Official Houston Game Score Prediction Thread

MeanGreenTexan

What a week it's been!   North Texas exercised some demons on Saturday and (finally) thoroughly dominated the Roadrunners for the first win of the season that did not come with "concerns" from the fan base.

Meanwhile, Houston has lost to some very very good teams, oh, and uh, their superstar QB just "redshirted" on the team, looking forward to next year!! 🙄 

It seems that North Texas is finally up to speed, and I have no idea what kind of team is going to come up to Denton from Houston this weekend.  Will they be locked in and play hard for Holgorsen?  Or has the rest of the team punted this season like their coach and QB?

I cannot see how Houston plays hard against anyone for the remainder of the season with the events that unfolded (and the bizarre way in which they did) this week and this game could get VERY ugly in a hurry... think NT/PortlandSt level give-up.   Couple Houston's lack of effort with NT needing to make a statement that 'just because SMU beat us doesn't mean we're not still a top team in Texas', and you have a recipe for disaster for the Cougars.

Give me,

NT: 51
Houston: 20

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1

There are just too many question marks on this one. Does UH quit now? Does Tune come in and fire them up? Are they quitters or are they a wounded animal in a corner ready to fight? Our defense hasn’t been able to stop anyone who can pass effectively and that is the hallmark of a Holgorson team. 

Just enjoy the game and hope the good guys win!!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I really don't see a blow out.  One big thing, they normally recruit better which means better athletes for the most part and more depth. Two statistical observations: Not including King's rushing stats, Houston still rushed for over 100 yards against all of their opponents (including Oklahoma). UNT is ranked 94th in Rush Defense (177.5 YPG). Good news for UNT is that Houston is ranked 108 in rush defense (199.5YPG) so if Siggers runs hard (which he will), he will have a field day. Also, Tune isn't bad. He was a freshmen last year and has some games under his belt which makes him a wildcard. He could be just average (looking at you CAL QB) but if the Houston receivers are big and physical, our secondary is toast. Let's not have a repeat of SMU where expectations were ridiculous and we missed the obvious signs of transfers/recruits that are sometimes just faster/more athletic. I don't think Houston's locker room will be as fractured as some people think. All that being said, this feels like UNT's game to lose. I just think overall, UNT has a defense that MIGHT be figuring some things out and an offense that has figured themselves out. Houston just lost their offensive identity and the defense is just as porous as UNT's. 

Give me UNT 34-24 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, CK4 said:

Our main three receivers Lark, Stevenson and Bradley are too fast and too physical for UNTs secondary. UNT has not seen a receiver with Stevenson's speed at all.

Porter and Carr are extremely physical running backs which js also a foreign concept for UNT's defense seeing as they aren't a very physical bunch

Tune actually has a stronger arm than King.

Looking at height, weight and eye test our offensive line is almost double the size of UNTs dline (figuratively speaking)

While our defense especially our secondary leaves muchs to be desired, our two underclassmen linebackers Mutin and Kirven have been lights out and our rush end Anenih had the 8th most sacks in the country, averaging 2 a game and I most certainly expect him to sack Fine a few times. Our nickel Stuard is great with short range passes and leads our team in tackles.

Overall I expect our superior size, speed and athleticism to overwhelm UNT similar to how Cal and SMU did. 

Coogs win 45-21 and I anticipate a beautiful meltdown on this board when it happens.

Just like you did against Tulane? Did you even watch the game? 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, CK4 said:

Our main three receivers Lark, Stevenson and Bradley are too fast and too physical for UNTs secondary. UNT has not seen a receiver with Stevenson's speed at all.

Porter and Carr are extremely physical running backs which js also a foreign concept for UNT's defense seeing as they aren't a very physical bunch

Looking at height, weight and eye test our offensive line is almost double the size of UNTs dline (figuratively speaking)

While our defense especially our secondary leaves muchs to be desired, our two underclassmen linebackers Mutin and Kirven have been lights out and our rush end Anenih had the 8th most sacks in the country, averaging 2 a game and I most certainly expect him to sack Fine a few times. Our nickel Stuard is great with short range passes and leads our team in tackles.

Overall I expect our superior size, speed and athleticism to overwhelm UNT similar to how Cal and SMU did. 

Coogs win 45-21 and I anticipate a beautiful meltdown on this board when it happens.

I want what your smokin!!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, CK4 said:

Related image

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Mental toughness will be the deciding factor. Are the cougars fired up at the opportunity to prove people wrong or have they switched off the lights like they did in their bow game. They are very talented and have lost against really good teams like we have. I still think we win because we are at home but some of these blowout numbers seem a bit much

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CK4 said:

You do realize that if your Nickel guy leads in tackles, that’s not good right?

Also, pretty sure CK4 dreams of playing baby bird for the starting offensive line because he likes their size.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

Along with others on this board, I really dont know what to expect from Houston and how this Circus down south will affect them. They could come to Apogee and lay an egg or give us one hell of a run.

King was their offense and I know Tune is a stud himself but Tune is not going to beat us with his feet and have our D running all over the place. Porter is now their leading rush since their King quit (312 yds) and really hasn't been able to get things going to their run game the last two games and Their O'line gave up 4 sacks to PV A&M and 12 on the year. Outside of Stevenson the WR core is pretty pedestrian especially since Corbin left. I am very interested to see what they can bring to the table against our D that has hit their stride the last two games but struggles severely against the pass.

Houstons Defense does provide pressure with 9 sacks on the year and Anenih having 4 of them and their D has only forced 2 INT's which our D has done the same. They give up a lot of points and allow a lot of yards to the tune of 500 yards a game...WOWZA. You can blame the bad defense on the competition they faced but damn thats a lot of yards!! PVAMU QB threw for 248 so I know Mason can get that done especially if our ground game is rolling!

I think this could easily be a shoot out so I am going with

UNT: 38

Houston: 35

• Upvote 4