#8 Rico Bussey

American_Patriot

Riddle me this fans/ alum/ coaches/ opponents why is it the top receiver for North  Texas only targeted TWO times the entire game? How does a Heisman candidate not get the ball to his best player? How does the OC not game plan for one of his best players? A kid that will kill the North Texas draft drought does not touch the ball. The one pass to #8 was behind him. The other pass was out of bounds. The corner was a step if not two steps behind each route. Again how does this happen to such a prolific offense?

• Ray 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 4

4 minutes ago, American_Patriot said:

Riddle me this fans/ alum/ coaches/ opponents why is it the top receiver for North  Texas only targeted TWO times the entire game? How does a Heisman candidate not get the ball to his best player? How does the OC not game plan for one of his best players? A kid that will kill the North Texas draft drought does not touch the ball. The one pass to #8 was behind him. The other pass was out of bounds. The corner was a step if not two steps behind each route. Again how does this happen to such a prolific offense?

Im almost positive Bussey got more than two passes thrown his way but no more than five. Not much a difference i know. I agree with you, I dont know why they didnt put him in a better position to catch the ball. Slants, drags, putting him in motion, IDK. Need to figure that out for next week.

One was the deep post where the DB made a play on it

One was a pass down the side line on a go route that was overthrown

And Im almost positive there was 1 or two more

6 minutes ago, Talon90 said:

It's unfortunately pretty simple to explain.  Bussey was covered (no seperation) and Mason rarely had time to scan the field.

I disagree with your explanation as it was not covered from the corner. When has one on one coverage prevent a QB from delivering the ball to a skilled receiver?

• Eye Roll 1

Are you familiar with the term "shutdown corner" or "blanket coverage"? 

That's what happened last night when you watched Bussey run his routes.  He was visibly frustrated which led to his false start near the goal line.  That corner was in his head all night as he had him consistently covered.  The very few times I saw Bussey relatively open  Mason had no time to see him.

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, ADLER said:

As one dimensional as some of you say he was, we certainly missed Jalen Guyton and his ability to force the other team to respect his 4.28 speed. Teams can now lock down on our receivers without constantly having to worry about the post route.

Not sure where you get the ”4.28” speed... The QB has to put the ball in the air to allow for the WR to compete. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

That is what Buechele did all night.  He threw the ball up either his WR's made great catches or the refs flagged us for PI.

Yep. Buchelle didn’t impress me at all. He just tossed it up and got a PI, hold, and on occasion a catch. 

• Downvote 3

I agree with Wag Tag - that Bussey was double teamed all night. 

Mason had no time to even complete his check downs. The smu defense was all over Fine all night. Take Fine out of the game and you will win!

Coach Dykes was not going to let Fine get on a roll and not to let Bussey have any receptions. 

Game plan worked! Stopped us cold in our tracks! 

Edited by Charlie NT 73

I put this on Reeder. Yes Fine had a bad night, yes Bussey had trouble getting open deep. But the game plan didn't really have enough bubble screens, and other short routes, TE were used almost exclusively to block. We put lots of folks on the line, which means there were not enough fast people running around the 2-7 yard gain area, making it easy to focus on those that actually were there (and SMU put extra folks in those areas making it even harder) and making it easy to double team those going deeper (often Bussey). Last seasons offense did well because it lived on getting 4-7 pass yard gains in order to open up the big ones. Against SMU it was run or home-run pass, nothing in between. When the receivers did get a pass reeled in between Fines bad night and their own bad night (a lot of dinosaur arming too), they generally actually managed to gain some decent yards after. But the OC just simply did not help by giving up on the short and extremely quick passing game that would have reduced the impact of the O-Line.

Although the game plan is different, it is essentially what happened to Canales. He had decent amounts of home runs dialed up, but the O-line (and QBs and WRs) could not deliver and was rarely going to. Also with this kind of game plan, being short actually IS a disadvantage. With last years offense it did not matter nearly as much, it mattered much more what precision your passers arm has. Feels like this year there was not enough willingness to adapt to the considerable strengths the players on this team DO have, rather they game planned to the strengths the coaches would like them to have. That usually fails.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, American_Patriot said:

Raveon Hoston and Dajon Williams agree.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Mason held the ball a lot while I was watching.  I don't know what happened to those quick throws/progressions, but he has to actually throw the ball in order for a WR to catch it.  Sometimes, that's going to mean throwing into tight windows & letting your WRs make a play.   Saw a couple of uncharacteristic drops by Darden as well, so it went both ways.

Not sure if getting punched in the mouth to the tune of 21-0 just rattled NT to the point we couldn't recover or what...

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Mason held the ball a lot while I was watching.  I don't know what happened to those quick throws/progressions, but he has to actually throw the ball in order for a WR to catch it.  Sometimes, that's going to mean throwing into tight windows & letting your WRs make a play.   Saw a couple of uncharacteristic drops by Darden as well, so it went both ways.

Not sure if getting punched in the mouth to the tune of 21-0 just rattled NT to the point we couldn't recover or what...

Besides Siggers, it was a bad game all around for both coaches and players. The energy was flat to start off the game and then the stupid 4 and 1 play trying to throw it down field was horrendous. But rather lose now then later, let this be a learning lesson to move forward. 

43 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This. MF held onto the ball far too long. He did this in his freshman year a lot as well. But his combos were being ran right into the D. Most times he would see that and try to rollout and hit one of them anyway instead of checking down. Also, way too many deep routes called throughout this game.  We were out coached and it got ugly quick.