UNT & the Green Brigade Welcomes “the Spirit of Houston!”

PlummMeanGreen

🔴

(from the CoogFans forum this blurb & pic)

“For the first time ever the Spirit of Houston and @UNTGreenBrigade will play together during the game tomorrow! See you guys in Denton and as always #GoCoogs

9DFDDF61-CF49-47EC-AA43-305A29E97B92.jpeg.b01a4d2a7ab809839ffea162d19ac984.jpeg

Ain’t college football the greatest?

❇️ GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

🔴️ The Spirit of Houston Marching Band used to coordinate Astrodome UH Band Days which  first began at Rice Stadium in the 50’s & then “the Dome” in the 60’s. They were pretty cool events.

This was a UH Band Day in about 1966 with the Tonight Shows (then maestro) Skitch Henderson as the celebrity guest conductor. The next year the new Tonight Show’s maestro Doc Severinson was guest celeb conductor. 

As I recall the Coogs played Lou Holtz’ NC State Wolfpack the evening this B & W photo was taken.  

A7BFE0B7-9E45-40F7-B81D-95CA992F83EE.jpeg.f54ae89e34ec44e0264fadedc4f87643.jpeg

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

🔴

(from the CoogFans forum this blurb & pic)

“For the first time ever the Spirit of Houston and @UNTGreenBrigade will play together during the game tomorrow! See you guys in Denton and as always #GoCoogs

9DFDDF61-CF49-47EC-AA43-305A29E97B92.jpeg.b01a4d2a7ab809839ffea162d19ac984.jpeg

Ain’t college football the greatest?

❇️ GMG!

Are they talking about the Bands being on the field at the same time, or just being in the same stadium for the first time? Because the Green Brigade went to our last game with them @Houston.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Are they talking about the Bands being on the field at the same time, or just being in the same stadium for the first time? Because the Green Brigade went to our last game with them @Houston.

SilverEagle, it is kind of unclear as its stated, but it sounds to me like they’ll be 2 combined Marching Bands at some point.  Maybe someone from UH connected to their band program can explain. 

GMG! 

• Eye Roll 1

💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

MAGNIFICANT!  You have to be in your Apogee  seats early to hear this gig

THEIR GIG WILL GET ️ ️‘s 

THE GIG:  Just heard  combined UH & UNT marching bands 3 hours before kick-off as they practiced  “America the Beautiful” & you “honest to goodness” cannot believe how great they sounded.  They will do that song for the Pre-Game.  Be early! 👍👍

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

2 Green Brigaders told me at NY Sub Hub hours before the game that the UH Band would combine with the GB for both the pregame & half time show albeit they didn't. They were both superb for the half time show.  Wish our favorite football team could have done as well.  Oh well...😩

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

On 9/28/2019 at 8:53 AM, PlummMeanGreen said:

🔴️ The Spirit of Houston Marching Band used to coordinate Astrodome UH Band Days which  first began at Rice Stadium in the 50’s & then “the Dome” in the 60’s. They were pretty cool events.

This was a UH Band Day in about 1966 with the Tonight Shows (then maestro) Skitch Henderson as the celebrity guest conductor. The next year the new Tonight Show’s maestro Doc Severinson was guest celeb conductor. 

As I recall the Coogs played Lou Holtz’ NC State Wolfpack the evening this B & W photo was taken.  

A7BFE0B7-9E45-40F7-B81D-95CA992F83EE.jpeg.f54ae89e34ec44e0264fadedc4f87643.jpeg

This is so ancient 

• Skeptical Eagle 1

8 hours ago, Big Z said:

This is so ancient 

So am I, but at my age just happy to remember anything since Alzheimer’s runs in the family.  Some of you younger alums need to know many of us were also young at one time but that doesn’t last forever.  Be respectful instead of rude because one day you may also be fighting to be relevant.  

• Upvote 3
  • Ray 1

22 hours ago, untcampbell said:

Silver, you know it can. You saw it in week 2.

GMG

Weeell, I think you may have something there. Other schools like LaTech have been doing something similar.....but not quite as dramatic. 

4 hours ago, MrStrange18 said:

Forreal... the band has been a 180 from last year.

I haven't seen the Green Brigade this energetic in decades. I was dubious about how well a 450 member band could move well and promote energy, but I've been pleasantly surprised. Also, "Fessor Cook" has done something historical with his North Texas themed fanfare to start pregame.  I've never heard a custom fanfare at NT, and I've been watching the Band since the mid sixties.  And the Band is having so much FUN!

It's infectious...........😉

• Upvote 2