Win out.... Is this season still a disappointment?

p_phelps

Few thought NT would beat Cal at Cal.

I just don't get all this giving up on a season because of the first three games.

SMU was a disappointing loss but they were favored.  CA despite what some seem to think on here is a very good team.  

I am encouraged by what I saw today, despite another lousy first quarter.

I just wonder based on some comments, which CUSA teams that some fans seem to think are better than Cal.  I can't think of any.   

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

I figured we would win one maybe two of our OOC games this season. Then win all of our conference games.

i still stand by that prediction. 

The season is not lost. We have a ton of football to play!

i am more worried about the health of Rico and Mason going forward. I think both have injuries more serious than e know about. 

Bean, your next man up!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

I figured we would win one maybe two of our OOC games this season. Then win all of our conference games.

i still stand by that prediction. 

The season is not lost. We have a ton of football to play!

i am more worried about the health of Rico and Mason going forward. I think both have injuries more serious than e know about. 

Bean, your next man up!

You and me both.   I had them at 1-3 after the first 4 OOC games (2-3 with a win against UTSA).   New offensive coordinator may take some time to adjust to.

I had them down for 1 conference loss, a CUSA championship win and a bowl win.   So. they are right on schedule regarding my predictions.

My concern now is Rico Bussey.  He is a big part of our success.

• Upvote 3

I haven't had enough Green Koolaid yet to be dreaming of winning out...

Can a average, perhaps below average, team win its division then conference game and roll into a bowl and win that too? 

Perhaps in CUSA they can, but from the performance this team has exhibited so far.....it ain't looking good. I know they will get better every game but so does the competition. 

I won't get fooled again by all the hype generated by this staff. I'll go to the home games and even plan on a couple away games but this is at best a AVERAGE team with one or two standout players............

I hope by Dec 1st I'm proven wrong...

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

21 hours ago, p_phelps said:

This is THE team to take us over the top.

The more I think about it, the more I think that this was an illusion.

We have incredible players that have laid the foundation for bowl games and 8+ win seasons.  The players that are going to take us to the “next level” started committing in 2018.  I have to believe that we will start seeing their contributions within the next two seasons.

We have a small pocket of posters here that are not listening when @BillySee58 speaks up about recruiting.  I have not heard one of them speak any logical counter point to what he has said.  We are a team of very average CUSA players that have been coached up and are currently being pushed over the top by one superstar QB.

Win out and our season is wonderful.  Our program - our fan base - needs a conference title and a championship game at Apogee.

The thought of SMU being T25 crossed my mind yesterday.  What if they go all UAB on the CFB world?

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

Look, you command the money Seth is getting and your expectation to deliver results intensifies. It’s the way of the world In College football. 

I was in Boca when Fau hoisted the trophy and champions signs. I wish that for the Mean Green but they seem really far away from that now. 

Cant blame posters for expecting more than a blowout loss to smu and cal win. Won’t give up on the season. When we welcome UTEP in 5 weeks we are either on our way to bowling or living through one of the most disappointing seasons in Mean Green history. I’ll be there either way.

Thank goodness for Facebook live overseas.

Now go live up to expectations. There are no do overs. Crush roadkill. 

GMG

Edited by NM Green
  • Upvote 4

Just now, Harry said:

SMU

eh...

I'm as pissed as anyone about not just the loss but how we lost.

But if we went 11-2 then I'll say the SMU game was a fluke (because it will be obvious that it was)

My problem with SMU is that I saw it as a 50/50 game and at this point...it can show "we are what we are" If we win out.....then it would not show "we are what we are"

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

On 9/14/2019 at 11:07 PM, Udomann said:

It's already a disappointment vs expectation. But there's a lot of fun to be had still before we fire a few guys. I'm enjoying the ride and the drinks. I'm here until the end of the line.

On 9/15/2019 at 5:21 PM, NM Green said:

Look, you command the money Seth is getting and your expectation to deliver results intensifies. It’s the way of the world In College football. 

I was in Boca when Fau hoisted the trophy and champions signs. I wish that for the Mean Green but they seem really far away from that now. 

Cant blame posters for expecting more than a blowout loss to smu and cal win. Won’t give up on the season. When we welcome UTEP in 5 weeks we are either on our way to bowling or living through one of the most disappointing seasons in Mean Green history. I’ll be there either way.

Thank goodness for Facebook live overseas.

Now go live up to expectations. There are no do overs. Crush roadkill. 

GMG

Exactly. There will be the "what could have been" thoughts because this year and last year were years that, THEORETICALLY, our team was good enough to be [darn near] undefeated and make a statement on a national stage. Losing to Cal, even close, makes Arkansas seem like a one-off.

