***OFFICIAL UNT vs SMU Game thread***

Harry

1 minute ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Ok. Basketball has had some late year struggles, but I’d hardly say the program is on a downward trend. 

You're right. The program as a whole is not on a downward trend. We have performed well across all sports. I am just frustrated at the way this season is starting across all sports. I will still contribute to the MGSF and will continue to go to as many games as possible. I don't like the way things are starting, but I am a Mean Green fan through and through and will be until the day they place me 6 feet deep.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

23 minutes ago, Venson said:

You're right. The program as a whole is not on a downward trend. We have performed well across all sports. I am just frustrated at the way this season is starting across all sports. I will still contribute to the MGSF and will continue to go to as many games as possible. I don't like the way things are starting, but I am a Mean Green fan through and through and will be until the day they place me 6 feet deep.

Gotcha. Looks like I misread your post. That’s my bad. 

• Upvote 1

Well this is my first post, but I have been a fan and supported NT sports since 1980!  Lots of really good points already shared so I'll add just 2 more.  I was very encouraged by the fan base last night that traveled to SMU! I sat in several places and saw a great representation of the young, and the older fans!  I was proud...of the UNT fans!  But...

My issue with the game was that regardless of clearly being punched in the gut several times by the referees in the first half, I saw very little effort from coaches (play calling, clock management) or even some of the players (O line, entire defense) to raise their game to match the effort level of the opponent.  Once that is established,  a beating is a forgone conclusion as some players stop giving their best effort. I almost can't blame them. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 3

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenFan1984 said:

, I saw very little effort from coaches (play calling, clock management) or even some of the players (O line, entire defense) to raise their game to match the effort level of the opponent.  Once that is established,  a beating is a forgone conclusion as some players stop giving their best effort. I almost can't blame them. 

No, damnit!  That is not acceptable!  Fans and students have, for the most part, have been very supportive of NT football. We provide scholarship money/donations to these student athletics.  Two families provided millions of dollars to help fund a beautiful, comfortable indoor practice facility for our athletics.  I expect players to give 110% effort the whole damn game!  And the coaches should do the same.  We pay Littrell a ton of money to lead our football team and make good “in game” decisions.  Do your job coach!

Saturdays effort may keep me from attending the Houston game.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Venson said:

At the end of the day, this athletic season for UNT is not starting out well. Football just got decimated, volleyball is losing consistently, and soccer has lost the last two, but at least those losses were against ranked opponents. I don't worry about soccer because Coach Hedlund has a very young team and he will get the ship righted and cruise through CUSA. The other sports, I don't know about. The way this season is starting, I hope basketball doesn't continue the downward trend of this season.

I don't worry about soccer either...because I don't care.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 4

7 hours ago, NT91 said:

fascists is correct.

15 hours ago, peanuts104 said:

Deleting fan posts but not deleting obvious trolls appears to be the MO of this board.

16 hours ago, Rudy said:

Since my last post got deleted, no, I'm not challenging anyone to a fight. It's not worth my career. I was just telling you where I was to prove that you were the coward hiding behind the anonymity of a keyboard instead of being man enough to say something to someone's face. 

I'm gonna die from freebasing this thread.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 3

3 hours ago, Venson said:

At the end of the day, this athletic season for UNT is not starting out well. Football just got decimated, volleyball is losing consistently, and soccer has lost the last two, but at least those losses were against ranked opponents. I don't worry about soccer because Coach Hedlund has a very young team and he will get the ship righted and cruise through CUSA. The other sports, I don't know about. The way this season is starting, I hope basketball doesn't continue the downward trend of this season.

Of all the sports men’s basketball concerned me the most. I figured football would get around 10 wins, but the basketball team would struggle with their lackluster recruiting and losing our best player.  I’m really hoping I had it backwards now. We need some hope! 

Edited by Andrew
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

The best of this thread were the cooking wine, vermouth, Kahula comments.  Thanks for the laughs.

The back and forth with the smuT fans, just let it go and ignore them.  They will be gone until next year.  They are proving why they are the most hated university in Texas.  I have encounter one good smuT fan in my life, @malonish, but outside of him, they are the typical smuT a-holes.  Just ignore them.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

On 9/7/2019 at 11:16 PM, Rudy said:

Since my last post got deleted, no, I'm not challenging anyone to a fight. It's not worth my career. I was just telling you where I was to prove that you were the coward hiding behind the anonymity of a keyboard instead of being man enough to say something to someone's face. 

Twin Peaks sucks. It’s a shame that you choose to eat such shitty food. I wouldn’t meet you at that place either because it sucks so much.

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, UnBEARableCalFanatic said:

Twin Peaks sucks. It’s a shame that you choose to eat such shitty food. I wouldn’t meet you at that place either because it sucks so much.

Had a decent burger there once.  Also good queso.

On 9/8/2019 at 2:48 PM, DeepGreen said:

No, damnit!  That is not acceptable!  Fans and students have, for the most part, have been very supportive of NT football. We provide scholarship money/donations to these student athletics.  Two families provided millions of dollars to help fund a beautiful, comfortable indoor practice facility for our athletics.  I expect players to give 110% effort the whole damn game!  And the coaches should do the same.  We pay Littrell a ton of money to lead our football team and make good “in game” decisions.  Do your job coach!

Saturdays effort may keep me from attending the Houston game.

I get your frustration, but after our terrible first quarter, we played smuT even.  The outscored us by 1 point over the last three quarters when we clearly weren't playing our best.  I don't think this was an effort issue at all.  We got blindsided from the get go and couldn't get a stop when we needed them the most.  This team has good senior leadership and I expect us to bounce back this week.  We have to because Cal will provide a greater challenge defensively than University Park's team.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I get your frustration, but after our terrible first quarter, we played smuT even.  The outscored us by 1 point over the last three quarters when we clearly weren't playing our best.  I don't think this was an effort issue at all.  We got blindsided from the get go and couldn't get a stop when we needed them the most.  This team has good senior leadership and I expect us to bounce back this week.  We have to because Cal will provide a greater challenge defensively than University Park's team.

agree to a point, team came out great in 2nd half and Offense got points on the board with the field goals, but then immediately the defense gave up a touch down, take away Beans garbage time TD and SMU still outscores by 8 and coasted to the finish

• Upvote 1