***OFFICIAL UNT vs SMU Game thread***

Harry

3 minutes ago, Salsa_Verde said:

We got punked in Dallas. Fine is a good QB but not great, SL is the same. Another big game and another disappointing result. SMU came to play and North Texas was once again unprepared in a big game. Sigh 

GMG 

Dykes gave Seth a coaching lesson tonight. SMU deserved to win. They are a better team. If he keeps this up others might start signing entire classes of transfers

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 5

Here are my final observations. Unrequested, unedited and uncensored. 

1. Almost impossible to beat the opposing team and the refs in the same game. So many bad calls, it’s almost unbelievable. 

2. The color commentator needs to drink less before/during the game. 

3. We can take down the 6 for Heisman website and just play some god damn football. 

4. Learn what defense is and how to apply it to the game of football. 

5.  More Tre Siggers. 

6. Offensive line: what is the purpose? Do we really need them? Can we swap them for a new hot tub, or a good, running used car? (Same for DBs)

7. Will we ever meet/exceed expectations? Or will we underperform for all of existance?

8. smu sucks, and Buechele is a bitch. 

8. When I read of the dangers of drinking, I gave up reading.

Go Mean Green!

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Dykes gave Seth a coaching lesson tonight. SMU deserved to win. They are a better team. If he keeps this up others might start signing entire classes of transfers

What was the count on transfers to SMU.... 17? Dykes made it seamless. 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

We looked really bad against a mediocre team that will struggle to finish in the top half of their conference.  We are a 5 or 6 win team.  If we win more, it's because CUSA is embarrassingly bad this year.  

And, that's OK.  It might be time to admit that last year was our year.

it was our year and Coaching staff choked against UAB, LA Tech and ODU. Ignore the bowl game since it was only for show

• Upvote 3

Buechele will be drafted.

The DC for SMU schooled us BAD! 2-3 deep safeties? At one point I saw 4 DL and 1 Lb in the box. Great game plan.

4th and 3  from the 8 and we kick a FG, but not from the 45?

Poche one of the fastest guys on the field can we not pound him face up and cheat the Safety over?

Do we ever play zone on D? 

We need to beat CAL!

• Upvote 2

Just now, Wag Tag said:

Buechele will be drafted.

The DC for SMU schooled us BAD! 2-3 deep safeties? At one point I saw 4 DL and 1 Lb in the box. Great game plan.

4th and 3  from the 8 and we kick a FG, but not from the 45?

Poche one of the fastest guys on the field can we not pound him face up and cheat the Safety over?

Do we ever play zone on D? 

We need to beat CAL!

This is why I thought our OC called a horrible game. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, keith said:

It was weird to see our receivers not make the catches that we have become used to seeing them make.

This is why I tend to blame coaching. We've seen them make catches in tight coverage and deal with man coverage before.  Why couldn't they get open tonight? To me it seems that it has to be scheme.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, ForneyGreen said:

Unfortunately, our offense can pretty much be stopped because our O-Line is so bad and our receivers can only get opened if they don't get touched.  Plus our defense is terrible.  We'll win some games, but 6-7 wins looks realistic.  Honestly, we struggled in the 2nd half against an average Southland team.

I’m going to be honest here, but the online didn’t get punked IMO. SMU had a helluva game plan where they kept Mason contained in all the mix. Mason couldn’t see the field. Bussey got open multiple times but Mason couldn’t see him. Sometimes having a short QB does hurt you. When Mason rolled out the Mustangs attacked him hard. Our offensive coaches were schooled tonight by the SMU defensive staff. 

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

I’m going to be honest here, but the online didn’t get punked IMO. SMU had a helluva game plan where they kept Mason contained in all the mix. Mason couldn’t see the field. Bussey got open multiple times but Mason couldn’t see him. Sometimes having a short QB does hurt you. When Mason rolled out the Mustangs attacked him hard. Our offensive coaches were schooled tonight by the SMU defensive staff. 

Part of the reason Mason has had success here is because he doesn't always need to see what's going on, he knew the offense well enough to know where to throw on the field without necessarily being able to clearly see it.  I think this may be a problem with a lack of familiarity with Reeder's offense.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, peanuts104 said:

Part of the reason Mason has had success here is because he doesn't always need to see what's going on, he knew the offense well enough to know where to throw on the field without necessarily being able to clearly see it.  I think this may be a problem with a lack of familiarity with Reeder's offense.

When SMU’s DBs are playing as tight as they were you have to be able to make an accurate throw. Gotta see to do that. There wasn’t much room and the windows closed quick. Their DBs played a helluva game tonight. Buchelle looked average, IMO. Multiple holds by our DBs and crappy PI calls kept them on the field. 

36 minutes ago, UNTGuy5 said:

Here are my final observations. Unrequested, unedited and uncensored. 

1. Almost impossible to beat the opposing team and the refs in the same game. So many bad calls, it’s almost unbelievable. 

2. The color commentator needs to drink less before/during the game. 

3. We can take down the 6 for Heisman website and just play some god damn football. 

4. Learn what defense is and how to apply it to the game of football. 

5.  More Tre Siggers. 

6. Offensive line: what is the purpose? Do we really need them? Can we swap them for a new hot tub, or a good, running used car? (Same for DBs)

7. Will we ever meet/exceed expectations? Or will we underperform for all of existance?

8. smu sucks, and Buechele is a bitch. 

8. When I read of the dangers of drinking, I gave up reading.

Go Mean Green!

I feel you on this. Every time we're projected to be great, we fail. its frustrating. 

• Upvote 6