Just Saying...........

meangreenbob

33 minutes ago, Udomann said:

I'm grateful those wins got us on the national stage for a week or two. But the team, the staff, drop the ball every. single. time.

I want to be wrong I really do. 

There’s a fine line between being spoiled and having big boy expectations.

SL is one of the highest paid coaches in G5. I can appreciate that we’re probably only a stopping ground for him. 

My gripe is that, if SL left tomorrow, what would his legacy be? Where are the signature wins? We beat up on hapless Arkansas last year. Was that the pinnacle of North Texas football under SL? Every time there’s a smidgen of hype or attention paid to this team, we shit the bed. That is on the coaches.

If we have to put up with the constant speculation about SL moving on to another program, I don’t think it is unreasonable to have higher expectations than winning most of the easy games, dropping the tough ones, and getting blown out in a bowl. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

lol, this thread is hilarious... I wonder what the board will look like if we whoop up on Cal?

For me? It'll be me, humbled, and owning up to my mistakes, but cautious still. 

I think there's a misrepresentation here: No one want us to lose. No one wants Seth fired on the spot. No one wants Bodie out after 2 games (Reffett is another story, for next weeks discussion). I'd love to to see an upset. 

The general feeling, as far as I can tell, is that we are turning downhill. Wren and his department have stepped up and made this an amazing PR experience. The Team and coaching have so far not lived up. We fans shouldn't settle. We look upwards and onwards and take pride in our school. I've been spewing UNT propaganda all over the work place. And now I get to hear crap about it yet again.

Edited by Udomann
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

lol, this thread is hilarious... I wonder what the board will look like if we whoop up on Cal?

If some huge changes don’t occur over the next week, don’t hold your breath. The team that made the trip down 35 this past Saturday will be run out of Cal with a fat L. I hope I’m wrong. 

56 minutes ago, Udomann said:

So, mediocre in CUSA is a good stopping place for you?

giphy.gif

Mediocre is a good starting point after going 1-11 with a depleted roster (arguably one of the worst rosters in FBS).

I'm not saying I'm happy receiving L's. Far from it. I'm just happy that we're mad about it, and it's not just another day in North Texas football.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Aldo said:

giphy.gif

Mediocre is a good starting point after going 1-11 with a depleted roster (arguably one of the worst rosters in FBS).

I'm not saying I'm happy receiving L's. Far from it. I'm just happy that we're mad about it, and it's not just another day in North Texas football.

I'll give you upvotes for that. Glad to be on a message board, at work, complaining about our team not achieving astronomical success vs Dodge days football. I do want more, and better than what we've seen so far though!

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

There’s a fine line between being spoiled and having big boy expectations.

SL is one of the highest paid coaches in G5. I can appreciate that we’re probably only a stopping ground for him. 

My gripe is that, if SL left tomorrow, what would his legacy be? Where are the signature wins? We beat up on hapless Arkansas last year. Was that the pinnacle of North Texas football under SL? Every time there’s a smidgen of hype or attention paid to this team, we shit the bed. That is on the coaches.

If we have to put up with the constant speculation about SL moving on to another program, I don’t think it is unreasonable to have higher expectations than winning most of the easy games, dropping the tough ones, and getting blown out in a bowl. 

Agree.
Something tells me that if we don't win at least 9 games again this year, Littrell's yearly extension/raise will not occur again this offseason.

But I bet we do.

4 minutes ago, Udomann said:

For me? It'll be me, humbled, and owning up to my mistakes, but cautious still. 

I think there's a misrepresentation here: No one want us to lose. No one wants Seth fired on the spot. No one wants Bodie out after 2 games (Reffett is another story, for next weeks discussion). I'd love to to see an upset. 

The general feeling, as far as I can tell, is that we are turning downhill. Wren and his department have stepped up and made this an amazing PR experience. The Team and coaching have so far not lived up. We fans shouldn't settle. We look upwards and onwards and take pride in our school. I've been spewing UNT propaganda all over the work place. And now I get to hear crap about it yet again.

? I don't know where you are getting a 'general feeling' from, the 100-ish regular posters on this board?

Also, is the feeling that we are turning downhill? or that we are settling and fine where we are at? 

It sounds like you are having a bad day at work because we lost... it happens, it just means you are a fan.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Udomann said:

Prove me wrong? Are you happy with the result of 2nd half last year and this year? 

how can i prove you right or wrong?

i love the fact that we have a high profile team that won 9 games last year and are bringing in some of the best recruiting classes of all time, while our QB gets national attention and our team is constantly being talked about.

Did i like losing this weekend? obviously not, but i dont think this is part of a trend or a sign that this coaching staff can't win games.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Aldo said:

giphy.gif

I think I'm gonna do this bit today.

• consecutive 9 win seasons
  • 3 bowl appearances
  • conference championship appearance
  • west division champ

All right after taking over for the worst team in FBS, the season after they suffered the worst loss to an FCS in college football history.

