Just SICK

NTEX91

1 minute ago, NTEX91 said:

Wish I could believe that.  I see two or three wins the rest of the way.  Hope I am wrong.

We play Rice, UTEP, and Charlotte. Those are three of the worst FBS teams out there. We will them. It’s what we do against MUTS, USM, UAB, and LT that determines where we go, but splitting those games gets you to 7-5. At the beginning of the year, I had us 8-4, with losses to UH, Cal, LT and either SMU or USM. That still looks very possible.

• Upvote 4

ODU was terrible last year and we managed to squander a 28 point lead.  I just don’t trust our coaching staff anymore.  We should be able to run the table, but right now i’am not sure the table doesn’t run us.  If we don’t play to our potential, any team left on our schedule could be a potential loss.  I’am tired of getting hyped on this team only to get gut punched.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, NTEX91 said:

ODU was terrible last year and we managed to squander a 28 point lead.  I just don’t trust our coaching staff anymore.  We should be able to run the table, but right now i’am not sure the table doesn’t run us.  If we don’t play to our potential, any team left on our schedule could be a potential loss.  I’am tired of getting hyped on this team only to get gut punched.

Amen.

Charlotte isn't that bad of a team, and LeMay is a beast. I had us going 9-3, but at this point I have 6-6. No trust in playcalling at all!

They got out played.  I’ll second what south side guy said - bring on conference play.  Historically we’re a .500 team - it is what it is.  We ain’t Bama or Texas or whoever.  Let’s not let water cooler talk get you out of perspective - a .500 team in Texas is what we are.  You want dominance?  Do what everybody else in the metroplex does and affiliate yourself with the Longhorns or the Sooners or whoever is hot this decade.  You want to root for your Mean Green?  Then take the good with the bad.   Least you know where you stand.  Win or lose, lay your chips on the Mean Green.  And when they lose you accept it.  Shit, it ain’t like they tried to lose the game - they played hard, they lost, move on to the next opponent and learn from your mistakes and all that jazz. Let’s not start acting like aggy where we think we’re intitled to something because we’re not.  We’re a good team and sometimes good teams lose.  Sometimes they win.  Recently we’ve won more that we’ve lost.  The crowd I saw tonight at Apogee is so much more improved that what I saw at Fouts forever.  Course I want them to win, but sometimes the good Lord doesn’t give ya what you want.  But ya get what ya need.  I’m proud of our guys for fightin till the end, disappointed but hell, life’s full of disappointments.  I’m stepping off my soap box.  Go Mean Green and let’s kick the shit out of the next team we face.  

Edited by ChiefTenBeers2015
  • Upvote 7
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 4

4 minutes ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

They got out played.  I’ll second what south side guy said - bring on conference play.  Historically we’re a .500 team - it is what it is.  We ain’t Bama or Texas or whoever.  Let’s not let water cooler talk get you out of perspective - a .500 team in Texas is what we are.  You want dominance?  Do what everybody else in the metroplex does and affiliate yourself with the Longhorns or the Sooners or whoever is hot this decade.  You want to root for your Mean Green?  Then take the good with the bad.   Least you know where you stand.  Win or lose, lay your chips on the Mean Green.  And when they lose you accept it.  Shit, it ain’t like they tried to lose the game - they played hard, they lost, move on to the next opponent and learn from your mistakes and all that jazz. Let’s not start acting like aggy where we think we’re intitled to something because we’re not.  We’re a good team and sometimes good teams lose.  Sometimes they win.  Recently we’ve won more that we’ve lost.  The crowd I saw tonight at Apogee is so much more improved that what I saw at Fouts forever.  Course I want them to win, but sometimes the good Lord doesn’t give ya what you want.  But ya get what ya need.  I’m proud of our guys for fightin till the end, disappointed but hell, life’s full of disappointments.  I’m stepping off my soap box.  Go Mean Green and let’s kick the shit out of the next team we face.  

