DRC (updated): Houston QB D'Eriq King to sit out remainder of season

Brett Vito

If I was a Houston fan I would be crazy angry.  The same way I would feel if Mason Fine made the same announcement today before Saturday's game.  Coach Littrell frequently mentions the character of his players as well as their abilities on the field.  He refers to it as their "being a great teammate."  This quitter King is no "great teammate."

I looked forward to beating Houston with their team firing at 100%.  Now, I'm concerned about a possible let down in our locker room. 

There is a ton about this story I don't know about let alone understand but if I were the head coach at Houston, I wouldn't let this quitter anywhere near my team.  Let him officially stay on the team throughout the season but I wouldn't let him travel and I would have him turn in his gear and stay away from the locker room. 

GO MEAN GREEN

• Upvote 5
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Those of you worried about the our guys slacking simply because D'Eriq King is not going to be playing must think they don't know they're only 2-2 right now.   Make no mistake, the Mean Green will play like their scrotums are on fire.

If my scrotum was on fire, I probably wouldn't be playing.  Curled up in fetal position maybe.  

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Those of you worried about the our guys slacking simply because D'Eriq King is not going to be playing must think they don't know they're only 2-2 right now.   Make no mistake, the Mean Green will play like their scrotums are on fire.

And they'd better remember 2018 ODU.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Umm, wouldn't that involve running away from the field for the nearest (hopefully not waterless) urinal?

I just felt there would be a little more urgency than the old “hair on fire” if their scros were burning.

Gotta bring the juice!  Be the most excited team to play in all 3 phases, men!

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Seth should tell King NT has an opening next year! If Fine can somehow make it to the NFL.....

I hope not.  We need leaders who display character and toughness.  Not quitters.  What a sorry example of a team leader.

Holgerson needs his head examined if he told King “Sure, take a year off and come back whenever your ready”.  Eff that!

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

The Cougars have gotten off to a slower start than anticipated and this season is becoming a building year for a new coach. Underclassmen will need to get playing time for this to work.

The redshirted player(s) may or may not return for next season, but they need to, at least verbally, remain committed to UH and on scholarship until they get their diplomas in May. They will be free to transfer anywhere they'd like once they graduate.

I am not saying I like what they are doing as I believe it sets a bad precedent for schools to be able to recruit star players from other schools. I am curious as to whether any coaches from other colleges have already contacted any of these players or their families before they've entered their names in the transfer portal. That would be a serious NCAA rules violation.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I wonder how many other players are feeling like jumping ship. 

They have to make their decision before our game.  Doesn't give them much time to make up their minds, i.e. could make an emotional decision to RS this year before fully thinking it through.  Of course it works the other way in that it may be too quick of a decision to make so they do nothing. 

In other words, I have no idea.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1