DRC Sunday column: UTSA game bigger than ever now for UNT

Brett Vito

Ah yes, UTSA...the only team to ever make us their mortal enemy. This is their Super Bowl, so it’ll be closer than it should, as it almost always has been since they moved up to CUSA with us. But their coach is a freaking idiot when it comes to x’s and o’s, so we will win still by a couple of TDs. We will pull away late, but our defense will keep them in this game for three quarters, Im afraid. But I still see us winning 38-24...

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Ah yes, UTSA...the only team to ever make us their mortal enemy. This is their Super Bowl, so it’ll be closer than it should, as it almost always has been since they moved up to CUSA with us. But their coach is a freaking idiot when it comes to x’s and o’s, so we will win still by a couple of TDs. We will pull away late, but our defense will keep them in this game for three quarters, Im afraid. But I still see us winning 38-24...

I actually disagree... and this is more of a gut-feeling than anything I can back up... but I think NT comes out with focus & urgency and frustration over what happened the past 2 weeks. 
The crowd sees/feels it and jumps in as well.  UTSA gets steamrolled early.  But they wont give up, because it's North Texas.   I see this game looking eerily like NT/SMU, except in reverse where NT jumps out to a big lead quick and then there's somewhat of a good game afterwards.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I say that every year, and usually that never happens. 

• Upvote 1

Time for us to curb stomp these kids... We need to win this one and win BIG.

The more time that passes from Cal, the more encouraged I am that we are starting to figure out who we are.  lets get to 1-0 in CUSA play.

Also... time to put to bed that they are our rival.  I win this week will start to put us ahead in the series...

http://www.winsipedia.com/north-texas/vs/utsa

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

16 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

Time for us to curb stomp these kids... We need to win this one and win BIG.

The more time that passes from Cal, the more encouraged I am that we are starting to figure out who we are.  lets get to 1-0 in CUSA play.

Also... time to put to bed that they are our rival.  I win this week will start to put us ahead in the series...

http://www.winsipedia.com/north-texas/vs/utsa

I like you want to crush them.  But they are our rival whether we like it or now.  We play for bragging rights in the state, for recruiting and of course our record in C-USA West.  I witnessed them damn bear beat us in the Alamodome last year.  They recruit well under Wilson and have good talent.  This is going to be a super tough game.

32 minutes ago, Harry said:

I like you want to crush them.  But they are our rival whether we like it or now.  We play for bragging rights in the state, for recruiting and of course our record in C-USA West.  I witnessed them damn bear beat us in the Alamodome last year.  They recruit well under Wilson and have good talent.  This is going to be a super tough game.

Nope.

we lay plenty of in-state foes regularly. They are zero threat to top us in the West rankings. We compete with tons of teams for Texas recruits.  I’m skeptical that somehow UTSA is in the hunt for our targets more than any Texas peer.

they do give us fits though. So they have that.

want a “like it or not” post? Let’s have a discussion about us being the new sexy media darlings. With zero titles under Seth, but tons of media love, we appear to be the new MTSU. 😉

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Finally a rivalry where the all-time series is relevant, played by two schools at the same level, and not dominated by one side during the Hoover and Roosevelt administrations.

Believe it or not, UTSA was once up three games to one over North Texas before order was restored to the universe. Now the series, tied at three all, should get forever tilted in favor of the Green.

They say playing football at UTSA is a lot like playing video games at Pinstack ... You'll get to play indoors and you'll always get to watch other people go bowling.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1