Time to start questioning Seth?

mgfan

We were physically beat! 

Houston’ s OL and DL players were huge!

6-6, and 6-7 guys, all at around 300.  Our guys looked like midgets next to the Houston players. Their WR’s were all tall and fast

Same for the Houston DL players. Their DL players were huge. Their safeties and CB’s were 6-2, 6-3.

The game was determined early by  Houston’s line - just dominated our guys. 

Now with our conference teams, I can see NT playing much better with more equal talent to our guys. I can see us running the table in conference play. A new season is going to begin very soon!

• Upvote 7

You’re not going to recruit better, bigger, whatever you want to call it, players by being a member of CUSA. That’s the reality, Seth obviously has his shortcomings but he’s further handicapped by the conference he plays in. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

First thing he needs to do is fire Reffett. Part of the job description as the head coach is getting rid of poorly performing position coaches. If he doesn't have the wherewithal to do that, then serious questions need to be asked about him. Obviously he's done a lot for this program but after a while, you need to stop looking at it through green tinted glasses and see that our record under Seth in games that matter is embarrassingly horrendous. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Victorygreen04 said:

Bowl losses don't make a coach bad. SL has turned our entire program around on and off the field he has got people to buy in like no other coach I have seen at UNT. 

He’s been the beneficiary of coaching in the worst conference in the country and weak non conference schedules. All he’s done is not be a total disaster with what he has to work with here (location, administration, facilities). 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

5 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

You’re not going to recruit better, bigger, whatever you want to call it, players by being a member of CUSA. That’s the reality, Seth obviously has his shortcomings but he’s further handicapped by the conference he plays in. 

What? That’s the only reason he gets 8-9 wins. Because he plays in CUSA.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

38 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

UTEP does stink and Charlotte is only dominating FCS schools, but Rice is outperforming preseason expectations.   Not saying they are world beaters, but for example, Rice lost to LA Tech in OT last night and only had a one possession loss to Baylor and Army. 

6 hours ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

We were physically beat! 

6-6, and 6-7 guys, all at around 300.  Our guys looked like midgets next to the Houston players. Their WR’s were all tall and fast

Same for the Houston DL players. Their DL players were huge. Their safeties and CB’s were 6-2, 6-3.

The game was determined early by  Houston’s line - just dominated our guys. 

Now with our conference teams, I can see NT playing much better with more equal talent to our guys. I can see us running the table in conference play. A new season is going to begin very soon!

• Confused 1

SL will be on to a P-5 school after this year if he doesn't have an agreement in place. He has increased our standards a lot but I think the OC is bad.  I still we need a play where the qb lines up under center on 3rd and short.  UH had one and used it.  I think King may want to enter the transfer portal because Tune is their future.

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

35 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

SL will be on to a P-5 school after this year if he doesn't have an agreement in place. He has increased our standards a lot but I think the OC is bad.  I still we need a play where the qb lines up under center on 3rd and short.  UH had one and used it.  I think King may want to enter the transfer portal because Tune is their future.

I don’t know why we assume he is leaving. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

If anything the NT play thus far, is going to insure that Littrell remains in Denton.  

What P5 is going to want a G5 coach with a mediocre overall record and a horrible one in big games? 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

First thing he needs to do is fire Reffett. Part of the job description as the head coach is getting rid of poorly performing position coaches. If he doesn't have the wherewithal to do that, then serious questions need to be asked about him. Obviously he's done a lot for this program but after a while, you need to stop looking at it through green tinted glasses and see that our record under Seth in games that matter is embarrassingly horrendous. 

I said this since they hired him. Ekeler did a great job, but got poached by a P5. He just doesn't know how to coach

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I said this since they hired him. Ekeler did a great job, but got poached by a P5. He just doesn't know how to coach

I agree with you 100%. I've been one of the most vocal on here about wanting Ref gone for over a year now. He's had 3 years to build his foundation; and each year, we've gotten curb stomped by over 50 points in every game that matters. Now the situation is devolving to the point that we have given up over 150 points in 5 games, and the defense looks clueless and has now forgotten how to tackle. I don't see how that situation is salvageable. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I agree with you 100%. I've been one of the most vocal on here about wanting Ref gone for over a year now. He's had 3 years to build his foundation; and each year, we've gotten curb stomped by over 50 points in every game that matters. Now the situation is devolving to the point that we have given up over 150 points in 5 games, and the defense looks clueless and has now forgotten how to tackle. I don't see how that situation is salvageable. 

