Scattershot Thoughts

CMJ

Cal fans tend to be very mellow as we are used to having up and down swings in the football program and the only steady presence is the Cal Marching Band who work hard whether the team is awful or great.   We saw several of your fans at the Courtyard in Emeryville and wished them well as they were leaving for home early this morning.

My wife and I may well come down when Cal plays you at home in a couple of years as we have good friends who lived in Dallas and are now in Harrison, Arkansas and may plan out some kind of vacation that includes the game and a visit to their town.   Any tips on Harrison, Ark. and the area?

I am sure there are no ANTIFA down there as I am sure you also saw none in Berkeley. We may be liberal for the most part, but we usually don’t force it upon anyone in Northern California.   Last year the Ole Miss folks started leaving the game in the 3rd quarter and someone said that it was because they were afraid of being accosted in the streets if they had stayed until the end of the game.   The only people who would accost them would be the hot dog vendors (great dogs by the way) who work the street right outside of the stadium.

Good luck to you guys the rest of the season!

Hope to see you all in 2022 or whatever year we are scheduled to play again!

• Upvote 6

On 9/15/2019 at 11:00 AM, Calfan said:

Thanks for the kind words. As a cal fan, we get this a lot. 

We get first time visitors and before coming, they aren’t quite sure what to expect. And then they realize that Californians are just like everyone else. We aren’t some crazy liberals  

my favorite trip I’ve ever taken was actually to go watch cal play Tennessee. Wow those guys are hospitable. And I’m sure if I come out to the UNT game, I’ll get the same type of treatment. 

Its funny. While our politicians are trying to tear us apart, it’s football that can help bring us back together. 

I actually live in Los Angeles.  I grew up in Denton but moved to chase being a screenwriter after graduation in 2001.  It's very rare we play away to games I can travel to.  Our basketball team has played in California a few times since I moved here, but this was the closest our football team has come since Arizona in 2002.

I tend to  make it back to Denton to see us play about once every year or two while I'm seeing family and the like.  

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, elbearo2 said:

Any tips on Harrison, Ark. and the area?

I used to live about 2 hours east of there, which in that part of the world is pretty close.  Not sure what you're looking for, but Harrison is close to Branson, and Eureka Springs isn't far.  White River is renowned for its trout fishing, Buffalo River for its canoeing.  Bull Shoals is a good fishing lake.

• Upvote 2

17 hours ago, Calfan said:

We aren’t some crazy liberals.

my favorite trip I’ve ever taken was actually to go watch cal play Tennessee. Wow those guys are hospitable. And I’m sure if I come out to the UNT game, I’ll get the same type of treatment. 

Agree.  It was quite the opposite per my experience while there.  Truly shocking.

And as for road trips,..you won’t have a better opportunity to experience the greatest of college football than this week in Oxford MS.

Football in the south is king.

Rick

• Upvote 2

I'll scattershoot a bit also:

Cal fans were appreciative of our fans coming out to Cali. Many expressed dismay we would come all the way from Flyover to see this game. It was a nice opportunity to talk to them about what we do at NT, and about Texas. I was surprised, as was referenced above, that a number of fans were fully aware of the sad demise of the great city of San Francisco. And they aren't happy about it, no matter the political side they are on. I met more conservatives than I expected. One nice lab rat guy gave Dr. Houdek, Judge Holland, my family and others a quick tour of the things he liked about his campus: a fountain dedicated to a homeless dog that used to come around campus at certain times of day knowing he would be well fed; the free speech monument he showed us. Apparently, it and the space above it are considered sovereign. A circle of refuge. He told my wife that he is a conservative and it was great to chat with others without concern of pissing off anyone for no good reason. He told us if he ever gets chased by cops, he is going to stand in the circle. But he is a Conservative, so there really won't be much reason to be chased by cops.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/free-speech-monument

I took my wife to Sonoma and Napa, and my wife and son to Yosemite during the week. I then hated the first quarter, loved most of the rest of the game, informed Mason Fine's sister (?), girlfriend (?), aunt (?) of the TD that broke the NT record for touchdown passes, toasted my Laphroaig to the team to start and end the game (and a bit in between), sat with Mean Green Matt by happenstance, with whom I sat by happenstance at the NM Bowl, kissed my bride and hugged my son on a couple of sweet 2H touchdowns and enjoyed a beautiful day for football.

I enjoyed some decent BBQ near the SJC airport hotel for dinner and then flew home Sunday morning. Oh yeah....when I went to get my car from the hotel parking garage at 5:45 am Sunday morning, I found my rental car (and others) had been broken in to, rear window and front passenger window smashed, my son's dirty laundry scattered about but nothing else the bastard could steal. And he left the Be Calm and Go Mean Green shirt. Ah, the true California experience.

GMG

• Upvote 3