Football Attendance - Perspective

ipd054

This photo is in the late 1st quarter. 

• Cal just came off a huge win beating a top 25 team and was undefeated.
  • Cal has 5 National Championships (all between 1920-1937) 
  • Call has 14 Conference Championships (2006 was the latest)
  • Cal is 11-11-1 in there 23 bowl games
  • Cal currently has 30 active NFL players (Aaron Rogers, Jared Goff, DeSean Jackson to name a few)
  • Reported attendance 36,268 (stadium hold 63,000 and was not half full) I would say actual buts in seats was closer to 28,000.

Just wanted those who did not go and did not get a good view to have a good look to compare vs Apogee.

cal football.jpg

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, ipd054 said:

This photo is in the late 1st quarter. 

• Cal just came off a huge win beating a top 25 team and was undefeated.
  • Cal has 5 National Championships (all between 1920-1937) 
  • Call has 14 Conference Championships (2006 was the latest)
  • Cal is 11-11-1 in there 23 bowl games
  • Cal currently has 30 active NFL players (Aaron Rogers, Jared Goff, DeSean Jackson to name a few)
  • Reported attendance 36,268 (stadium hold 63,000 and was not half full) I would say actual buts in seats was closer to 28,000.

Just wanted those who did not go and did not get a good view to have a good look to compare vs Apogee.

cal football.jpg

And yet they’re in a power conference and get like 4-5x the revenue that we do. Attendance only matters if you haven’t arrived to the highest  level. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, meanrob said:

UCLA drew 36K for OU. 

Don't want to sound like Chicken Little but I think in the very near future football is going to have an attendance problem. 

Outside of places like Alabama, Ohio State, etc., you may well be right.  It's going on in the NFL too, perhaps to an even greater degree.  As long as the television dollars keep rolling in, no one seems too worried.

8 minutes ago, meanrob said:

UCLA drew 36K for OU. 

Don't want to sound like Chicken Little but I think in the very near future football is going to have an attendance problem. 

Already is happening. Why pay x amount when I can save money and watch on tv?

Football is the perfect TV sport and now that college football is so spread-centric, games last 4 hours. That’s not counting traffic, tailgating, and paying for food and drinks at the game. 

When teams play other teams that nobody cares about, the lack of attendance really shows up even more. Ask our P5 buddies how much they hate being gouged for bought opponents from the FCS and the G5’s and you’ll see very quickly how much this disdain is now keeping many season ticket holders at home for games they don’t want to watch in person.

• Upvote 2

I’m just less interested in football especially the pros. I still like college football but as it becomes more commercialized like the mini pros I get less interested and willing to pay to go see it. Not my Mean Green of course but on the random bye weekend, nahh. I also feel the far flung conferences feed the apathy too.

gmg

• Upvote 3

I love college football, our attendance is way up, winning cures everything in a program. If littrell  leaves the AD should already know who he can recruit in (we have the money to buy a very good coach) and never miss a beat if not improve; just make sure he can recruit. UNT is not your daddy's team or school anymore, we have facilities, and mega student body, and a growing fan base, great economic area with more jobs than people... College and NFL is not a sport anymore, it's entertainment...

• Upvote 2