After 3 games not a hot take

MeanGreenHoops

35 minutes ago, Felozano said:

I thought our young LB’s grew up a lot yesterday, too.m.  Missed some tackles, but also made some big plays.  

The Davis boys are really stepping into a LB role. Of course not as good as BG and Ejiya, but better than I expected

• Upvote 2

Just now, Felozano said:

Definitely. They had a big back, but there were a few missed tackles of the QB. The LB’s are trending up, but they still have room for improvement. 

Tackling (in my opinion) was far better this week mainly up front. Seemed that Buchele couldn't be tackled well

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Tackling (in my opinion) was far better this week mainly up front. Seemed that Buchele couldn't be tackled well

Better but they need to continue to improve angles and staying on their feet. Seems like KD is improving the most. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

The D came alive in the 2nd half. I still feel this could be Seth’s best D line. Shorter with reps will be a beast!

Agree but something is still amiss with the secondary.

It has to be an alignment/responsibility mix up which is correctable..  No one is that bad to just simply IGNORE a guy running past you and allow him to convert a THIRD AND 24.

Overall...UTSA are the ones that need to be the most concerned right now because the Mean Green appeared to have turned a bit of a corner in that second half.  

If we feed the beast that is Siggers & Torrey early we will destroy them..

Rick

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Big IF, after what we have seen 

Unfortunately... I think it is still hard to tell who we are yet on offense.

ACU was an FCS game... SMU and Cal have been hard to gauge bc of how we started both games.

Again... I think this week is another chance to figure out who we are. UTSA wont rollover for us.  We will need to play hard. If we can pound the ball early and late... we should be able to open up the passing game pretty easily against them.

Lets go 1-0 this week!

GMG

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Sure,...but it’s something we control.  I guess I’m hoping, because Siggers is special.  I mean, he’s a bigger version of Patrick Cobbs special.  

Rick

Starting to get on board with this.  I'll wait on the Pat comparison for him since we've only seen him in 2 games (one of which, the game was pretty much out of hand and SMU was playing prevent-style defense), but so far, he has shown some serious vision and incredible balance/strength in going through the line & would-be tacklers.   Really looking forward to seeing more of him this year!

7 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

Sure,...but it’s something we control.  I guess I’m hoping, because Siggers is special.  I mean, he’s a bigger version of Patrick Cobbs special.  

Rick

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Starting to get on board with this.  I'll wait on the Pat comparison for him since we've only seen him in 2 games (one of which, the game was pretty much out of hand and SMU was playing prevent-style defense), but so far, he has shown some serious vision and incredible balance/strength in going through the line & would-be tacklers.   Really looking forward to seeing more of him this year!

Really makes you think WTF was Seth thinking by moving him to Safety

I get we have RB depth, but he easily has the potential to better than all the others currently on the roster

• Thanks 1

All I can say is that the defense against Cal gave me some hope.  Nothing is more demoralizing for a fan than watching your defense not being able to stop anyone. I have been worried it was going to be that kind of season.  The jury is still out.  

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Really makes you think WTF was Seth thinking by moving him to Safety

I get we have RB depth, but he easily has the potential to better than all the others currently on the roster

I believe he played both sides of the ball very effectively while at Duncanville.  Didn't he crack the 2-deep at Safety as a Freshman last year? 

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Agree but something is still amiss with the secondary.

Thinking about our first three games, here's my HSOs:

• We do not seem to be game planning well before games in the secondary. It's being put together with adjustments through the second-fourth quarters, but it's hard for the rest of your total game plan to get off the ground when you dig yourself in a hole defensively in the first...
  • ...and then dig deeper with penalties. We're currently ranked 120th in penalties with an average of 80 yards per game. I may have some green glasses effect going on, and still believe half of those flags were bogus – my feelings further justified when I see how loud and livid Seth is with refs on the sidelines. Honestly, its relatively amazing how we well we have done nearly in spite of ourselves with those penalties in play.
  • Fine and Bodie Reeder do not seem to be meshing well. Of course publicly they're very complimentary of each other, but on the field it does not seem to be lining up. There are the briefest of spurts where it seems like we're establishing a rhythm, only to be undone with three other series upended by terrible (re: horizontal) short-yardage play. Reeder needs to figure out real quick what elements of Harrell's offense did click with our personnel and incorporate that into his scheme. Marie Kondo it; "does this play spark joy?",  and then lose anything else.
  • Biagiiiiiiiii, what is even happening with this foolhardy heroism on returns?? The football IQ needs to jump up in a big way on special teams lest we give ourselves no room to work with for the rest of the season.
  • Upvote 2

Sometimes, you just get off to a poor start. The biggest thing to see is how you finish--against SMU, it looked as if the team just freaked out at getting plastered by our fanbase's mortal enemy in Dallas and never could re-focus. Against Cal, that second half of play looked a lot more like what we have expected out of this team this season. I think that bodes well for the rest of the season. Other than UH here, and at La Tech, we won't play another team with the combo of talent in personnel and coaching that SMU and Cal presented. I don't expect to win those two games but the rest of the schedule is MUCH easier.  We ought to crush the 4 CUSA spares by at least 2 TDs (UTSA, Charlotte, Rice, and UTEP) and then win at least two games out the three against Southern Miss, UAB, and MUTS. That gets you to a 7-8 win total, with a CUSA record of 6-2 or 7-1. I think that is very reasonable for our fans to expect this season. A 7-1 record might just get the CUSA West Title if things go right for us. No matter what, though, if we get to 7 or 8 wins, SL is gonna be riding off into the sunset here. He knows that Fine has been the workhorse to ride off to greener pastures. I'd expect an Ole Miss, Arkansas, Tennessee, or someone else like that to come calling at the end of our regular season.

2 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Thinking about our first three games, here's my HSOs:

• We do not seem to be game planning well before games in the secondary. It's being put together with adjustments through the second-fourth quarters, but it's hard for the rest of your total game plan to get off the ground when you dig yourself in a hole defensively in the first...
  • ...and then dig deeper with penalties. We're currently ranked 120th in penalties with an average of 80 yards per game. I may have some green glasses effect going on, and still believe half of those flags were bogus – my feelings further justified when I see how loud and livid Seth is with refs on the sidelines. Honestly, its relatively amazing how we well we have done nearly in spite of ourselves with those penalties in play.
  • Fine and Bodie Reeder do not seem to be meshing well. Of course publicly they're very complimentary of each other, but on the field it does not seem to be lining up. There are the briefest of spurts where it seems like we're establishing a rhythm, only to be undone with three other series upended by terrible (re: horizontal) short-yardage play. Reeder needs to figure out real quick what elements of Harrell's offense did click with our personnel and incorporate that into his scheme. Marie Kondo it; "does this play spark joy?",  and then lose anything else.
  • Biagiiiiiiiii, what is even happening with this foolhardy heroism on returns?? The football IQ needs to jump up in a big way on special teams lest we give ourselves no room to work with for the rest of the season.

Spot on.

Rick

3 hours ago, Christopher Walker said:

Fine and Bodie Reeder do not seem to be meshing well. Of course publicly they're very complimentary of each other, but on the field it does not seem to be lining up. There are the briefest of spurts where it seems like we're establishing a rhythm, only to be undone with three other series upended by terrible (re: horizontal) short-yardage play. Reeder needs to figure out real quick what elements of Harrell's offense did click with our personnel and incorporate that into his scheme. Marie Kondo it; "does this play spark joy?",  and then lose anything else.

This has to happen immediately. We no longer have any room for error. The defense needs this offense to be all it can be.