Losing Harrell will hurt more than anticipated

MeanGreenGlory

There were a handful of concerns going into last night, but I expected our offense to be potent enough to win in a shootout. 

Instead, SMU contained us and we struggled to get anything going. 

After losing the game, I flipped over to the USC vs. Stanford game only to find USC playing a freshman QB and creating matchups that the favored Stanford's Defense couldn’t control. USC’s offense looked like our offense last year, and they rolled on to upset Stanford and go 2-0. 

If Graham we’re still here, I think we would have walked away with a W in Dallas last night. Losing him has already had a significant impact. Here’s to hoping our new OC can fill the shoes soon.

• Upvote 5
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 7

Just now, MeanGreenGlory said:

There were a handful of concerns going into last night, but I expected our offense to be potent enough to win in a shootout. 

After losing the game, I flipped over to the USC vs. Stanford game only to find USC playing a freshman QB and creating matchups that the favored Stanford's Defense couldn’t control. USC’s offense looked like our offense last year, and they rolled on to upset Stanford and go 2-0. 

If Graham we’re still here, I think we would have walked away with a W in Dallas last night. Losing him has already had a significant impact. Here’s to hoping our new OC can fill the shoes soon.

I'm not sure about that. This was reminiscent of FAU debacle a few couple years ago. I think seth needs to know when to call time out and settle guys down

• Upvote 4

50 minutes ago, MeanGreenGlory said:

I am wondering the same thing. I am starting to wonder if it was really GH calling the calls we didn't like when he was here or was it really SL? After last night, SL may have been the guy behind the questionable play calling and GH may have been the guy behind the great play calls.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

The NT offense was bad, therefore it is because they changed the offensive coordinator.  

Logical to some degree, but way too early to call.

I think many of us are underplaying the emotional factor in this game.  After last years' debacle for SMU, they came out on fire.

The game was basically over, before NT woke up.   

NT has some glaring holes on defense, and until those are fixed; there are going to be few wins.   NT for some reason played to stop the run and left the corners totally exposed.  

No only didn't stop the run, but got killed on simple out throws. 

• Upvote 5

When I spoke to Littrell a few months ago he said not to worry about the offense. A lot would stay the same (terminology) with the new OC coming in, but we would add a few new wrinkles like more TE usage. I don't think the SMU game was the cause of a new OC, I think it's more that SMU was ready for us and executed better. 

• Upvote 1

Was it the OC fault...HC or what. It's too early to start blaming specific individuals. SMU came to play and UNT didn't get off the bus. This was a mental error by all including the NT fans. Certain people on this board kept shooting Red Star Clusters trying to warn us...but we refused to believe. I'm off my cloud and will assume every game will be a nut buster...UNiTE and assume No gimme's.

We seem to have a couple of these type of games a year...unfortunately. This time the opponent was ready and we weren't.....

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, RBP79 said:

Was it the OC fault...HC or what. It's too early to start blaming specific individuals. SMU came to play and UNT didn't get off the bus. This was a mental error by all including the NT fans. Certain people on this board kept shooting Red Star Clusters trying to warn us...but we refused to believe. I'm off my cloud and will assume every game will be a nut buster...UNiTE and assume No gimme's.

We seem to have a couple of these type of games a year...unfortunately. This time the opponent was ready and we weren't.....

If we wrap up OOC at 2-2 color me shocked. It's just about a foregone conclusion that we're 1-3 in OOC. And tbh, I think 6-6 May be the ceiling. Our year was last year and we squandered that to a 5-3 record in league play. To be 6-6, we're going to have to better our conference record +1. I'm not sure we do that so that is why I see a ceiling at 6-6.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

If we wrap up OOC at 2-2 color me shocked. It's just about a foregone conclusion that we're 1-3 in OOC. And tbh, I think 6-6 May be the ceiling. Our year was last year and we squandered that to a 5-3 record in league play. To be 6-6, we're going to have to better our conference record +1. I'm not sure we do that so that is why I see a ceiling at 6-6.

I can't argue any of this. My fear was 1-3 in OOC, but I thought we'd still beat SMU. I expected losses this season to Cal, UH, La Tech, and one of the following (@USM, MUTS, or UAB), for an 8-4 record. Now, I'm feeling as if 7-5 would be more realistic, since Charlotte, UTSA, Rice, and UTEP are just atrocious. 

I thought we were going to get the TE's involved more?? Kelvin Smith caught two passes and Im not sure out of how many targets but I would imagine that they would have more dump offs to them.....

There were numerous times I saw us in the Trip sets to one side and the defense had one corner and a safety over the top. Why wouldn't we take advantage of that and throw a quick bubble screen or smoke route to that side to the fastest player on the field, Darden, or our big physical WR Bussey that didn't catch the ball ONCE!!!

I trust that they will turn this around and it's just one bad game but for two offensive minds like Littrell and Bodie I would of thought we would of seen some more magic than what we  saw Saturday. This offense is way too good to have your "Heisman" Candidate only throw for 152 yds. I agree with a lot of you saying that we got out coached because we most certainly did. You have to put your players in a better spot to succeed and they didn't do that Saturday.

I'm heading west for the game this weekend so I hope to God, they come looking for a fight because that Cal defense is no joke and I don't really feel like getting taunted by a bunch of Yuppies from Berkeley. 

Edited by Withers940

On 9/8/2019 at 11:06 AM, MeanGreenGlory said:

Nope...personally, I am glad Harrell is gone.  Way way too predictable.  Going right up the middle three times...every time...inside the 15 is not my idea of creative.  It was like Dickey-ball all over again.  Nope. I am more than happy with the change.  I guess we will all see over time.

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 2