Us World News College Ranking

Salsa_Verde

3 hours ago, letsgiveacheer said:

I wish these "rankings" would go away.   More importantly, I wish institutions would stop giving them any credibility.  Is U of Houston really 100 universities better than UNT?

Assuming 4,000 universities, that is only 2.5% higher. That doesn't seem like something to get too upset about to me. We are finally in the top group on this, we should be excited about that even if these rankings don't objectively mean much. People do put stock in them, so getting into the top group is a big deal.

• Upvote 6
  • Eye Roll 1

It is great that NT is finally in the actually ranked group of National Universities. One serious problem with the category is the inclusion of a bunch of tiny schools that hardly anyone has ever heard of. There is simply no comparing the mighty William Carey University, enrollment 3,191 to NT, enrollment 31,347. If you take just the recognizable schools that have enrollment more than 17,000, nationwide there are only 9 that separate NT from TX Tech and only 24 that separate NT from Alabama which is a pretty good school for a really big school.  (LSU and Arkansas are also ranked the same as Alabama but are not comparable in enrollment.) It is a big step forward for NT but US News should do something to make the 'National' category more about larger/more significant schools with more complete programs and recognizable brands. 

• Upvote 2

I’ve never been a fan of this particular ranking system as they don’t really verify some of these school’s claims. Oklahoma for instance was inflating their alumni donations for years, its weighted at 5% in their ranking system. Other schools flat out lie about SAT scores. I think schools know it’s the most recognized college ranking publication, so they bend the rules to be included. That being said, I think North Texas has done it the right way and this ranking is legit. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/11/2019 at 11:57 PM, Christopher Walker said:

While institutions of higher ed will still trumpet positive rankings from USNWR, it’s always been recognized as a joke.

Rankings are rankings. Doesn't matter who it comes from unless it's bad for us. Then screw that publications. Obviously

harry potter book GIF

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1