2018 he had the pieces, but didn't do well when under pressure. 2017 felt better than this year, but the defense was always gassed or getting burned. The best example was the Army game. We had to outscore every opponent we played, and this year we get in a huge hole that we can't get out of. 

Was never and will never be a fan of Reffett

• Upvote 1

Just now, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

2018 he had the pieces, but didn't do well when under pressure. 2017 felt better than this year, but the defense was always gassed or getting burned. The best example was the Army game. We had to outscore every opponent we played, and this year we get in a huge hole that we can't get out of. 

Was never and will never be a fan of Reffett

I agree. Yet Seth doesn't hold him accountable. Not once have I heard Seth hold anyone accountable. If Ref isn't fired by the end of this year, this team won't even be worth watching next year. It will be the same broken record. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I agree. Yet Seth doesn't hold him accountable. Not once have I heard Seth hold anyone accountable. If Ref isn't fired by the end of this year, this team won't even be worth watching next year. It will be the same broken record. 

Well if this year plays out like this board is predicting it, I would doubt we would see any of the same faces. Probably Cobbs Reeder and the equipment guy 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Well if this year plays out like this board is predicting it, I would doubt we would see any of the same faces. Probably Cobbs Reeder and the equipment guy 

Yup, you can't get paid that much money just to regress to the point that we have. Heads need to roll

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Expectations have changed but results haven't Big game Seth continues to flop when it matters most. We also have the most insanely terrible defensive performances in these games.

2017: FAU 69, UNT 31, CCG: FAU 41 UNT 17, Bowl: Troy 50 UNT 30

2018: Bowl: Utah State 52 UNT 13

2019: Two 20+ point losses to Houston and SMU.

But hey, we sure can beat teams like UTSA what are we bitching about?

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Don't question it on Twitter or a bunch of former players and blind loyalists will tell you you're crazy.

I don't know that we should fire him, but am I tired of being embarrassed multiple times a season.

Okay well I would much rather have SL than Reffett. He is just not good, and I've been saying this for 3 years

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

We were physically beat! 

UH and SMU showed us the wide gap in talent between the AAC and CUSA.  Both teams were simply much bigger, stronger, faster than our guys. 

To play with those teams, we really have to recruit at a higher level.  The 2019 class was good and 2020 looks good to this point.  There's only so much you can do when your OL and DL are getting pushed around all game - and your opponent's WR's look like speedy giants next to your entire defense.  We looked like we were playing in quicksand...

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, ForneyGreen said:

UH and SMU showed us the wide gap in talent between the AAC and CUSA.  Both teams were simply much bigger, stronger, faster than our guys. 

To play with those teams, we really have to recruit at a higher level. 

That’s what game planning is for. And we haven’t done a good job of it this year. At all. 

With that said, Seth has done some really great things here, and given how he is recruiting any talk of buying him out and hiring someone different is crazy talk. 

• Upvote 1

56 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Don't question it on Twitter or a bunch of former players and blind loyalists will tell you you're crazy.

I don't know that we should fire him, but am I tired of being embarrassed multiple times a season.

What are they defending? What aspect of the game? Or are they just defending the person, Seth Littrell rather than the Coach, Seth Littrell? As to what they are able to defend, I am curious to know what angle these people are taking? 

25 minutes ago, ForneyGreen said:

To play with those teams, we really have to recruit at a higher level.  The 2019 class was good and 2020 looks good to this point.  There's only so much you can do when your OL and DL are getting pushed around all game - and your opponent's WR's look like speedy giants next to your entire defense.  We looked like we were playing in quicksand...

I call bull on this talent gap you speak of. 

Yes, they have a composite talent advantage. But they made us look like an FCS program. While just last season, we made SMU look like an FCS program and Army babied UH. I am not buying into this talent gap as THE problem. There is another variable to this we either aren't paying attention to or refuse to admit. 

• Upvote 1