Now We Know Why Cal Wasn’t In The Top 25....

FirefightnRick

8EC2CC8A-FD67-451B-B1F7-2A6B230A4540.png.2534705b84a444e73bf0668f0140bd59.png9C03EA29-D837-4521-9E73-418DFDF3669C.png.966da2a9039a6eedf1c5b6dfe71ef081.png

Some great Cal alumns with connections got MeanGreenMatt, Chris and a bunch of us some pre-game field passes.  So I spent a good deal of time talking with many Cal alumns, ex players and fans down there and the one repeated comment several of them kept saying..”Wished we had yalls QB”.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Cal will not be in the Top25. They...suck. 

We blew both of our feet off with a 10 gauge in this game and tried to play keep up on stubs. 

I suspect they will be in the Top 25 if they win next week.  They may get there this week just by virtue of almost getting in last week and Washington looking good again.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

30 minutes ago, FremontBear said:

No we don't suck. We have a top-shelf defense, but we also have a hapless offense. Our D will keep us in every game, and our O will struggle in every game too. We've beaten an FCS, a G5 and a P5 team, and every one of them had a better QB. If we had Mason Fine, we'd score 40-points against you, while our Defense would still give up just 17 points.

True. You’ll have to ignore that poster. He deals in hyperbole, he’s clairvoyant, is ready to fire our coach that took over a dumpster fire of a program, etc...  Good luck to you all the remainder of the year and thanks for being a classy group of fans. 

• Upvote 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, FremontBear said:

No we don't suck. We have a top-shelf defense, but we also have a hapless offense. Our D will keep us in every game, and our O will struggle in every game too. We've beaten an FCS, a G5 and a P5 team, and every one of them had a better QB. If we had Mason Fine, we'd score 40-points against you, while our Defense would still give up just 17 points.

No, your defense kept 7 off the board while our Offense kept 14 off for you.

USC and Utah will have their way with you, especially if there’s no freak lightening delay.  

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

USC and Utah will have their way with you, especially if there’s no freak lightening delay.  

Rick

His argument that if they had Mason Fine, they'd probably have whipped us by 20-plus points is valid and stands.   

Garbers only real threat was his feet (unless his WR was wide open and he had a clean pocket), but for every big run, he also took a sack or two.  Flip QB's and we get thrashed. 

I'm glad Reeder showed glimpses of ability to make adjustments in this game, but that doesnt mean the Cal defense isn't stout.

9 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

His argument that if they had Mason Fine, they'd probably have whipped us by 20-plus points is valid and stands.   

Garbers only real threat was his feet (unless his WR was wide open and he had a clean pocket), but for every big run, he also took a sack or two.  Flip QB's and we get thrashed. 

I'm glad Reeder showed glimpses of ability to make adjustments in this game, but that doesnt mean the Cal defense isn't stout.

And my argument is their defense is overrated.

Rick

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 4

15 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

Not sure what you base your argument on, but our defense is plenty good. It limited Mason Fine (a QB UNT front office touted as Heisman candidate) to 21-40 passing, 2TD and 1 INT, and that's probably the low for Mason this season. So, if that's being overrated, then show me another team on your schedule that isn't overrated.

USC and Utah will be very tough games for us, but SC comes to Berkeley, and we can build on our victory over them last year. Playing at Utah will be even tougher, and I'd give the Utes the edge. But, our defense will keep us in the game and I certainly don't pencil it as a loss.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

And my argument is their defense is overrated.

Rick

Not sure what your basis is for that statement. Because nearly every analytic says otherwise  

Not to be disrespectful, but we actually were playing a ton of backups on defense yesterday (just so they could get some experience - something cal almost never does)

And four of our outside linebackers were out. 

Dont worry though, we get this sentiment from every single team after we beat them. UC Davis fans were saying how bad we were and how UW would blow us out. 

This is just how cal plays. They win really really ugly. 

Edited by Calfan
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Cal will not be in the Top25. They...suck. 

We blew both of our feet off with a 10 gauge in this game and tried to play keep up on stubs. 

NorthTexasWeLove ... rebuttal comment from you to the AP putting them in at #23?  (So, yes, they are now actually in the top 25).

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, vpackrats said:

NorthTexasWeLove ... rebuttal comment from you to the AP putting them in at #23?  (So, yes, they are now actually in the top 25).

Not last week they weren’t..and that’s the point.  You beat #14 and your left out says a lot.  And now that they are there we’ll see for how long.  

We should have easily put up 31 on them without our top WR all day and last year’s back ups.  Their D isn’t as good.  I’m just saying.

Rivk

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

2 hours ago, vpackrats said:

I meant, and though this sounds weak to say in hindsight, is that they will not end this year in the top 25. Not even close. 

I'll be sure to bring this thread back up after week 12. 😉 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

6 hours ago, Calfan said:

Not to be disrespectful, but we actually were playing a ton of backups on defense yesterday (just so they could get some experience - something cal almost never does)

So y'all kept your backups in even when the game got close? Sounds like a great way to win games... Good luck with the rest of your season.

• Upvote 1