This is year 4. I am happy we finally get to have expectations.

I wish these fans would go back and read the message boards from Southern Miss and Eastern Carolina about needing to replace coaches that win consistently but don't always win 'the big game'.

Seth is a very good coach, still learning, but a very good coach. He's quickly transformed an awful program into one that is competitive on the field and competitive in recruiting.

So we've gone to bowls three years in a row and lost; a heartbreaker to Army featuring our backup quarterback, and lost to both Troy and Utah St, competing against each's best team in history.

SMU cheats, and they have always cheated, from getting caught for paying players on their very first squad through today. With the exception of what the smart SMU fans refer to as the" Miracle Season of 2017" coached by Chad Morris, every single winning season that they've had was coached by someone found guilty of recruiting infractions. Think about that, every coach since the NCAA started recording violations.

Now we're being told that a plethora of graduate transfers are walking away from full ride scholarships at P5 schools to pay their own way at one of the more expensive schools in the country. SMU may say there's nothing inappropriate happening, but with their consistent lack of integrity they certainly don't have history on their side. As SMU's former athletic director Bob Hitch famously asked "who should you believe, a strung out drug addict like David Stanley, or SMU?"  Well Bob, that's an easy one.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

how can i prove you right or wrong?

i love the fact that we have a high profile team that won 9 games last year and are bringing in some of the best recruiting classes of all time, while our QB gets national attention and our team is constantly being talked about.

Did i like losing this weekend? obviously not, but i dont think this is part of a trend or a sign that this coaching staff can't win games.

I guess my point is that everyone always wants to think that things are linear... 

UNT won 5 games in 2016 than 9 the next year, so we should win at 10 the following year

UNT went to the conference title game in 2017 so they should win it the next year

to think that improvement is a straight line is crazy. once you start winning 9 games, the steps to climb to 10, 11 and 12 win seasons just get harder.

We won 9 games last year, our 3 losses in the regular season were by a total of 13 points. Then we lose our starting QB early in our bowl game and get smoked by a damn good team that ended up ranked #22/21. Now you want to retroactively say this was the beginning of a trend?

• Upvote 3

41 minutes ago, vpackrats said:

I uploaded this picture in a different thread a few days prior to the SMU game saying this would be our message board should we lose on Saturday.  I purposely avoided this board after getting home from Ford Stadium and all day yesterday because I knew there would be a ton of "sky is falling!", "we're doomed!", "Seth and Bodie need to go" posts.  As much as I hated to lose to SMU, it happened.  It sucks.  But for so many people on this board to be melting down with "oh we've never won a big one with Seth!", I guess the SMU game this year was a big game and it counts but the SMU game last year was NOT a big game and it doesn't count.  (Unless we had lost last year -- then it would count as a big game).  The Arkansas game was also a mirage -- it meant nothing to us.  Why does a loss turn this board into "heads must roll / oh we suck!" every. single. time.  SMH,.

download.jpg

Because that’s all they know and don’t ever want to change. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

I guess my point is that everyone always wants to think that things are linear... 

UNT won 5 games in 2016 than 9 the next year, so we should win at 10 the following year

UNT went to the conference title game in 2017 so they should win it the next year

to think that improvement is a straight line is crazy. once you start winning 9 games, the steps to climb to 10, 11 and 12 win seasons just get harder.

We won 9 games last year, our 3 losses in the regular season were by a total of 13 points. Then we lose our starting QB early in our bowl game and get smoked by a damn good team that ended up ranked #22/21. Now you want to retroactively say this was the beginning of a trend?

I've been wearing out the +1s on @golfingomez & @Aldo today.

• Upvote 2

36 minutes ago, $MU $WAG said:

I realize you guys are big mad after Saturday’s loss, but which grad transfers walked away from full rides at a P5 school to “to pay their own way at one of the more expensive schools in the country?” I look forward to you providing a list of names since you used the term “plethora.” 

Thanks in advance. 

It was your poster on here that made the claim that only half of the transfers were awarded scholarships by SMU. 

PONY14  -  August 19 "Only 8 of the 16 transfers are on scholarship at SMU."

His words, not mine.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

Hey Mean Green fans!

Just wanted to drop in and say hello!

Hope to see you all out in Berkeley for our game! Let me know if I can recommend any places to check out while y’all are out here!

For those that can’t afford tickets to the game we also have this big hill called “Tightwad Hill” that overlooks the stadium and the bay for your viewing pleasure free of cost! 

• Thanks 5

3 hours ago, golfingomez said:

Well that’s not gonna happen considering little ol SMU and Sonny Dykes put that thrashing on you guys! To be truthful, I was pretty nervous about our game with you guys until I saw that display followed by us beating a ranked Washington. I hope you all enjoy your time in the Bay Area though! @Rudy let me know if you need any info about using the BART rail system. Unfortunately the nearest Twin Peaks is in Sacramento. Not my kind of place though.

Edited by UnBEARableCalFanatic
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2