GREEN BRIGADE 9-21-19

SilverEagle

1 minute ago, Green Crazy said:

Jazz at a college halftime is a poor choice in my opinion, regardless of our school's tradition.  My 12 year old daughter was less than impressed with the music selection and border line pissed with the absence of the dancers. 

We were impressed with the pregame though.

faf15e8867978bbb779ac906ebd87e92.jpg

If you have a chance show your daughter the Stanford band...talk about unconventional...

GMG 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don’t understand why the Green Brigade can’t do anything but play Wully Bully & other stupid stereotypical songs, in full dress, for ignorant fans.

Proud of our school’s Jazz heritage & proud of the Green Brigade!!

“Ignorant fans”? Huh?

• Thanks 2
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, Green Crazy said:

If you can't appreciate jazz you're ignorant. We all know college football stands are full of jazz enthusiasts. 😉

Hmmmm....I see. Guess I am “ignorant” as Jazz...other than Dixieland...is simply not my thing. Oh, well....🤷‍♂️

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

If you can't appreciate jazz you're ignorant. We all know college football stands are full of jazz enthusiasts. 😉

If you can’t appreciate THE program that puts UNT’s outstanding School of Music over the top, and allow the Green Brigade to proudly play said music without complaining, you’re ignorant. 😉

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 5

Ooooohhhh, buddy. A thread built for me. Let's piss some folks off.

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

How many stayed for the halftime show? The tribute to UNT Jazz was absolutely brilliant!

It may be rooted in jazz, but make no mistake this was some straight up marching arrangements. It's not like there's changes or anything being blowed over, its still marching music. Which is apropos, by the way.

13 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

Hmmmm....I see. Guess I am “ignorant” as Jazz...other than Dixieland...is simply not my thing. Oh, well....🤷‍♂️

If any jazz musician heard you calling New Orleans trad Dixieland jazz, they would absolutely think you're ignorant.

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If you can’t appreciate THE program that puts UNT’s outstanding School of Music over the top, and allow the Green Brigade to proudly play said music without complaining, you’re ignorant. 😉

College of Music

angry pokemon GIF

Yay, now everyone's mad. 😉

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

This year version of the Green Brigade is substantially  better. 

The half time performance was excellent and you should be aware of that no matter what you think of "jazz".  

56 minutes ago, Green Crazy said:

Jazz at a college halftime is a poor choice in my opinion, regardless of our school's tradition.  My 12 year old daughter was less than impressed with the music selection and border line pissed with the absence of the dancers. 

We were impressed with the pregame though.

faf15e8867978bbb779ac906ebd87e92.jpg

What is marching music?  Those arrangements were anything other than the usual mundane performances that you get at most football games. 

I doubt they had twelve year olds as a target audience for this performance.   Don't fret though as you should be able to take her to just about any other game and see her preference in entertainment. 

Edited by GrandGreen

Just now, GrandGreen said:

This year version of the Green Brigade is substantially  better. 

The half time performance was excellent and you should be aware of that no matter what you think of "jazz".  

What is marching music?  Those arrangements were anything other than the usual mundane performances that you get at most football games. 

I doubt they had twelve year olds as a target audience for this performance.   Don't fret though as you should be able to take her to just about any other game and see 

Without a doubt this band is more entertaining than the previous one. that is obvious. But target audience's are exactly what I'm talking about. Jazz misses the mark with any football crowd, even most of ours.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Without a doubt this band is more entertaining than the previous one. that is obvious. But target audience's are exactly what I'm talking about. Jazz misses the mark with any football crowd, even most of ours.

Actually, the crowd seemed to be very enthusiastic about the performance were I was.

Unfortunately, the student side of the stadium misses out on half time performances because they alway seem to be facing the opposite direction. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Actually, the crowd seemed to be very enthusiastic about the performance were I was.

Unfortunately, the student side of the stadium misses out on half time performances because they alway seem to be facing the opposite direction. 

If you were sitting next to my daughter and I you would of thought the same, but we're just being polite. 🙂

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

If any jazz musician heard you calling New Orleans trad Dixieland jazz, they would absolutely think you're ignorant.

College of Music

Yay, now everyone's mad. 😉

Naw....may be an “age thing”. Everyone my age knows exactly what I mean when I say Dixieland Jazz. So, I’m good. If that makes me “ignorant”, I am perfectly happy to wear that badge.  Used to go to a place on Mockingbird in Dallas that advertised “Dixieland Jazz”. So, I had a lot of “ignorant company” who were having as much fun as me. But, hey, 😉

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1

7 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

How many stayed for the halftime show? The tribute to UNT Jazz was absolutely brilliant! Especially the "scat" performance by one the keyboardist. As I told "Fessor Cook" in my e-mail, Ella Fitzgerald would have been very proud of the young lady. If anyone comes across a youtube of the overall performance, they should post it. 

BTW I didn't miss the dancers as part of the performance.

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1

6 hours ago, Green Crazy said:

If you were sitting next to my daughter and I you would of thought the same, but we're just being polite. 🙂

I have no idea what you are saying. Polite about what?

I also just noticed the only one posting negatively about the performance is you.

I get it, you don't like jazz.  

I appreciate seeing and hearing something different from the norm. 

I also guess this is your first game, because they have played basically the same set with one exception at all their half times this year.   

The Band is obviously doing something right, I don't recall this much discussion about them anytime else on this forum.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

30 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I have no idea what you are saying. Polite about what?

I also just noticed the only one posting negatively about the performance is you.

I get it, you don't like jazz.  

I appreciate seeing and hearing something different from the norm. 

I also guess this is your first game, because they have played basically the same set with one exception at all their half times this year.   

The Band is obviously doing something right, I don't recall this much discussion about them anytime else on this forum.  

We applauded because we were being polite. To you that might have seemed "very enthusiastic".  

Not my first game, I've witnessed it the other times too. Just thought it would be done by now.

I'm not shitting on the band either, it's done well like all of the music played by them, but it's not something most like to see/listen to in general, let alone a football halftime.