Cal ranked #23 in AP

Felozano

22 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Why?  Their defense is solid, not great.  Their offense is awful.   They won't last long in the top 25. 

Maybe not, but how many top 25's does NT have on their schedule

It is amazing to me how many NT fans rather than thinking NT played a very good team tough; believe the opponent was just not very good.

• Upvote 7
  • Eye Roll 2

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

Maybe not, but how many top 25's does NT have on their schedule

It is amazing to me how many NT fans rather than thinking NT played a very good team tough; believe the opponent was just not very good.

Outside of because they aren't very good, I don't know what to tell ya. 

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 5
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Outside of because they aren't very good, I don't know what to tell ya. 

This gets lost in translation, but if you're a P5, its really not that hard to get into the top 25. Maryland beat ranked Syracuse, made it to 23, and then got beat by Temple. This early in the season its all over the place.

If you're in the G5, you have to play lights out for 75 percent of the season to get close to cracking the list. 

• Upvote 3

45 minutes ago, UNT78 said:

Defense wins championships, Cal has a great defense, they’re are good!  Fine played great; if the receivers had done their job we would have won this game, no doubt! Defense line for UNT played great, corners still suck though, we must improve that now!

I agree with some of this but,...if there’s one thing I feel we can take away from this game is that some new players gained the confidence they looked like they were lacking the week before.  

We had several new players getting their first extended time.  Woolworth was playing in his first game of the year.  And let’s not forget we had 5 new assistants in their first road game with this team.

Lots of positives to lean on.

Rick

• Upvote 1

https://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2019/9/14/20866504/the-wrap-cal-fades-in-a-23-17-victory-over-north-texas

I find it interesting that most UNT fans are coming away from this game feeling better after our play, and a lot of Cal fans fear the worst.

All in all, a win is a win, but the Bears seem to have more questions than answers. For a team that is 3-0? That does not bode well going into the gauntlet section of the season.

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

I agree with some of this but,...if there’s one thing I feel we can take away from this game is that some new players gained the confidence they looked like they were lacking the week before.  

We had several new players getting their first extended time.  Woolworth was playing in his first game of the year.  And let’s not forget we had 5 new assistants in their first road game with this team.

Lots of positives to lean on.

Rick

Thought the same thing when Bussey went out.  Hair Griffin and Shorter were forced into more prominent roles.  Those two have tons of potential.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Philip Ferguson said:

https://www.californiagoldenblogs.com/2019/9/14/20866504/the-wrap-cal-fades-in-a-23-17-victory-over-north-texas

I find it interesting that most UNT fans are coming away from this game feeling better after our play, and a lot of Cal fans fear the worst.

All in all, a win is a win, but the Bears seem to have more questions than answers. For a team that is 3-0? That does not bode well going into the gauntlet section of the season.

That’s because anyone who was at the game knows North Texas should have won.

Rick

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Teams that play like UNT did during the first quarter of the last two games aren't going to win football games unless the opposing team is sleepwalking.  I really don't think we "should" have won.

UTSA will play like it's their Super KFC Bowl next weekend, if we go out half cocked during Q1 for a third week in a row, they will absolutely be ready to embarrass us.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

11 minutes ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Teams that play like UNT did during the first quarter of the last two games aren't going to win football games unless the opposing team is sleepwalking.  I really don't think we "should" have won.

UTSA will play like it's their Super KFC Bowl next weekend, if we go out half cocked during Q1 for a third week in a row, they will absolutely be ready to embarrass us.

That first quarter is weird. Last year under GH, we were great. However, yesterday’s game we ran out of time in the 2nd half. Is Reeder trying to figure it all out?  I don’t know, man.  Run Siggers, then throw. Let’s do this!  GMG!

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT78 said:

Defense wins championships, Cal has a great defense, they’re are good!  Fine played great; if the receivers had done their job we would have won this game, no doubt! Defense line for UNT played great, corners still suck though, we must improve that now!

I gave you an upvote, but I'm also going to disagree with one point you made.  I didn't think Fine played great.  I thought he had a very average game, especially by his standards.  Lost fumble, interception on a very ill-advised pass, and three times I can think of off the top of my head that, if he puts the ball on the money, they would have been caught.  Granted, a couple of the ones I'm talking about probably should have been caught anyway, but they weren't great throws.

I agree that the defense was solid.  Considering the field position in which Cal started several drives, I thought the defense was really good for the most part.  Also agree that the corners need to play better.

Additionally, I thought the running game was good.   We should be able to run it down the throats of C-USA teams if we can run it like yesterday.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

This is correct... I honestly don't recognize the QB we have started in the majority of the games this year.  Trepidatious is the first word that comes to mind. Not sure who's to blame, but it needs to go back to last two seasons Mason Fine.

I agree, and I think it probably has to do with Reeder's offense/coaching.   Maybe he's wanting Fine to go through more progressions or something, but Fine is really holding the ball longer than he ever has outside of his first few games as a Freshman.

Maybe he's still just getting used to the new wrinkles in the offense... it would be fantastic if he could get comfortable this weekend and be ready for Houston.    **I just realized by typing the previous statement that UTSA now qualifies as a TRAP GAME**   NT needs to be ready because if we've learned anything about UTSA over their very brief existence, it's that they play like an actual C-USA contender whenever they play against NT.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

As opposed to watching on TV?  Sounds pompous.

I disagree though.   The first 1/3 of the game looked like UNT/SMU 2018.  We could barely even get a 1st down!   
I was about to turn the game off if they punted without getting a 1st down again around mid 2nd quarter.   They went on to finally score a FG, so I kept the game on, and I'm glad I did.  I'm proud of the effort to get back into it, but at no point did I think "We should have won."  ... "We could have won" absolutely crossed my mind, but not should.