UTSA apologizes over Army game antics

Coach Andy Mac

Default Now Officially Embarrassed To Be A Roadrunner

Football losses aside, this needs to be addressed, and a formal apology needs to be made. I wouldn't be surprised if Army decides they'd rather cancel their remaining games with us after this debacle. My family and I left after the final whistle, so I'm glad we didn't witness what was described below, but this is clearly a sign of very bad leadership from the top down, and is inexcusable from a school priding itself on being in "Military City, USA"...

"Shame on the UTSA Football Team and the Classless Band for their Post Losing Game Conduct.

The Army Team, the Coaching Staff, the Cheerleaders, many fans and the Superintendent of the United States Military Academy at West Point ran over to be behind the
UTSA Team in a respectful and dignified manner to honor the School and its Alma Mater! It?s the way these young Soldiers Roll, and will someday have the same respect for others on some battlefield after Graduation.

And when the UTSA Alma Mater was completed, the Army Team, the Staff and the Corps present hustled over to the Army Seating Area and as we have done for as long as Army has played Football, sang our Alma Mater.

And the UTSA Team? They walked off the Field to the Locker Room ignoring the fact that Army had just paid Honor to their School. I can only surmise that they were sore losers. And to compound such rude behavior, the UTSA Band played thru the entire singing of the West Point Alma Mater.

The Alma Mater matters to us, and it is sung also at the Burial Ceremonies of our many Graduates who were KIA?s in fighting America?s Wars."
read more:  http://www.rowdytalk.com/showthread.php/10735-Now-Officially-Embarrassed-To-Be-A-Roadrunner
Edited by Coach Andy Mac
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 4

After years of being Unofficially Embarrassed To Be A Roadrunner, Volkmar is Now Officially Embarrassed To Be A Roadrunner!

Or is this is Volkmar just trying to get attention throwing a "I'm taking my ball and going home" tantrum.

My guess is that he'll be back on the UTSA message board this week and will be attending every game.

Always remember UTSA's mantra..."Where there's smoke.....there could be a poooft cannon."

UTSA%20rowdy%20cannon_1539626770051.png_

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 3

The UTSA President, the AD, the head coach and the band director have all responded to this unfortunate event.

This was an accident and we own it.

This was not done out of malice, anger or resentment. 

The UTSA Band Director, Ron Ellis responds:

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Okay, this part I see as rude, perhaps borderline classless:

the UTSA Band played thru the entire singing of the West Point Alma Mater.

The rest of it I see as no big deal at all.  Army has their admirable traditions and not everyone is aware of what they are or how best to respond to them.

• Upvote 6

1 hour ago, Ck3 said:

UTSA folks aren't exactly the most educated bunch.

Well, Cougar fan, if any of us were really that intelligent would we be spending so much time trolling other schools college message boards?

And the joke here, as I'm sure it couldn't have gone over your uber-intelligent, supremely educated head, is that the UTSA fans are debating this issue because the majority of them are extremely patriotic and felt their school's actions to be disrespectful when hosting the United States Military Academy. Being in a military town, a very high percentage of the UTSA fans have either served in the military or have close relatives that have served, with some having made the ultimate sacrifice.

We banter with them as fans of the opponent, all in jest, but we greatly respect them and appreciate their commitment to serve our country.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

Not sure I buy this.  Frank Wilson has coached college ball for how long?  I, as a fan, know that this is an Army tradition, so I would think a man working in that industry would know as well.  Frank gets a little sour after his teams loses.  Just pull up the interview with him after "The Drive."

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m still sour on Army’s football team. A certain db on their team left a bad taste in my mouth 2 years in a row. That db could mean defensive back or wherever else you’d like to go with it because that dude fit in just about all of this categories.

They still headhunt and play dirty. It's apparently a part of their philosophy that doesn't change, no matter who's there. Not a fan of Army. I've never seen a team so regularly lead with the helmet when tackling.