Win out.... Is this season still a disappointment?

p_phelps

52 minutes ago, greenminer said:

I think the Reeder hire on paper is an upgrade, but the change in scenery has made everyone wonky.  I understand that's about as BS a description as I can throw out there, but I can't really explain it.  It feels like they (the offense and Reeder) are out of sync, like they're still getting used to each other.  Fine looks off, but not because he's bad.

I have to think that if they do get used to each other, it will finally show and we will see the upgrade on the scoreboard.  I am cautiously optimistic that we will see it come together before the season is over.

I guess I was a little unrealistic in my expectations for getting out of the gate this year. I had visions of Mason’s ability in that Eastern Washington offense. Then we come out in the first 2 plays of the season and do what we did. Maybe a little premature?

I was critical of GH’s play calling but Mason REALLY trusted him and I think he owes a lot of his development to him. 

Maybe the first few weeks they’re feeling each other out....

I would love to see them start clicking and Mason getting more comfortable. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I know technically we returned him, but don’t forget Woodworth. His loss, along with Murray and Mayfield (2 Mccarney signees and a grad transfer), has really exposed our inability to sign and develop quality high school offensive linemen. Which is something I’ve been saying still hasn’t improved much in quality despite our recent uptick in overall recruiting.

Finally got a hit with Erik Williams who, as of now, is our highest-rated recruit for 2020.

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Finally got a hit with Erik Williams who, as of now, is our highest-rated recruit for 2020.

I’m very excited about him, even though the offer list isn’t great. He is the first high school recruit Littrell has signed that actually has left tackle written all over him. Problem is he is going to at least need a redshirt year. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

The problem with this argument is that we've never had in our history (this history that for some reason applies to 2019) what we have now:

Facilities

AD leadership

support

donations

coaching salaries

Our history has NOTHING to do with what we have now because we've never had what we have. If we're going to use our past to justify our present then we have to compare apples to apples. 

So yes....given what we have TODAY...8-4 is a disappointment.

I DON'T GIVE A DAMN WHAT WE'VE AVERAGED SINCE 1967. IT DOES NOT APPLY TO WHAT I EXPECT OUT OF SETH LITTRELL. The highest paid coach in CUSA, top 10 in G5, who gets whatever he wants from the administration and has the most to work with of any coach in our history. Go win the damn conference: period. Especially THIS conference. The worst in FBS.

9 wins a season is a reasonable expectation for him. If it's not then quit paying him like it is.

I agree with much of what you said. This job is better that at any point in its history for a variety of reasons. But 8-4 is going to be better than 2/3s of FBS on any given year. Outside of 10, maybe 20 programs, 8-4 should be considered a good season for everyone else. I get some disagree but the numbers prove it out. It's like Houston saying they fire coaches who win 8 games. Well maybe they do, but you know how many times over the last 25 years they've won more than 8? 5 times. I think our we are building a program on Houston's level but we aren't there yet. 

19 hours ago, meangreenJW said:

That's some good stuff your'e on pal. Since 1967, we've averaged 5 wins per season. So I guess dissapointment is subjective and you get to decide that, rationale people would have to look at anything 8-4 or better as a successful season. But fan is short for fanatical so I digress.

The fact that this was the year of so much hype, Heisman candidate, national heads at least mentioning us. If you think 8-4 is a successful season then you're just wrong bud.

• Haha 1

Chasin’ Green Geckos:  Glad as Hell our football team doesn’t give up as quickly as some of our fans did even after the first 2 quarters at a PAC12 school for heaven’s sake. (We won that damn football game truth be told & Cal fans were even saying it to some of you leaving their Memorial Stadium).

Oh, Lord—here we go with ancient history time: Fry inherited an NT football program that had 1 win the season prior to his hiring. Littrell had nearly the same situation with the Portland State disaster the season prior to his hiring.

In Year 3 in Denton,  Fry had an SWC job offer, but he stayed at North Texas.  In Year 3 Littrell had a Big 12 job offer, but he stayed at North Texas.  Can we enjoy the journey we’re now on even in spite of our last 50 years of mostly underperforming on the gridiron?

When you are at the bottom at North Texas that in the past has been way, way down at the bottom.  Yes, we’re impatient in this microwave society & the need for instant success, but at NT we just been in a slow-cook oven way too long so maybe that’s part of what we’re having to overcome in Denton?  

The Mean Green Village & all its new venues could really help us warp speed ahead, but what’s out there still needs just a little more time to marinate for Texas, Oklahoma & Louisiana HS football talent to fully absorb before we see the full success most of us feel is now on the way.  Just my .02.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

On 9/14/2019 at 6:53 PM, p_phelps said:

I say YES! 

This is THE team to take us over the top. Even if we beat Houston in the win out (Seems HIGHLY doubtful after seeing cal QB run all over us) we still got the doors blown off by cross town rival "daddy's money's team" and lost to a P5 we honestly had no business losing too. ( This game was completely frustrating from the self inflicted wounds). In the long run we win out, win conference in what looks to be extremely weak. What does this accomplish in the grand scheme of UNT planning? We lose our best player since Joe Greene and the best expected offense in school history. Win out and we say can't brag about us like last year. All my buddies went or are fans of P5 schools ( drives me F'ING!! nuts they can be fans of a school they never even applied too and still talk shit to me). Last year I could say we took UA to the woodshed, still heard "oh they suck though" and blah blah blah. WHAT CAN I SAY THIS YEAR? IFFFFF we win out I saw we ran house on a week conference and beat one good team in UH? 

