DRC: Five thoughts on UNT's loss to SMU

Brett Vito

19 hours ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

Our o-line could not handle their d-line and our d-line could not their o-line.

Before the game I watched the smu o-line warm up and run drills. They were huge and very quick.  Multiple quality players. 

I knew then we were in for a long night!

Maybe the coaching staff should follow UAB’s and SMU’s lead when recruiting quality grad transfers!

It really does look like SMU is stacked with senior/grad transfers and that made the difference. That's how they were able to keep fresh players out there at least.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Pony14 said:

A couple things: 

- Not a rivalry. Our schools have absolutely nothing in common, and we own you on the field a vast majority of the time. 

- Don't flatter yourselves thinking the uniforms were just for you. They were for the people of Dallas that we want to attract. We will wear them again this year. 

- Transfers did make a difference. We get good ones, you guys don't. 

- Our OL is the weakest position on the team and they still completely outmatched you. That's how far we've come in on year. 

It also wont get any easier for you guys as we only graduate 3 starters on offense. Don't hold your breath for a better result next year. You got lucky after June quit on the team, and in Sonny's first year with a loser QB. Luck is your only hope in this series. 

you'll be giving up 50 points a game by next year bro.   

20130305_013838_caldykes-2.jpg?w=512

• Haha 1

Just now, Pony14 said:

Nah. Unlike Cal, SMU actually gives Sonny what he needs to be successful, namely the money to hire a good DC. Look up Kevin Kane, or ask these UNT fans about what he did to their Heisman hopeful. 

his defense was dead last in the country at ltech too my man.   it's nice to be hopeful, but delusional is a sad look.   btw cal's DC was paid a crapload more than SMU's DC currenty is making.   the DC isn't the problem.  Sonny doesn't care about defense.   just listen to his interviews and see how often he mentions the D at all.   his entire practice schedule is designed to maximize the passing game.  

2 minutes ago, Pony14 said:

Well, then he must have learned something from his year under patterson. Ive seen the Cal and LaTech teams he fielded. This SMU team looks nothing like them. Even the offense is different as he has allowed the OC to put his stamp on it instead of just mandating it be his AirRaid and nothing else. Delusional would be me thinking we would lead the country in points allowed. Im a realist and i know other teams will score. But we held a very good QB in Mason Fine almost completely in check. Did that ever happen at Cal?

well this thread took an interesting turn...

• Upvote 1

Just now, Pony14 said:

Well, then he must have learned something from his year under patterson. Ive seen the Cal and LaTech teams he fielded. This SMU team looks nothing like them. Even the offense is different as he has allowed the OC to put his stamp on it instead of just mandating it be his AirRaid and nothing else. Delusional would be me thinking we would lead the country in points allowed. Im a realist and i know other teams will score. But we held a very good QB in Mason Fine almost completely in check. Did that ever happen at Cal?

one year as an analyst changes his entire philosophy?   it looks pretty damn similar to me.  your qb has already thrown it 80 times.  you are already giving up 4 tds a game including 30 to a sun belt team.   you have any idea what running those number of plays does to your defense over the long term?

4 hours ago, meangreenlax said:

Sitting on the home side of the field amongst the hooting thrice divorced ambulance chasers/SMU fans, it felt like a rivalry. They do not like us, and we don’t like them. 

When TCU kicks them to the curb and discontinues that series, they’ll come to their senses. They might never admit it, however.

Was really hoping that you guys would win that game even though I’m a Sonny Dykes fan. Wanted you to be undefeated coming into Berkeley.

15 minutes ago, Pony14 said:

I was actually going to cheer for Cal, but now I've changed my mind. I hope UNT pulls out a miracle in Berkeley (do they believe in those there or is that frowned upon?) 

If UNT fans think we're pricks, wait until you meet some Cal fans. There's a reason Sonny tried every year to run away from that place. 

Dude you came on here and essentially told them they had no chance to beat you for the foreseeable future.   You are as classy as your coach.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, UnBEARableCalFanatic said:

Was really hoping that you guys would win that game even though I’m a Sonny Dykes fan. Wanted you to be undefeated coming into Berkeley.

Interesting troll account.  There are no cal sonny dykes fans.  The man is universally despised 

1 minute ago, oski said:

Interesting troll account.  There are no cal sonny dykes fans.  The man is universally despised 

I realize he’s not well liked by the majority of our fan base but I felt he had a lot on his plate. A lot of our fans hated Tedford too but I was a fan of Jeff as well.

Edited by UnBEARableCalFanatic

Just now, Pony14 said:

How does the bitterness taste? Would you describe it as a. Sharp b. Pungent or c. Disagreeable?

you'd be bitter to if you had a complete slimeball as a coach and openly looked for other positions.   this is a guy who got handed jared goff and could only manage to go 7-5.   he's the worst coach in cal football history and an asshole.   great combination.   

• Haha 1

Vito,

When are you going to hold yourself accountable? You disrespect the kids that were a part of the program prior to you hammering every week how great these grad transfers were going to be in your twitter feeds and dentonrc articles.  You hype up freshmen that aren't going to see ANY time soon. Why do you continue this FALSE HYPE?  It takes time to learn the system. As gifted as some of them may be, it takes time for them to develop to the speed of the game and the physicality of the game.

Football is a team sport! Don't isolate ONE POSITION! Look at the ENTIRE TEAM using DATA! Look at the STATS! Have you said anything about OTHER POSITIONS in a equitable way! Your NEWS sounds like a broken RECORD! If I'm the HC or players I wouldn't let you NEAR my facility!

STATE the FACTS using DATA not HYPE and ACKNOWLEDGE the kids that have taken that next step...

