First Responders and the 9/11 Anniversary

While observing/remembering the events of 9/11 yesterday and thinking about the recent "mass shooting" in my community, I would like to think the members of our board that are first responders.  I ended up being directly involved in the incident in Midland/Odessa having been called in to work due to some issues and observing and working with the first responders out here just confirms how selfless they are in serving their communities.  They put their lives on the line every day for the citizens of our communities and are typically criticized more than they are thanked.  

The most amazing thing was the reaction of the national media.  The NY Times called our building, we chose not to answer, not 30 minutes after the shooter was killed and then while watching a national news station at 5pm, a "law enforcement expert" was on the station being critical of the response. The situation was not totally settled until after 6pm, yet this "expert" was being critical of our responders.  People watching from other areas don't know this and take these reports seriously leading to criticism in regards to how they handled the situation which is far from fair.

I could share more, but the purpose of this post is to say thank you to our law enforcement, fire and rescue, ambulance drivers, medical personnel and all others that are considered first responders in situations of this nature.  You are far underpaid and overworked and 99.9% of you deserve much more credit for the job you do.

• Upvote 3