Rationale Thoughts From a Former Player

UNTLifer

I don’t blame Seth Littrell. I blame many years of poor on field performance before him that put us in the shitter reputation-wise with high school coaches and recruits. If you lose by 20+ in college football it’s normally a talent discrepancy issue. The problem is to fix it you need to win to recruit better. It’s a vicious cycle. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

Last year’s class and this year’s class will be the foundation for really good teams for the next 2-4 years if they work hard and have good team leadership. We aren’t as talented as many teams we face that have had 20-25 3 * recruits coming in for years. We will get there. Take a deep breath everyone...and yes I was as irate as anyone last night.  But, these are good kids that do things the right way and so do our coaches. Bigger picture.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1

From the eyes of a coach and ex college player, the better team won yesterday.

The bigger team controlled the line of scrimmage and when they ran the ball they dominated.  The times when we stood a chance is when they tried to throw it and gave us a chance to make a play on the ball.  They could have easily brought in another tackle lined up toe to heel and there would have been nothing we could do about it.  They had a defensive back that looked like an Alabama Mike Linebacker seriously.  Their slot receivers made our slot receivers look like a JV team when it comes to size.  I know size doesn't automatically mean a team wins but giving up 14 points on special teams and then add the size equals a lose 99% of the time.

• Upvote 5

How many of SMU’s 17 transfers started against UNT in Week 2?

Not downplaying SMU’s aggressiveness to recruit transfers (of which not one played in our game vs SMU last Fall at Apogee);  just merely curious & a bit intrigued with a new way to recruit massive numbers of transfers of which some become instant starters. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

First, the game plan was awful, of course Houston stacked the line, after last week UNT ran the ball for over 300 yards, naturally, Houston figured we thought we could do it again...Seth, our strength in this program is throwing the ball; as you can see, it worked the first series of us having the ball; BTW, that’s the only chance we had was throwing the ball, then the running lanes would have opened up. And yes, Houston was bigger, stronger and faster than UNT, but so was California...Blame Seth or Brodie, it was just a bad game plan folks. Last years team was much better, period! Our cover corners are just too slow, defensive line is too small, linebackers are too small. Bottom line, we got out coach with a more talented team, but their quarterback was unimpressive, if we could have gotten up two touchdowns and continued to throw the ball, might have had a chance

We have a great recruiting class coming in; hopefully, we have  bigger guys on the defensive line, Houston had a guy 6’3” 295 that chanced Mason all night, we have to get bigger, stronger and faster if we want to move up the college food chain. Seth, is a great recruiter and he’ Good for the program “for now”, if he’s patient and stays we’ll get there soon. Let’s hope we can hang on to the recruits we have signed; definitely, consider the graduate transfer rule, look at SMU! 

Lastly, we need to get into the AAC or Mountain West, Conference USA is rapidly declining and doomed to fail; look at the TV revenues, they suck! Yes, for now we have to start winning conference championships first, but let’s have a end game to this league. Perhaps, we can win out in conference play and win the conference championship, that’s a big if; BTW Mason has to start playing better at the first of the game, very disappointing to see he’s not where he was this time last year.

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, GoMeanGreen1999 said:

Crazy to not want SL around anymore. Even a .500 year this year is okay in my opinion. 

really?!?!? .500 in the weakest Conference currently? YEAR 4 in regime given the most $$$ and facilities to play with than any previous coach at UNT, should be completely unacceptable

Edited by untbowler
  • Upvote 2

11 hours ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

From the eyes of a coach and ex college player, the better team won yesterday.

Not a coach or former college player, but that's what I saw too.  I left the game disappointed, but I told my wife, "Houston was the better team tonight.  That's pretty much it."

• Upvote 2