Caylin Newton QB Howard U Redshirts

Danish43

21 minutes ago, ABrownGMG said:

That really has nothing to do with these young men’s decision though. They’re not getting paid regardless of if fans show up or not. 

Guess that free ride thru college and a small monthly stipend doesn't count.....guess......show me the money!! 

• Thanks 1

No one is holding a gun to their heads forcing them to play.  The vast majority will end their athletic careers when they graduate.  They are being given the opportunity to play a game they love in an environment most only dream of with the best coaches, facilities and atmosphere they will ever have.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RBP79 said:

Guess that free ride thru college and a small monthly stipend doesn't count.....guess......show me the money!! 

But like, it doesn’t. If attendance drops this season it’s highly unlikely that the program loses scholarships in the immediate season. The decision to redshirt literally won’t affect him financially at all. I’m not saying it’s right I’m just saying it is what it is. 

2 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

So they should be ambivalent if their football program fails?

Poor attendance almost never reflects poorly on a student. That falls on admin and coaches. There’s a lot of reasons that he should be criticized for the decision but the impact to attendance isn’t one of them.

It will be important for coaches to recruit character and not just extremely talented.  Sounds weird but if you are trying to build a program you need commitment.  The athletes are always going to get their run at the big programs, but for G5 really check a kid's head short experience and thinking.  How does he think, goals...loyalty, living with ups and downs and challenges and growing from them and shining when you rise still has merit.

GMG