So what had happened was...

SigmaGreen

I’d like to see us lean on the run a little more. We have 3 all-conference caliber backs and at least 2 more that could start for some other CUSA teams. When they load up the pass rush, dash them. When the load the box and stop the run threat go back to the air. If we can keep fresh legs in their every snap it will wear on their  defense big time and will give our defense time to rest.

• Upvote 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

2 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but North Texas had what 47 seconds or so left in the second quarter with 3 time outs and we let the clock run out?! Then we’re kicking field goals down by two scores in the second half. Sigh....just sigh 

Special Teams screwed up by not fielding the punt. It rolled to the one. No game plan is going to get you 99yds in 35 seconds. 

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

38 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

Special Teams screwed up by not fielding the punt. It rolled to the one. No game plan is going to get you 99yds in 35 seconds. 

Yeah I get that. Just seemed like we were licking our wounds into the locker room. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, glick1980 said:

If they are going to play two deep with straight up man underneath, you need to run shallow crossing routes.  We ran zero of those.

As big of a fan of Mason as I am....I saw underneath receivers open that he didn't throw to.  This is a pattern I noticed last year.  He looks for the home run and doesn't take the check down often enough. I love his spirit and his talent, but Bodie, from what I've heard and seen and read, wants to hit big money on each play. You're not going to get that at this level, this isn't FCS. We lost because of our hubris tonight, in my opinion.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

40 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

So the punt returner should try to catch a bouncing football with two SMU defenders within 3 feet of him and if he screws up they score a touchdown? Nah, that was not the problem with our game plan.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, peanuts104 said:

So the punt returner should try to catch a bouncing football with two SMU defenders within 3 feet of him and if he screws up they score a touchdown? Nah, that was not the problem with our game plan.

He should’ve run under it and caught it. The opportunity was there to call for the FC and catch it. He played it way too conservatively and let it bounce. 

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Eye Roll 2

30 minutes ago, American_Patriot said:

Mason never attempted a pass to Rico. The one he attempted was short. The top receiver on the team with one target???? SMU coverage was not that solid and had holes, but we elected to not take chances. 

I might be wrong but he attempted at least three passes to bussey. None the less, they didn’t get Rico in a spot to get a catch. No motion, just line up and run

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, American_Patriot said:

Mason never attempted a pass to Rico. The one he attempted was short. The top receiver on the team with one target???? SMU coverage was not that solid and had holes, but we elected to not take chances. 

It was indeed short. Rico had a step and a half on his guy to the point that the defender had to dive to swat down an under thrown ball. 

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Withers940 said:

I might be wrong but he attempted at least three passes to bussey. None the less, they didn’t get Rico in a spot to get a catch. No motion, just line up and run

I wondered why they did not move Rico around? He pretty much lined up outside and ran long routes all game long. 

• Upvote 2