Foundation of This Team - 2016-2018 Recruiting

BillySee58

What I’d like to know is how many of the 17 transfers SMU brought in started or played last night?

Seems to me if they got a majority of the snaps then they were the difference from last years team to this one,...negating any reason to ever heavily recruit high school kids again.

I know of one without checking..Buechelle.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

What I’d like to know is how many of the 17 transfers SMU brought in started or played last night?

Seems to me if they got a majority of the snaps then they were the difference from last years team to this one,...negating any reason to ever heavily recruit high school kids again.

I know of one without checking..Buechelle.

Rick

And the corner from UCLA that was in Bussey’s jockstrap ALL NIGHT

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, American_Patriot said:

When a receiver gets two targets you cannot assess a corner had the receiver on lockdown. Bussey only had two targets due to Mason not getting the ball out quick enough.

Well if the O line would give him more time, he could actually hit Bussey

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

A lot of things were bad for us last night INCLUDING Mason’s play. SMU played good defense but he missed a lot of throws you just can’t miss in a game like that. 

It's not easy to get a good throw when SMU defenders are in your face

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

It's not easy to get a good throw when SMU defenders are in your face

We can either be realistic about his performance or not. I love mason. But his play was a big part of why we lost so badly. I would not be shocked at all if he comes back and has an all conference season. 

3 hours ago, American_Patriot said:

Seems like the aggregate of folks do not want to critique the Heisman candidate. In order to grow and become a high power team it is paramount to address all issues.

Luckily, we fans don't have to address the issues. We have coaches to do that job.

We just get to eat food, drink beer, donate and arm chair critique the best QB in school history.

Don't know that the growing into a higher power team is as much on us as it is the coaches and players. This is their team. They are the ones that will make it whatever it is.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

15 hours ago, LongJim said:

To Billy's point--as long as the QB play stays high, I think the recruiting results of the last couple of years is going to start to pay off.

we have 4 years of Seth and now a new OC that came with promises of TE use. Yet here we are, making questionable calls on 3rd and short and just...overall.  I think maybe we have seen Seth max out on philosophy and culture.  The only factor left to help us get over this hump is the up-tick in Jimmy-Joe’s.

this has been my one optimistic thought the last 24 hours.

Edited by greenminer

Last year's recruiting class was the first one since Dickey's great recruiting class in 2000ish that had TX HS recruits choosing us over legitimate G5 programs and being ranked fairly high in CUSA. It will pay off dividends later, but only if we have both a solid QB and a solid HFC. Otherwise, we will look like some combo of Dodge's teams (good QBs with no head coach) or Mac's teams (worst collection of QBs once DT left)...

I wanted to make this exact topic Saturday I just couldn't bring myself to do it because I have been pointing this out all year amongst the kool-aid posts. We have missed in evaluating offensive and defensive linemen as well as linebackers, that much is easy to see but I can't get over how few DL players we have signed out of high school. 2016-1 2017-2(one gone) 2018- 2 (one gone) 2019- 3 (finally!) 2020- 2 commits. Trying to cover up those misses with JUCO players who don't have good offer sheets but have FBS ready bodies has not worked. They are getting pushed in to our young linebackers who are going to need a season to figure things out. I am not trashing the Davis boys I love that we are putting an emphasis on fast linebackers but we signed zero high school linebackers in Seth's first class (2016) and signed two in the second.. Thornton who has never seen the field and Fulp who left the program. That's hard to overcome.

This defense lost 4 (four!) guys who made it to NFL camps and we are now paying for missing so badly in 2016 and 2017 on front seven players. I still think we can have a good season against CUSA teams and possibly finish with 8 wins. I just hope we don't shit the bed and get stomped in a bowl game again.

• Upvote 1