More embarrassing

meangreanmick

I kind of expected the On field result, so I was disappointed but not surprised.  We are 2 more good recruiting classes away from being at that level, but on the right track.  

However, even more embarrassing to me was the bands.  Houston demonstrated what a real band does at football games.  Our band is incredibly bad from a football game atmosphere perspective.

Just one example, Houston plays really loudly when we had the ball, right up to a second before the snap in some cases.   When Houston has the ball we play yes very politely and stopped WAAAY before they snapped the ball.  Like the entire 25 second clock before.

• Upvote 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 9

13 minutes ago, meangreanmick said:

I kind of expected the On field result, so I was disappointed but not surprised.  We are 2 more good recruiting classes away from being at that level, but on the right track.  

However, even more embarrassing to me was the bands.  Houston demonstrated what a real band does at football games.  Our band is incredibly bad from a football game atmosphere perspective.

Just one example, Houston plays really loudly when we had the ball, right up to a second before the snap in some cases.   When Houston has the ball we play yes very politely and stopped WAAAY before they snapped the ball.  Like the entire 25 second clock before.

I noticed that too. The band acted like a 12th player for Houston. At first, I was put off by it as I thought disrespectful since we stopped playing before they snapped the ball, but then I was impressed by their savy. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2

Disagree. I thought UH’s band took away from the football experience. They played the same 3 songs the entire game, they played an annoying train on kickoffs, and they had a Disney themed halftime show (we did this a few years ago). They interrupted a few of our songs, too.  Two competing tunes just created noise. 

I was pleasantly surprised when they did not interrupt our post game alma mater. They did have great energy, but overall was not Impressed. I’m liking the direction of our band. GMG!

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Brothers, the comment about the band is so true, UNT band sucks, it's not a marching band; I don't go to a college football game to listen to show tunes (or Jass)  by Williams and Hammerstein. For god sake fire the band director, hire the band director of Grambling, Prairie View A&M or Texas A&M... And, just maybe, play more than two songs at the game. I've been listening to these 2 songs for about 10 years now.

While we're on the subject, stop bringing people on the field during time-outs, ie, tennis team, soccer team, etc. no one cares, (or can hear what's being said) play loud music, a  little Jay Z, Aerosmith, etc. high energy songs creates excitement with the crowd!!!

• Upvote 7
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 14

1 hour ago, UNT78 said:

What was up with the girls throwing wooden guns in the air, stupid!

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

A week ago we pulled the dance team for 4 girls and one portly young man to spin and throw wooden rifles.  Seriously?

There is a historical basis for this.  It’s not random.

https://www.quora.com/Why-does-a-color-guard-use-rifles

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, DemolitionDan said:

They played strategically to kill the momentum of the crowd too. We started a North... Texas... chant and they played right in the middle of it and killed it. Pretty smart. 

To be fair, the Green Brigade did the exact same thing.    I almost dusted off the Ol' Smith Corona and fired off an angry letter right then and there. 

2 hours ago, UNT78 said:

Brothers, the comment about the band is so true, UNT band sucks, it's not a marching band; I don't go to a college football game to listen to show tunes (or Jass)  by Williams and Hammerstein. For god sake fire the band director, hire the band director of Grambling, Prairie View A&M or Texas A&M... And, just maybe, play more than two songs at the game. I've been listening to these 2 songs for about 10 years now.

While we're on the subject, stop bringing people on the field during time-outs, ie, tennis team, soccer team, etc. no one cares, (or can hear what's being said) play loud music, a  little Jay Z, Aerosmith, etc. high energy songs creates excitement with the crowd!!!

I don't go to a football game to watch a band.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

I don't go to a football game to watch a band.

But at North Texas, many people do. Its better now, at Apogee, under SL, but I vividly remember waiting in ticket lines at Fouts or the AD where many would tell the ticket agent that they were leaving after halftime and only coming to watch the band.

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

By function of being a school with a strong music program, our band is better than that of most G5/low P5 schools.  Did you see SMUs sorry ass band a couple weeks ago? Garbage. Houston’s looked awful on the field and sounded mediocre.

BUT, we take the talent to an extreme and play boring technically sophisticated music. I can appreciate it, but jazz during halftime is wack. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1