Some insights on Cal

BearInsider

I went to the Cal board. I was told ANTIFA will greet me at the gates. I'm from East Texas, I'll put in a boot in their ass.

On a serious note, the other Cal fans were very friendly on the board and told me it was a joke. Apparently the Ole Miss fans thought ANTIFA would be at their game lol.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

I went to the Cal board. I was told ANTIFA will greet me at the gates. I'm from East Texas, I'll put in a boot in their ass.

On a serious note, the other Cal fans were very friendly on the board and told me it was a joke. Apparently the Ole Miss fans thought ANTIFA would be at their game lol.

Yeah, it was a stupid joke. Texas fans had similar concerns a few years back. They left being less concerned about the commies and hippies and more about the fact that a Sonny Dykes coached team beat em.

Whoops... my bad. 

AFC42E86-DE95-4C19-9C38-0776E304B17C.gif

Edited by NYCGOBEARS
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

39 minutes ago, jtm0097 said:

I love how that's the first reaction to coming to Berkeley and the Bay Area from just about every fanbase in the South. 

As it is with any place you visit--don't be a dick and you'll probably have a great time. And Cal fans are pretty friendly. Except the drunken fratstars. They're the same anywhere.

Enjoy the trip!

Edited by drunkbearr
  • Upvote 4

15 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

It is nice to have fans from the opposing team come on here for a little "back and forth" with a good sense of humor.  Too bad our moderators don't share in that.  Wish I could make the trip the trip for the game, but as a father of teenagers, my kids activities prevent that this time.  You all sound like a great fan base.  I get out that way a couple of times a year for work down in the Marina area.  Beautiful part of your state.  Here's to a good game.  I hope we show up and don't lay another egg like we did in the first quarter against smuT.

Been busy this week with family and trying to catch up. Amped for Cal (really wanted to make this trip), but only finding the usual endless threads of you whining about various slights (fight songs, mean old mods, how we shouldn't engage SMU trolls while continuously engaging them and getting owned while doing it.)

Anyone know where I can discuss the game maturely without all this cliche millenial victimhood?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

On 9/10/2019 at 12:46 PM, BearInsider said:

The Golden Bears are an exceptionally well coached team with an elite defense and an offense that is still very much a work in progress.

Cal returns nine starters from a defense that by most advanced metrics was top 10 nationally last year.  It's got a tremendous secondary, an All American ILB and very good depth and talent everywhere save for DT/NG.  The team can be run on between the tackles, otherwise it's tough sledding.

Offensively, last year was horrific with a ton of turnovers and defensive touchdowns scored against the team.  This year, the talent at RB, WR and TE is improved.  The starting QB is in his 2nd year and has yet to establish himself as a passer.  He can run and is tough both mentally and physically and so far this season has avoided bad mistakes.  The OL is down three starters making pass protection and penalties a problem.  However, that unit rose to the occasion and ran the ball down UWs throat last weekend.   The Bears will be looking to establish their passing game against UNT to build some confidence going into the meat of the schedule.

This is a potential trap game coming off the big win vs. the ranked Huskies and before a long road trip to play Ole Miss the following week.  

Would be great if you guys could post over at www.bearinsider.com (Growls Forum) and fill us in on the Mean Green

Welcome.

Thanks for the information.  I have watched both Cal games this year.  Your assessment makes sense of what I saw.

North Texas will sell out to stop the run (Brown and Dancy - both good backs and would be better with a stronger O-Line) and will make Garbers beat them with his arm.  Garbers does not appear to be as accurate as Buechelle from SMU but also looks like a decent runner unlike Buechelle.  Garbers will look to pick on our CB #9 Nick Harvey who has been terrible this year in one on one matchups.  Our defense is fast but small and inexperienced.  If Cal runs plays at a quick pace like SMU that could continue to be a problem as our defense was not ready with their play calling last week (it's embarrassing to say but it's the truth).  

Your defense will be the toughest we will face all year.  Until last week I wasn't quite concerned about that as our offense with Mason Fine and our stable of running backs have been able to put up points against every opponent the last two years.  Last week they were shut down for much of the game which was shocking to all of us. It was easily Mason Fines worst game of his career.  I am sure CAL will look to mix up the coverages just as SMU did so I hope our coaches are prepared.  One of our biggest frustrations from last year was coaches not making mid-game/second half adjustments and we blew several big leads because of it.  I look for us to run the ball a lot as we have several (5) solid running backs to rotate and Torrey and Siggers will have the most carries.  

We have a new offensive coordinator (Bodie Reeder) from Eastern Washington as last years OC (Graham Harrell) is now with USC.  The offensive scheme was a mess last week so we'll see if they have cleaned things up.

The line on the game might be about right but could be even larger.  Our defense lost a lot of talented starters from last year and I see them continue to struggle against Cal.  I hope I'm wrong but I see Cal winning 34 - 20.

Edited by Talon90
  • Upvote 1

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2852937-college-football-picks-week-3-predictions-for-every-game#slide6

North Texas at California (4:15 p.m. ET, California -13.5)

North Texas should be a good litmus test for California's potential on offense. Led by quarterback Mason Fine, the Mean Green will move the ball and get a few scores, even against this excellent Golden Bears defense. But any competent offense should be able to score against North Texas' D. Even Abilene Christian put up 31 points and 456 yards of total offense in the opener. If Cal is to be taken seriously as a Pac-12 contender following last week's upset of Washington, it has to score at least 40.

Prediction: California 42, North Texas 24

• Upvote 1

https://sportschatplace.com/picks/college-football/california-vs-north-texas-9-14-19-college-football-pick-odds-and-prediction

North Texas fell behind 21-0 in the first quarter of the SMU game and realistically didn’t have much of a shot beyond that. Cal probably isn’t going to come out with utter offensive dominance like that so this should be a more manageable matchup at least initially. I’m going to stick with the Golden Bears in the end but otherwise not going near it.

Pick:

9 hours ago, Philip Ferguson said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2852937-college-football-picks-week-3-predictions-for-every-game#slide6

North Texas at California (4:15 p.m. ET, California -13.5)

North Texas should be a good litmus test for California's potential on offense. Led by quarterback Mason Fine, the Mean Green will move the ball and get a few scores, even against this excellent Golden Bears defense. But any competent offense should be able to score against North Texas' D. Even Abilene Christian put up 31 points and 456 yards of total offense in the opener. If Cal is to be taken seriously as a Pac-12 contender following last week's upset of Washington, it has to score at least 40.

Prediction: California 42, North Texas 24

You think Cal is scoring 42 against us? I mean we gave up 49 to a good SMU offense, but Cal’s offense is nowhere near SMU