Everyone is blaming the secondary

Harry

41 minutes ago, Harry said:

But what about the pass rush?  Seems like we are leaving these guys on an island for far too long.  Our pass rush was significantly better last year.

I halfway agree with that statement. Hamilton was the only defensive presence (maybe Cam), but SMU on every 3rd down would target Harvey no matter if there was pass rush

• Upvote 5

27 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Outside of Hamilton, it was pretty scarce.  Ozougwo (sp?) needs to produce from the edge.  Also, where was English last night?  Did he even play?

I didn’t see English.  He may still be hurt.  He left the last game with an injury.

26 minutes ago, GreenBacker said:

I don’t remember seeing Himalayas night, but know he got hurt against ACU and never made it back in that game. 

I saw English coming off gingerly vs ACU as well with a pissed off look like he may have re-injured what had already been rehabbed. 

• Upvote 1

#9 Harvey is just plain bad.  Honestly he looks stiff and it looks like he has bad hips.  His coverage wasn't even close and to try and blame that on the rush is just bad.  It was either a 3 step drop or a 5 step drop and the QB just tossed it out there.  Ain't no rush going to stop a vertical ball being thrown on a 3 or 5 step drop.  It baffles me how we haven't put somebody else in or cheat a safety that way to cover our weakest db.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MEANGREENCOACH2 said:

#9 Harvey is just plain bad.  Honestly he looks stiff and it looks like he has bad hips.  His coverage wasn't even close and to try and blame that on the rush is just bad.  It was either a 3 step drop or a 5 step drop and the QB just tossed it out there.  Ain't no rush going to stop a vertical ball being thrown on a 3 or 5 step drop.  It baffles me how we haven't put somebody else in or cheat a safety that way to cover our weakest db.

Porche is the fastest guy on the field. Some of the deep throws were spot on with Harvey being in good position. To not cheat a safety over was plain stupid. 

8 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Porche is the fastest guy on the field. Some of the deep throws were spot on with Harvey being in good position. To not cheat a safety over was plain stupid. 

You can cheat a safety but then our run defense becomes that much weaker which I think speaks to Harry's point about our front 7.  It's pick your poison right now.  Most teams are going pick stopping the running game first and make the QB beat you.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Talon90 said:

You can cheat a safety but then our run defense becomes that much weaker which I think speaks to Harry's point about our front 7.  It's pick your poison right now.  Most teams are going pick stopping the running game first and make the QB beat you.

I agree, but on obvious passing down you should neutralize their No. 1 threat. The 3rd and long conversion for SMU killed us.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I saw English coming off gingerly vs ACU as well with a pissed off look like he may have re-injured what had already been rehabbed. 

Hate to say it because I really like him, but it might be time to put English on the "Could have been" list. No doubt the talent and desire are there but his body is not able to support his efforts.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

I thought Proche was on Johnson’s side and Robertson was on Harvey’s side?

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

I agree, but on obvious passing down you should neutralize their No. 1 threat. The 3rd and long conversion for SMU killed us.

Pretty sure the "No.1 threat" was fairly obvious, and it wasn't either receiver or the QB... it was Jones. 
Through 3 quarters, he had run for 117 yards & 3 TDs including the 51yd dagger that put the game away.

In 4 years of playing SMU, this was the first year Proche has done squat against us. 

• Upvote 1

I would respectfully disagree.  The deep fade/go route to either Proche, but more commonly Robertson killed us.  The long completion/pass interference penalty kept too many drives alive.  If we pressed they ran that route.  If we dropped off they ran the quick timing out route.  We were out-coached.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 4

14 hours ago, Harry said:

I didn’t see English.  He may still be hurt.  He left the last game with an injury.

14 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I saw him dressed out but didn't see him in the game but I might of overlooked him

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Regarding MR. ENGLISH, we need to move on.

I admire what he has gone through, and struggled, and tried to make his dream happen. Been rooting for him the whole way, and still am. But health/life > football, and I wish him the best after. The guy has the resolve of steel, he'll do well whatever happens

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 1

Look! We need cover corners now, they lost the game for us along with poor preparation and coaching; quit looking at the damn sidelines and get the play off. Thought we were going to a faster tempo, perhaps the OC needs to pull his head out of his ass; should we have hire a division 1-AA coach? Either way, if we don't fix this soon we're toast!

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1