***Official UNT vs. Cal Bears In-Game Discussion***

Harry

14 minutes ago, Sig381 said:

I hope mason wins the conference or a bowl game. I love the kid. I would hate to think of him as the dan marino of North Texas. 

dan marino won a conference championship though..... more like the tony romo of UNT

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

I personally think the d finally found its self today and stuffed a solid running game! Offense started slow but then began to play well against a very good defense. I’m excited to watch this team start to click I think we handle utsa and the Houston game at home should be a good one! I think we could possibly win out in conference that and a bowl win would make this year a huge success!

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

My last thoughts about this game. I thought when Brett Vito came out with his get your rear on the record segment that this would be one of the games they lost. This was a winnable game though. I think for me what makes it sting more is that I did not expect the SMU loss. I thought for sure we would head to the Houston game at 3-1. Had we won last week, this would be easier to take. The fact that we were decimated last week meant we really had to have this one. Then to see it slip away because of a slow start, bad decisions, dropped balls, undisciplined penalties, and failures to make tackles makes it hurt. Hopefully Reeder will figure out a way to get the offense going sooner. I will still love my Mean Green, but we have to get out to faster starts. Maybe instead of deferring when we win the toss, maybe we should take the ball and put pressure on opposing defenses first. Just my opinion.

Edited by Venson
Grammar
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

12 minutes ago, jsd3743 said:

I personally think the d finally found its self today and stuffed a solid running game! Offense started slow but then began to play well against a very good defense. I’m excited to watch this team start to click I think we handle utsa and the Houston game at home should be a good one! I think we could possibly win out in conference that and a bowl win would make this year a huge success!

Same. There were some definite positives.  We could have had this game.  Hope Bussey is okay. GMG!

• Upvote 2

Strange thing is that, after 3 games, I still really don't have a good read on this team.  Below average defense that plays well in spurts, with a really bad secondary... offense that sputters but has big play ability and now has Mason and Rico hurt (hopefully both will be ok).  I honestly have no idea what to expect from this point forward    🤔

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Lost by 6

I can’t help but think about the end of the 1st half. Stopped them on 3rd down with over 1:00 to play and 3 timeouts and we didn’t call one. 

Yeah, there were a few lost opportunities today.  Compared to how I felt after the SMU game, I have some glimmers of hope after this one.  It’s a long season. GMG! 

• Upvote 1

I didn’t read through this whole thread, but I’m guessing it went mostly like this:

1st half: We suck!  Todd Dodge!  Fire Reffett!  Fire Littrell!(?), Oh no, Bussey injured, our season is over!...

2nd half: Defense looking stellar!  Mason settling down...we’re gonna win this game! Re-hire Reffett!  Re-hire Littrell!  If we can play like we did in the second half, we’ll win out!

Am I close?

BTW... I REALLY hope Bussey didn’t snap a knee ligament.  The way he went down & the way he got up (frustrated, because he probably felt it pop), makes me think we’re going to be getting a redshirt this year for Rico, unfortunately.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Nope. And saying something over and over and over doesn’t make it true. Cal beat a very good Washington team last week and we had our chances to beat Cal. 

Cal should win 7 games, but if that QB can't play against our mediocre defense it could be a long season 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

My thoughts from Berkeley today....The first half was bad. The Cal QB played bad. Our defense was not so bad that second half.

I thought the Cal fans were very nice. They asked a lot of questions about Mason. I only had one kid come up to me and tell me that North Texas sucks. I responded back to him, if we suck so bad, why did y’all only beat us by 6 points?

Also, the traffic here is horrendous. I miss Whataburger. See you guys at Apogee next week.

• Upvote 6

33 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

My thoughts from Berkeley today....The first half was bad. The Cal QB played bad. Our defense was not so bad that second half.

I thought the Cal fans were very nice. They asked a lot of questions about Mason. I only had one kid come up to me and tell me that North Texas sucks. I responded back to him, if we suck so bad, why did y’all only beat us by 6 points?

Also, the traffic here is horrendous. I miss Whataburger. See you guys at Apogee next week.

The fans were super hospitable. Lots of high praise after the game, including from a sweet elderly couple on the BART train afterwards who I told we hope we see them at Apogee in 2022.

No problems with students. Either they are even more disengaged/uninformed about the sports realm as our students are, or just didn't care. I heard several students before the game ask who they were playing lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, 97and03 said:

Reeder needs to learn that RBs are allowed to carry the ball before the 2nd quarter. Mason was off his game and the middle of the Cal D was vulnerable and we  didn’t take advantage of it early enough. 

More important than that to me, he needs to remember that it is allowed to design and call pass plays to TEs

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2