THE team that was to take us to the next level disappointed no matter what happens next. 

I completely agree with your point BECAUSE if it's not this year then when is it?! No 12-2 isn't a bad year clearly but I think this year many, including myself thought 12-0 was possible. Weak conference schedule & winnable Non Conf (We've shown we can beat SMU, Cal beatable, & UH pending) Mason could be the best QB we ever get and Littrell has as all his guys? 

Being G5 our recruiting can keep improving but eventually hits its ceiling and Seth won't be here forever. I think it's disapointing that I don't think we'll ever have a team SIGNIFICANTLY better than this one and was our chance.

On 9/14/2019 at 8:59 PM, MeanGreenTexan said:

“Win out”, meaning beat Houston in 2 weeks, win every conference game (including the championship) & a bowl game... and be “disappointed“?

Did you really think that question all the way through?  Because I think I can speak for about 98% of Mean Green fandom when I say: NO!  I won’t be disappointed in going 12-2 with a C-USA championship & bowl win.

Maybe he cant count? 12-2 would be an absolute dream!!! Can someone help me with this, When was the last time UNT won 12 games in football???? Never!!

When did we become so damn entitled? So What if we lost to SMU or Cal? If we win conference and win a bowl game, isn't that more important?

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

I’ll be in Hattiesburg but running a table?  A table full of Rudy’s barbecue maybe. This team is going to struggle to beat southern miss and la tech if we don’t get flat out blown away by a pissed off golden eagle team and good defense in Ruston. Let’s try to get 6.  I want a shot at another bowl win. 

Gmg

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

35 minutes ago, NM Green said:

I’ll be in Hattiesburg but running a table?  A table full of Rudy’s barbecue maybe. This team is going to struggle to beat southern miss and la tech if we don’t get flat out blown away by a pissed off golden eagle team and good defense in Ruston. Let’s try to get 6.  I want a shot at another bowl win. 

Gmg

We need to move our expectations way past #hit6. 

A few points:

I would absolutely love to win CUSA and go on a winning streak while doing so.  Having said that, imagine what that would do to solidify CUSA's image of being an absolutely terrible conference.  Also, unless we REALLY improve throughout the season, we would, as conference champions, likely be headed to a bowl game to play a top-level G5 team, which means we would almost certainly be blown out by 30ish points. 

In reality, I think a little more complete team will emerge in CUSA, and North Texas will struggle to win 6 games.  Next year will probably be worse as we'll really be in the midst of a rebuilding project.  

Hopefully I'm wrong about everything and we'll prove ourselves on the road against a solid Southern Miss team.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The only way this season would not be a major disappointment now is if we actually won ANY important game. Conference champ or bowl. It's sad that we have to even debate whether we can get bowl eligible in as bad a conference as this...

Then, it's just mostly a disappointment. Season is a real let down. Still, will be watching in 2 weeks.

• Upvote 3

20 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

I disagree, for the last couple of years the CUSA champ goes up against a boring MAC team. The runner up ends up playing either the SBC Champion or runner up. If my memory serves me right, which it probably doesn’t 

I'm going to partially agree with you.  Yes, the top two teams in CUSA often end up matched against the top two teams from the MAC/Sun Belt.  Winning the CUSA championship does not necessarily mean playing a ranked AAC team or a P5 opponent or anything like that--although those are within the realm of possibility.  

I would also agree that the MAC may not produce any type of top-tier champion this year and is probably pretty much the equivalent of CUSA.  However, the Sun Belt has at least two teams that I sadly think would destroy this North Texas team right now.  I'm only referring to current status, though, as we might improve considerably throughout the season.  

Two questions:

1.  If we play a 6/7-win team that has finished 3rd/4th/5th place in the MAC (or something equivalent) in a bowl game and win, does that constitute a major step forward as a program?

2.  Is this North Texas team capable of beating (or even staying competitive against) an 8-10 win team from any other conference?

I'm asking not to be rhetorical but because I honestly don't know.  My gut tells me that this is probably just not our year and that we should be very relieved just to get to 6 wins and a bowl game of any sort, if that happens.  I just hope we are able to develop the backup QBs this year and catch up to SMU in the off-season transfer market battle, because those are really our only possibilities to avoid a big drop off next year.

To go from last year's 4-0 oc record to a bad 1-3 is very disappointing.

Not just loses but bad loses to SMU and UH.  Both of these games were about over after the first quarter. 

NT has loss all chances for national recognition, but the conference championship is there to take.

I would like a great overall NT record.   

However, I would take a conference championship above an undefeated non-conference run. . 

• Upvote 2

Season still matters to everyone on here.  We are not the problem.  The problem is the many new faces who left the game dejected after the 3rd quarter last Saturday night.  Those folks have checked out for the year. 

That said, winning a conference championship or bowl game would be a nice distraction from the disappointment of this year.

2 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

To go from last year's 4-0 oc record to a bad 1-3 is very disappointing.

Not just loses but bad loses to SMU and UH.  Both of these games were about over after the first quarter. 

NT has loss all chances for national recognition, but the conference championship is there to take.

I would like a great overall NT record.   

However, I would take a conference championship above an undefeated non-conference run. . 

Well also this OOC schedule was way more competitive than last years. I would rather go 1-3 than 4-0 against bad teams and then choke in C-USA play