real band does at football games.  Our band is incredibly bad from a football game atmosphere perspective.

Just one example, Houston plays really loudly when we had the ball, right up to a second before the snap in some cases.   When Houston has the ball we play yes very politely and stopped WAAAY before they snapped the ball.  Like the entire 25 second clock before.

Really?  Incredibly bad?  Seriously?  Embarrassing was the scoreboard at the end of the night...but the band?  Ya mean those sweatin students who played their hearts out so you could have something to listen to?  Huh...world’s a weird place...

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

On 10/1/2019 at 4:53 PM, ADLER said:

Traumatized disgust GIF Traumatized disgust GIF andy richter eye roll GIF

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1