***Official UNT vs. Cal Bears In-Game Discussion***

Harry

Well, for this year we have to go with what NT has. Secondary that may be the worst in the nation but decent LBers and solid DL. They can win that way if the O delivers. My biggest concern is the O and Mason Fine. We all knew the O would have to carry the team and they have failed to do that. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Because NT moved the ball.  Therefore their defense is not as advertised.  

Great logic, could it be possible that NT's offense may deserve some credit?

329 yards of offense with multiple drops and miss thrown balls for both TD's is not going to be observed as credit by me. 

If you want to pop a lightbulb up your ass and feel giddy, then by all means. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

This was a winnable game. The slow starts have to stop. Reeder has to figure out what the defense is doing sooner. It takes him too long to make in game adjustments. Had the offense started faster, we would have won. Defense eventually settled in. Question, did Nick Harvey play? I didn't see him getting beat as much this game or did they move him around?

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

If this Cal defense ends up being one of the best in the nation at the end of the season then I wouldn't be disgusted.  They beat Washington last week 20-19

Cal is 7-5 at absolute best. They will be .500 in conference play and beat 3 teams like us or worse. They have a bad SEC team next week that will more than likely pistol whip them because their offense IS that bad. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Cal is 7-5 at absolute best. They will be .500 in conference play and beat 3 teams like us or worse. They have a bad SEC team next week that will more than likely pistol whip them because their offense IS that bad. 

Cal's offense is horrible.  I don't doubt that record. But their defense, especially their secondary, is elite.  I hate how you can't see downfield half the time while they wait on the qb to throw.  I really believe there wasn't much open for Fine tonight.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, peanuts104 said:

Cal's offense is horrible.  I don't doubt that record. But their defense, especially their secondary, is elite.  I hate how you can't see downfield half the time while they wait on the qb to throw.  I really believe there wasn't much open for Fine tonight.

Shorter had 3 drops. One for a TD. One for a 4th Q first down. Griffin had a 4th Q drop. 

Shorter dropped a 1st half, wide open, touchdown. 

Our check downs don't know what they are doing...you are not supposed to be 5 yards behind the LOS. That'a asinine. 

And I've been to enough UNT games in the SL era to know that they call slow developing routes WAY TOO MUCH at very inopportune times. 

They also ran the ball when it was time to throw the ball too much. This nitpick might be nitpicking too much, but they are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars. Look at their D, and give your dang 4 year starting QB the chance to audible into a better play which is something I rarely see Fine do, if ever. 

This was a complete wasted opportunity and should have resulted in an easy W. Cal, overall, is a bad football team. 

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I love our fanbase.

North Texas scores a lot...”the other team’s defense is clearly horrible”

North Texas scores a little...”Our offense is clearly not as good as advertised because the other team’s defense is overrated”

This team sure does find a way to make any outcome on the field feel tenuous. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Shorter had 3 drops. One for a TD. One for a 4th Q first down. Griffin had a 4th Q drop. 

Our check downs don't know what they are doing...you are not supposed to be 5 yards behind the LOS. That'a asinine. 

And I've been to enough UNT games in the SL era to know that they call slow developing routes WAY TOO MUCH at very inopportune times. 

They also ran the ball when it was time to throw the ball too much. This nitpick might be nitpicking too much, but they are paid hundreds of thousands of dollars. Look at their D, and give your dang 4 year starting QB the chance to audible into a better play which is something I rarely see Fine do, if ever. 

This was a complete wasted opportunity and should have resulted in an easy W. Cal, overall, is a bad football team. 

I don't disagree with anything you said except that overall Cal is a bad football team.  They are average, bad offense, good defense.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I love our fanbase.

North Texas scores a lot...”the other team’s defense is clearly horrible”

North Texas scores a little...”Our offense is clearly not as good as advertised because the other team’s defense is overrated”

Well, Emmitt, then give a damn opinion of your own. Do you have one? We are ALL dying to hear it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

329 yards of offense with multiple drops and miss thrown balls for both TD's is not going to be observed as credit by me. 

If you want to pop a lightbulb up your ass and feel giddy, then by all means. 

What a stupid and inappropriate response. 

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Yes, football teams and players seem to make errors during the game.

Let me know when you see your perfect game.

Opponents do make a difference, despite what you seem to think Cal is a very good team

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2