Good C-USA Hoops Preview

Coach Bill Lewis

• 2 weeks later...

Being picked second with no player on first or second team speaks well for overall team expectations. Rose stats dropped big time his sophomore year, and his third year may start with suspension for DWI. Given his second year stats and overall team strength, that may not hurt us too much. 

Smart was a liability last year, he just never seemed to recover from a pre-season injury.    Physically, he looked ok after a few games, but he lost his touch somewhere.   

This team should be deep and even if Smart doesn't return to form, there are now players that can take his place. 

NT losing their best player in Woolridge transferring definitely will hurt.   

NT has proven players in Gibson and Z. Simmons plus designated bomber Draper and part time starter J. Simmons.  The rest of the team are new.   Alcindor some how lost his redshirt but barely played.  

That leaves a boatload of new players that have not stepped on the court in a real game for NT.   Including Alcindor there are 7 new players plus 2 new walk-ons joining the team.  

McCasland definitely has a challenge this year. 

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/28/2019 at 10:16 AM, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I really hope we can live up to the expectations!

I believe we have very low expectations. Especially after seeing the football program. This is the least excited I have been about a basketball season since Trilli was the coach. There is no hype and no one is taking about us. 

I really hope we are a sleeping giant, but until I see us compete with OU at home I am skeptical. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/26/2019 at 10:56 AM, Andrew said:

I believe we have very low expectations. Especially after seeing the football program. This is the least excited I have been about a basketball season since Trilli was the coach. There is no hype and no one is taking about us. 

I really hope we are a sleeping giant, but until I see us compete with OU at home I am skeptical. 

ehh I would have to disagree. Sure we are a team with very few expectations, but Coach Mac did a fantastic job on getting the JUCO guys and the other D1. 

I'll tell you this, that 2016-17 pre season was looking bad. Had us at 13 if i'm correct.

This OOC is finally a challenge, so it should get us prepared for C-USA play

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2

• 4 months later...

Revisiting some season previews:

I would say UNT is easily the pleasant surprise of CUSA.  Coaches picked us as 7th!  That gives Coach a leg-up on Coach of the Year awards
UTSA fits the mold of the disappointment of the year.  They finished as a 10 seed after being picked to finish second.

http://conferenceusa.com/news/2019/10/17/wku-tabbed-mens-basketball-preseason-favorite.aspx

• Upvote 1