So what had happened was...

SigmaGreen

This was a classic case of Premature Gloat. The coaches believed the hype that leaked down to the players. 

From the first series on..... they looked out of sorts. The mental preparation for game day is a continuing problem with SL and his team when playing big away games. 

Reality Check for SL and company. This team can do better.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Nick Harvey needs to sit down.  Sorry, he just does.

Mason looked as rattled as I have seen him since his freshman year. 

Our O-line got their asses whipped

Reeder was supposed to bring tempo and creativity.  I saw neither.  We looked like we were afraid to throw deep and ran the same ground game repetitively.

When it is clear your defense is getting overwhelmed then EVERY trip into the red zone is 4 down territory.  Field goals are a give up.  Get seven or give them the ball back deep in their end of the field. 

SMU is far from the best team we will face this year, and if anything they are pretty much just average. The issue is, every time we go to Ford Stadium we make them look like they are all stars.

SMU beat Houston last year. Not by a little. It pains me to say this, but they are better than average. We are looking at being 1-3 going into the Houston game unless this team finds itself.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Normally I wouldn’t be too concerned with the offense not firing on all cylinders. But it’s clear we have literally no room for error. The defense will get punched in the mouth, allow 3 or 4 big scoring drives, and maaaaaybe the O will start moving the ball. 

It’s a recipe for a long disastrous season. Houston is going to absolutely destroy us if things don’t change. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

SMU beat Houston last year. Not by a little. It pains me to say this, but they are better than average. We are looking at being 1-3 going into the Houston game unless this team finds itself.

You’re correct, they beat Houston by 14.  

And then beat that juggernaut Connecticut by 12.  And then lost to Memphis and Tulsa to close out the season.  

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

You’re correct, they beat Houston by 14.  

And then beat that juggernaut Connecticut by 12.  And then lost to Memphis and Tulsa to close out the season.  

Again - better than average. Right now, I am concerned about UTSA. We have guys that are not doing the big and little things at their positions.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1

If they are going to play two deep with straight up man underneath, you need to run shallow crossing routes.  We ran zero of those. Yes, brothers this so true. second, both corners are too slow, look over your shoulder for god sake! A redshirt freshman with speed would be better than these guys. Stiggers is a beast, future looks bright for him!

•  
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

It is really simple I told Harry last week

We don't have a OL, and that kills everything else.

We don't have an DL either.

Both are small and need lots of help.

Fine is again running for his life most of the time. No QB can perform well in that situation. Hell  the line we looked small against AC. 

The  measure of most games will start with our lines. SMU was rushing only three mean at times and still getting a push and just a 4 man rush looked like they were bringing the house on our OL at times. 

Worst of all I do know how you fix this.