California hanging with Washington

CMJ

Almost halftime and it's 10-3 Huskies.  Cal has played well so far.  Given the lengthy lightning delay I don't think I'll stay up for the whole game, but the Golden Bears look like the are capable of the upset.  This is not shaping up to be a fun game for us next weekend.

• Upvote 1

Y’all keep forgetting about our first conference win which is coming against roadkill on the 21st. We will most likely end September with a losing record though and will be scrapping to make a bowl game. 

Beat Cal.

GMG

38 minutes ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

Yes, we easily can be 1-3, going Into conference play. 

All of our conference opponents will be studying the SMU game! 

Winning in conference play will be very difficult from here on out!

That's what I thought last night. The rest of our schedule were given the blue prints on how to beat us from the very first game

• Eye Roll 2

About the only hope we have is that the Golden Bears will be drunk off this win and already be looking ahead to their trip into SEC country the next week.  I didn't see the 2nd half (it was almost midnight on the west coast before intermission), but their defense was very, very good....and I am frightened to see what their gonna do to our offensive line.  Mason may be injured by the end.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Unless CUSA team’s are gonna get a sudden influx of P5 athletes I don’t know what good film will do 

This is misleading. They are at SMU for a reason and that reason is not because they have P5 talent. 

It's an easy coping mechanism, I get it. But it's an easy excuse out of the curb stomping we absorbed last night. 

We were out coached. Mason Fine did not look like Mason Fine. And our defense is what I thought it was and what I have been warning people about for months, horrible. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, CMJ said:

About the only hope we have is that the Golden Bears will be drunk off this win and already be looking ahead to their trip into SEC country the next week.  I didn't see the 2nd half (it was almost midnight on the west coast before intermission), but their defense was very, very good....and I am frightened to see what their gonna do to our offensive line.  Mason may be injured by the end.

In large part, OL held up unless they were pressured vs SMU. There were way, way too many slow developing route combos last night. That has to be stopped, specifically if the D is playing an umbrella defense like SMU did last night and we kept running our stuff right into it. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, meaniegreenie said:

Have a beer...repeat as necessary until all feeling is lost

This was my plan last night after getting home from the game, ran out of beer moved on to the lady's Claws... Passed out during the CAL v Washington weather delay.  Drowned the hangover in delicious bacon and eggs this morning.

#Pac12BeforeDawn

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

This is misleading. They are at SMU for a reason and that reason is not because they have P5 talent. 

It's an easy coping mechanism, I get it. But it's an easy excuse out of the curb stomping we absorbed last night. 

We were out coached. Mason Fine did not look like Mason Fine. And our defense is what I thought it was and what I have been warning people about for months, horrible. 

Trust me. There’s no excuse for last night. That’s not what I was getting at. We were seriously out coached, out game planned, out prepared. That’s solely on our coaching staff. And in 2 years, SMU’s staff put players on the field that physically dominated us. IN EVERY position. I still can’t get over what they did to Bussey. We haven’t been manhandled like that since FAU 2 years ago. Maybe Troy in the Bowl game and Florida a few years ago. 

We got curbed stomped by players infinitely more talented and outclassed by a coaching staff that’s been there half the time ours has been. 

Year four and I’m asking myself “did we practice this week?”

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

We also have the opportunity to correct these issues and win the next two going in to conference 3-1. 

again best we can do is go into conference 2-1, nUTSAck is week after Cal. 

Just hope we go into the meet of the schedule, October on at minimum 2-3 and not 1-4

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Trust me. There’s no excuse for last night. That’s not what I was getting at. We were seriously out coached, out game planned, out prepared. That’s solely on our coaching staff. And in 2 years, SMU’s staff put players on the field that physically dominated us. IN EVERY position. I still can’t get over what they did to Bussey. We haven’t been manhandled like that since FAU 2 years ago. Maybe Troy in the Bowl game and Florida a few years ago. 

We got curbed stomped by players infinitely more talented and outclassed by a coaching staff that’s been there half the time ours has been. 

Year four and I’m asking myself “did we practice this week?”

Bussey was open but only had two targets. The ball was not thrown to him... That corner could not handle #8 if he and fine were on the same game plan. 

11 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

This would be very surprising (miraculous even), considering UNT only has 3 games on the schedule before conference play starts.  

(Houston game is scheduled after the conference kickoff against UTSA.)

Yes we will win over UTSA. My error.

On 9/8/2019 at 8:50 AM, Mean Green Matt said:

Given how terrible CUSA is we are probably still capable of winning the conference. But it looks highly doubtful we win another non-conference game. 

This. Other than La Tech, nobody else in CUSA West is just more talented than us, both in personnel and coaching combined. The entire league is just bad, and we get to play four of the worst of them in Charlotte, UTSA, UTEP, and Rice. UAB, USM, and MUTS are better than those other 4 teams, so its very probable we can be a very early SBC-esque 7-5, with our only OOC win being a FCS school and then pounding the weaklings of the FBS into a potential division championship.

• Thanks 1