RED SHIRT - NEEDS A NEW NAME

El Paso Eagle

OK, basically the Red Shirt was intended to give a first year player a year to "grow" or help a player who had another issue physical requiring them to sit out.

Well, now it's taken a drastic turn in direction. So, to be more in line with the new "motivation", I recommend the NCAA offers the "ME SHIRT" for those players who sit out for their own "potentially good" situations.

PS - Prediction --

At some point in the near future there will be a team struggling after the first 3-4 games and the players will turn against the coach, AD, etc. 

They when then, as a large group, threaten to "me shirt" if changes are not made.

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

OK, basically the Red Shirt was intended to give a first year player a year to "grow" or help a player who had another issue physical requiring them to sit out.

Well, now it's taken a drastic turn in direction. So, to be more in line with the new "motivation", I recommend the NCAA offers the "ME SHIRT" for those players who sit out for their own "potentially good" situations.

PS - Prediction --

At some point in the near future there will be a team struggling after the first 3-4 games and the players will turn against the coach, AD, etc. 

They when then, as a large group, threaten to "me shirt" if changes are not made.

Totally agree

• Upvote 1

There should only be medical RS and it needs to be heavily monitored/limited.  No fake injuries.

I have assumed that part of RS is that the time commitment often limits them to taking 12 hrs which makes it take longer to graduate, so they give them the 5 years.  (I really don't know the full history of RS).  But if kids are showing they can be done in 3 years, then we don't need to give them 5 yrs of eligibility.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

There should only be medical RS and it needs to be heavily monitored/limited.  No fake injuries.

The very reason they implemented the new rule was so the NCAA wouldn't have to review and judge all the applications for hardship waivers ("medical redshirts").

I really don't think the new redshirt rule is as much the problem as is the new transfer portal.

• Lovely Take 1