Time to start questioning Seth?

mgfan

23 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

These are all pretty close. Easy to spot SL because of the bowl record. But I'd probably go #3, #2, #4, #1.

My logic is because the other two only played in two bowl games so they must have had a losing season in there too. Because this takes into consideration his first year when he inherited a 1 win team, I'd like to see this same break down using only 2+ seasons. The previous two plus this one.

Interestingly enough....coach 1 had a 6 win season and didn't get picked for a bowl whereas coach 2 got into a bowl with a 5 win season...

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

"Blind" Resumes of CUSA West Coaches the past 3+ seasons:

Coach         Record         Conf Record           Bowls            Best Finish                     Coach         

1                24-18               16-9                        1-1                2nd West                Jay Hopson - USM

2                25-20               16-9                        0-3                1st West                 Seth Littrell - UNT

3                28-17               17-9                        3-0                1st West                 Skip Holtz - La Tech

4                28-15               17-8                        1-1              Conf Champs           Bill Clark - UAB

I looked across that field and saw a team that was over matched above all else.  Occasionally you win those, most often you lose and sometimes you get blown out.  So how should I think about the current state of affairs?   Should we compare it to the end of Dickey years?  Towards the end of Dickey era he was recruiting a bunch of 1 stars and in total despair about the programs lack of funding, leadership support and fans.  He was burnt out and not motivated and I can't blame him. The current state of the Seth era? He is on the verge of two great recruiting classes in a row. He has full support and funding from the University.  His facilities are as good in the G5 as you will find anywhere in the nation. Finally he has seen some of the best crowds for home games in the programs history.  Seth has zero reason to be discouraged about the future and nowhere to lay blame except at his own feet.  
I fully believe that Seth is in himself a work in-progress and he will keep learning and building and improving.  He is in the perfect situation to do just that.  And, if he is the kind of coach that his bad years is 5-6 wins and the good years we are competing for championships then I would say its a big risk to think we should replace him.  

• Upvote 6

3 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

"Blind" Resumes of CUSA West Coaches the past 3+ seasons:

Coach         Record         Conf Record           Bowls           Best Finish

1                24-18               16-9                        1-1                2nd West

2                25-20               16-9                        0-3                1st West

3                28-17               17-9                        3-0                1st West

4                28-15               17-8                        1-1              Conf Champs

Rank them

This is a good post to sort of see where we stand as a program and where SL stands as a coach. I know for fact who 4 and 2 are. Not sure as to who 1 and 3 are without looking it up. So, with that...

Give me #4 based on most wins, overall and in conference, as well as a bowl champ trophy + conference champ trophy. 

Next, I'll take #3 based on most wins, overall and in conference, and 3 bowl trophies. 

Next, #1 based 3rd highest overall winning percentage, and a bowl champ trophy. 

Last, #4 based on the worst winning percentage overall, and 0-fer in bowls. 

And here we are, like dopes, throwing money at people who have brought us not much of nothing. 

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

You could also throw Lane Kiffin in there as someone, as far as blind resumes are concerned, a sane person would pick over Seth Littrell's resume...

19-12 Overall  12-5 in Conference + 1 bowl trophy + 1 conference championship. 

There are 4 coaches in this conference, per their results, who have performed better than Seth Littrell has. Yet, somehow, SL I believe is the highest paid of them all. 

• Downvote 1

On 9/28/2019 at 10:44 PM, mgfan said:

I believe Seth has taken this program as far as he can.  

No conference championship 

No bowl wins 

Struggles with teams who have records .500 or better. 

I don't understand they play calling.  Go for two 2 pts conversions but not an onside kick? 

Why doesn't he ever challenge a call?  There were at least 2 plays that were very close. 

Why leave fine in?  If he is here next year or not,  wouldn't it be vaulable to get a qb some reps? 

Seems like Graham was the reason for all the winning. 

What are y'alls thoughts? 

I think every fan has the right to be frustrated but I do feel recruiting has been heading in the right direction.  I also think it's a little early to give up entirely on Littrell.  Briles at baylor was only 25-25 overall after four years with only one winning conference record of 6-3 in 2011.  Littrell is already at 25 wins with over half of his fourth season left.  I think having patience with Seth will ultimately payoff.  

Edited by RaiderEagle
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1