2016 Recruiting Class

BillySee58

I’ve brought this up before, but looking back at this class is really interesting to me. The 2016 class, Littrell’s first, was ranked 8th in CUSA. I get that he had little time to put it together, but even still new coaches usually see a bump in recruiting right away by being able to pitch a new program and early playing time.

There were definitely some big hits in this class, and a lot of transfers. This class should be making up the foundation of this roster as Seniors and Redshirt Juniors, but there are only 10 of them left (which includes Bryce English).

We’re definitely feeling the effects of going so JUCO/transfer heavy right off the bat, as well as not recruiting that well in general. There just isn’t enough there for us to take that big step forward we were hoping for, but there may be enough there for us to win the division, which is where the focus needs to be.

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Season/2016-Football/Commits/

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

With Fine, Bussey Ejiya and Hamilton we have an MVP and 3 first team all conference players out of that class...

And solid starters in Ozougwu and Muhammad.

I don't know what's desirable from a % that should make and impact but it seems REALLY top heavy with not much depth on that first class.....

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

the other factor to consider is how small the class is physically.

I know they were only high school kids and expected to grow/gain weight, but they are just small.

That's the thing that really stands out to me. I don't think we're necessarily out coached or the game plan/play calling is bad, it's just that we're out matched, especially up front. We have quality skill players, but until we start putting emphasis on recruiting big, agile linemen, this will continue to be a problem. I know it's easier said than done but it has to be done or we aint goin anywhere. The old adage stands. Game are won and lost at the line of scrimmage

• Upvote 1

Didn't the coach before Seth say it is hard to recruit to UNT?

Were we 1-11 that year? 

Didn't we have the worst loss to an FCS ever that year?

Isn't it well documented that high school coaches didn't want to send their guys here?

I understand that we are all disappointed that we haven't taken that giant next step we expected. But don't act like we haven't come a long way in 4 years.

Edited by RiseUNT
  • Upvote 3
  • Ray 1