I will be ECSTATIC for a 10-2 regular season. That said, Seth is the highest paid coach in our conference now, right? In his fourth year, I think it's fair for us, the fans, to expect at least one win out of UofH, Cal, and SMU and a conference championship.

• Upvote 2

On 9/14/2019 at 6:53 PM, p_phelps said:

I say YES! 

This is THE team to take us over the top. Even if we beat Houston in the win out (Seems HIGHLY doubtful after seeing cal QB run all over us) we still got the doors blown off by cross town rival "daddy's money's team" and lost to a P5 we honestly had no business losing too. ( This game was completely frustrating from the self inflicted wounds). In the long run we win out, win conference in what looks to be extremely weak. What does this accomplish in the grand scheme of UNT planning? We lose our best player since Joe Greene and the best expected offense in school history. Win out and we say can't brag about us like last year. All my buddies went or are fans of P5 schools ( drives me F'ING!! nuts they can be fans of a school they never even applied too and still talk shit to me). Last year I could say we took UA to the woodshed, still heard "oh they suck though" and blah blah blah. WHAT CAN I SAY THIS YEAR? IFFFFF we win out I saw we ran house on a week conference and beat one good team in UH? 

THE team that was to take us to the next level disappointed no matter what happens next. 

That's some good stuff your'e on pal. Since 1967, we've averaged 5 wins per season. So I guess dissapointment is subjective and you get to decide that, rationale people would have to look at anything 8-4 or better as a successful season. But fan is short for fanatical so I digress.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

That's some good stuff your'e on pal. Since 1967, we've averaged 5 wins per season. So I guess dissapointment is subjective and you get to decide that, rationale people would have to look at anything 8-4 or better as a successful season. But fan is short for fanatical so I digress.

The problem with this argument is that we've never had in our history (this history that for some reason applies to 2019) what we have now:

Facilities

AD leadership

support

donations

coaching salaries

Our history has NOTHING to do with what we have now because we've never had what we have. If we're going to use our past to justify our present then we have to compare apples to apples. 

So yes....given what we have TODAY...8-4 is a disappointment.

I DON'T GIVE A DAMN WHAT WE'VE AVERAGED SINCE 1967. IT DOES NOT APPLY TO WHAT I EXPECT OUT OF SETH LITTRELL. The highest paid coach in CUSA, top 10 in G5, who gets whatever he wants from the administration and has the most to work with of any coach in our history. Go win the damn conference: period. Especially THIS conference. The worst in FBS.

9 wins a season is a reasonable expectation for him. If it's not then quit paying him like it is.

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

On 9/15/2019 at 4:56 PM, greenminer said:

The more I think about it, the more I think that this was an illusion.

We have incredible players that have laid the foundation for bowl games and 8+ win seasons.  The players that are going to take us to the “next level” started committing in 2018.  I have to believe that we will start seeing their contributions within the next two seasons.

We have a small pocket of posters here that are not listening when @BillySee58 speaks up about recruiting.  I have not heard one of them speak any logical counter point to what he has said.  We are a team of very average CUSA players that have been coached up and are currently being pushed over the top by one superstar QB.

Win out and our season is wonderful.  Our program - our fan base - needs a conference title and a championship game at Apogee.

The thought of SMU being T25 crossed my mind yesterday.  What if they go all UAB on the CFB world?

I get what @BillySee58 is saying, but our offense returned everyone except Mayfield, Guyton, Murray and Harrell.  I thought Reeder would be an upgrade and unfortunately, I may be wrong.  The offense should be performing better than they have shown.  The defense was a concern having to replace Ejiya, Garner, Hall and Brooks and has struggled early but showed signs of life later in the games against smuT and Cal.

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I get what @BillySee58 is saying, but our offense returned everyone except Mayfield, Guyton, Murray and Harrell. 

I know technically we returned him, but don’t forget Woodworth. His loss, along with Murray and Mayfield (2 Mccarney signees and a grad transfer), has really exposed our inability to sign and develop quality high school offensive linemen. Which is something I’ve been saying still hasn’t improved much in quality despite our recent uptick in overall recruiting.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I thought Reeder would be an upgrade and unfortunately, I may be wrong.  The offense should be performing better than they have shown.

I think the Reeder hire on paper is an upgrade, but the change in scenery has made everyone wonky.  I understand that's about as BS a description as I can throw out there, but I can't really explain it.  It feels like they (the offense and Reeder) are out of sync, like they're still getting used to each other.  Fine looks off, but not because he's bad.

I have to think that if they do get used to each other, it will finally show and we will see the upgrade on the scoreboard.  I am cautiously optimistic that we will see it come together before the season is over.

• Upvote 1