2018 through two games

Passing Rushing Total Offense First Downs Penalties      
Rk Date   Opponent   Cmp Att Pct Yds TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg Pass Rush Pen Tot No. Yds Fum Int TO
1 2018-09-01   Southern Methodist W (46-23) 12 24 50.0 252  2 19 4 0.2 1 43 256 6.0 7 2 0 9 4 40 0 1 1
2 2018-09-08   Incarnate Word W (58-16) 16 30 53.3 152  0 30 144 4.8 2 60 296 4.9 7 4 1 12 8 72 1 2  

2019 through two games

Rk Date   Opponent   Cmp Att Pct Yds TD Att Yds Avg TD Plays Yds Avg Pass Rush Pen Tot No. Yds Fum Int TO
  2 Games       45 66 68.2 565 4 75 394 5.3 7 141 959 6.8  
1 2019-08-31   Abilene Christian W (51-31) 24 35 68.6 273 1 36 183 5.1 3 71 456 6.4 11 8 1 20 5 35 1 0 1
2 2019-09-07 @ Southern Methodist L (27-49) 21 31 67.7 292 3 39 211 5.4 4 70 503 7.2 12 9 4 25 3 32 1 0 1

SELECTIVE MEMORY

It appears that you forgot the number of times our corners took it on the chin the last two years as good as their STATS were their senior years.  One of the corners was beaten 9-10 times in a season . Never once did any of us see the current TWITTER feeds and denton news articles that we see currently. I guess you gave them a pass. PATHETIC JOURNALISM! 

YOUTUBE videos of the OPPOSING teams we play show all touchdowns against our teams. REPLAY of full games allow us to not depend on your FALSE HYPE!

Report your news as a TEAM sport not ONE POSITION!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 3

30 minutes ago, DB4Life said:

Vito,

When are you going to hold yourself accountable? You disrespect the kids that were a part of the program prior to you hammering every week how great these grad transfers were going to be in your twitter feeds and dentonrc articles.  You hype up freshmen that aren't going to see ANY time soon. Why do you continue this FALSE HYPE?  It takes time to learn the system. As gifted as some of them may be, it takes time for them to develop to the speed of the game and the physicality of the game.

Football is a team sport! Don't isolate ONE POSITION! Look at the ENTIRE TEAM using DATA! Look at the STATS! Have you said anything about OTHER POSITIONS in a equitable way! Your NEWS sounds like a broken RECORD! If I'm the HC or players I wouldn't let you NEAR my facility!

STATE the FACTS using DATA not HYPE and ACKNOWLEDGE the kids that have taken that next step...

2018 through two games

1 2018-09-01   Southern Methodist W (46-23) 12 24 50.0 252  2 19 4 0.2 1 43 256 6.0 7 2 0 9 4 40 0 1 1
2 2018-09-08   Incarnate Word W (58-16) 16 30 53.3 152  0 30 144 4.8 2 60 296 4.9 7 4 1 12 8 72 1 2  

2019 through two games

2 Games       45 66 68.2 565 4 75 394 5.3 7 141 959 6.8  
1 2019-08-31   Abilene Christian W (51-31) 24 35 68.6 273 1 36 183 5.1 3 71 456 6.4 11 8 1 20 5 35 1 0 1
2 2019-09-07 @ Southern Methodist L (27-49) 21 31 67.7 292 3 39 211 5.4 4 70 503 7.2 12 9 4 25 3 32 1 0 1

SELECTIVE MEMORY

It appears that you forgot the number of times our corners took it on the chin the last two years as good as their STATS were their senior years.  One of the corners was beaten 9-10 times in a season . Never once did any of us see the current TWITTER feeds and denton news articles that we see currently. I guess you gave them a pass. PATHETIC JOURNALISM! 

YOUTUBE videos of the OPPOSING teams we play show all touchdowns against our teams. REPLAY of full games allow us to not depend on your FALSE HYPE!

Report your news as a TEAM sport not ONE POSITION!

Are you the parent of a DB on the team this year or something? 

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Pony14 said:

A couple things: 

- Not a rivalry. Our schools have absolutely nothing in common, and we own you on the field a vast majority of the time. 

- Don't flatter yourselves thinking the uniforms were just for you. They were for the people of Dallas that we want to attract. We will wear them again this year. 

- Our OL is the weakest position on the team and they still completely outmatched you. That's how far we've come in on year. 

It also wont get any easier for you guys as we only graduate 3 starters on offense. Don't hold your breath for a better result next year. You got lucky after June quit on the team, and in Sonny's first year with a loser QB. Luck is your only hope in this series. 

Here is proof it is a rivalry.  One of their few fans over here on our board a couple days after the game claiming it isn't a rivalry.  Oh, and 4-7 since your return from the Death Penalty doesn't equal "owning us on the field."

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Pony14 said:

I was actually going to cheer for Cal, but now I've changed my mind. I hope UNT pulls out a miracle in Berkeley (do they believe in those there or is that frowned upon?) 

If UNT fans think we're pricks, wait until you meet some Cal fans. There's a reason Sonny tried every year to run away from that place. 

Good Lord, you can disagree an opposing fan without getting your Pull-ups in a bunch.  I have never heard anyone say anything bad about Cal's fans.  smuT, on the other hand, is the most disliked team/university/fan base in the state for many reasons, but mainly because of their inflated ego's and belief that a degree from there means something outside of University Park.

22 hours ago, Pony14 said:

A couple things: 

Dallas isn't coming to your games. They don't care about you, clearly. You are smack dab in the center of one of the largest cities in the world and unless the opposing fans travel well, Ford will forever and always be maybe at 50% capacity...maybe. If SMU was what SMU people thought they were, Ford would be busting at the seams in your 30K seat stadium. It's not, ever. It's embarrassing given your geography/egos. 

• Upvote 3