This is absolute craziness and what is wrong with the foundation of this program. 

Too many fans, alum, donors, season ticket holders, students that has never even attended a game, etc. think exactly like this. It's a toxic mentality for a program trying to rise up. Because once this mindset, which is the historical mindset, sets in it's malignant and incurable. 

I get the, "Let's not kill ourselves or each other about it" mentality, but this post is telling and more than that. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

So we shouldn’t have expectations just because we are North Texas?

• Upvote 3

Nobody is talking about beating Bama or the Aggies.  It’s SMU, Cal and a depleted Houston team.  With the talent on this team we should have taken all three.  The bar has been raised.  We should be expecting more than 500 in a G5 conference.  Look at the upgrade in our facilities.  We could save a hell of a lot of money and go back to where we were if we wanted to settle for just 500.  I believe our university deserves a great deal more.  We have made progress.  It may be time to move forward.

• Upvote 5

24 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This is absolute craziness and what is wrong with the foundation of this program. 

Too many fans, alum, donors, season ticket holders, students that has never even attended a game, etc. think exactly like this. It's a toxic mentality for a program trying to rise up. Because once this mindset, which is the historical mindset, sets in it's malignant and incurable. 

I get the, "Let's not kill ourselves or each other about it" mentality, but this post is telling and more than that. 

I don’t know.  All I’m saying is we need to keep perspective.  If you’ve ever played the game then you know that it’s not just the coaches or the players that you can point a finger at.  There’s still the guys on the other side of the line of scrimmage who have a say in the matter.  That’s what makes the game so beautiful.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

44 minutes ago, ChiefTenBeers2015 said:

Me after reading this:

FB_IMG_1566930102500.jpg

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

So we shouldn’t have expectations just because we are North Texas?

No, but we shouldn’t knee jerk because the admin has built this image of our Indian QB being a Heisman sleeper and the next coming of Christ.  And before you millennials get your panties in a wad, check yourself before you wreck yourself - I’m an Indian so I can say that.  

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

UH may have been a depleted team, if losing two players can do that to a program.   However, they were also bigger, faster, and deeper at most positions.   

NT once again started like they were totally uninterested in the game. 

Then some genius in the NT coaching staff decided that short kickoffs were a good option.   So good that NT gave up one return for a TD, and gave UH field position on two others on their 40 yard line.  One of those was crammed down NT's defense for another easy td.

Seldom are kickoffs ran back anymore, and NT's kicker even against the wind would have put the ball near or in the end zone.     This turned the entire game around and maybe the most questionable coaching I have seen at NT.  

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

We play Rice, UTEP, and Charlotte. Those are three of the worst FBS teams out there. We will them. It’s what we do against MUTS, USM, UAB, and LT that determines where we go, but splitting those games gets you to 7-5. At the beginning of the year, I had us 8-4, with losses to UH, Cal, LT and either SMU or USM. That still looks very possible.

UTEP does stink and Charlotte is only dominating FCS schools, but Rice is outperforming preseason expectations.   Not saying they are world beaters, but for example, Rice lost to LA Tech in OT last night and only had a one possession loss to Baylor and Army. 

• Upvote 2

I didn't see the Cal game., but SMU and Houston beat us because they were much better teams on both sides of the ball. With 7 games left, we should win 4 to 5 of them. However, we are over rated this year, and just not as good as last years team. Having said that, I don't think we should just shrug our shoulders and accept this years level of play. Expect more or you will get less.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, wardly said:

I didn't see the Cal game., but SMU and Houston beat us because they were much better teams on both sides of the ball. With 7 games left, we should win 4 to 5 of them. However, we are over rated this year, and just not as good as last years team. Having said that, I don't think we should just shrug our shoulders and accept this years level of play. Expect more or you will get less.

Agree with you here. This team is just not as good as last years team across the board. Disappointing, considering all the “success” the last few years that this team couldn’t recruit enough to push itself over the hump. 

• Upvote 2