The Sad State of Affairs at SMU post-SWC demise

PlummMeanGreen

14 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

SMU fans always seem very bent on what they can't control. UH and UNT fans embrace what they have, and keep fighting for more. It's why we're trending up and SMU is fighting to hold on. 

Any kind of rivalry aside, I do wish them luck. They just need to show up for SMU football, regardless of who's sitting across from them. When another school like us, UH, Texas Tech, etc comes to their stadium and automatically fills half of it, it's time for some introspection.

Well stated!

2 minutes ago, DeepGreen said:

Sorry to disagree Plummer, but many of us older fans suffered when NT dropped down a division in 1981(?).  Many of us simply quit following NT football.  Oh, a casual glance at the Sunday paper football scores.  Couple that with poor leadership at the top at NT.  We went through hell during those 1AA years(yes, there were some highs), and to some extent, during the climb back to FBS in 1995.  Again, poor leadership at the top.  We finally have the right mix and the results speak for themselves.

But the bottom line is this:  Screw SMU and UH!!  I don't give a rats ass about those schools and hope we beat and pound the living dog shit out of them!  GO MEAN GREEN!

Phil, I wish you’d quit beating around the bush & tell us how you really feel about all this!!🙄😆

I agree with most you’ve said, though.  We have had our walk in the “no leadership” wilderness at UNT  & you’ve seen it all about 10 years longer than me.

GMG! 

PS:  Am I still in good stead with your Sicilian  cuz in’ Guido?🥺

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

The only thing we have to fear (or...I have to fear) is........DG’s Sicilian cuzzin’, ie, the infamous  🍝 🍕 Guido.  (That feller makes me a bit nervous),   🙄

GMG!

Guido didn't live up to "la familia's" expectations and standards.  He is not longer with us.  We now have another member, uh, cousin, that handles that end of the business.   Rocky Marino.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

There’s no doubt that being a fan at SMU from the 80’s would be the worst “payoff” ever. You literally bought players or supported a program that did in the SWC with a team that was ranked very highly with it’s paid players. You then deservedly got the Death Penalty for 2 years, came back with a roster that looked like a 1-aa squad for the next 5 years, then got left behind by the Big XII. Then, to pour salt all over your self-induced wounds, TCU flies by you and does all it can to never be in a conference with you again, all while having several top 10 finishes. 

Yes, you kept UH as  an instate conference mate. But your stuck at our level of play now. We never got one tenth of one percent of the conference setup SMU has had, and we basically died from that blackballing. Everything we have now has been earned on our own, while everything SMU has was bought and paid for from its SWC existence. Welcome to the other side of the tracks, SMU...you deserve every lost fan, media, and $$$ you have earned since 1986. Suck on that...

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Ray 2
  • Confused 1

But just think boys. We need them around just so we have someone to really hate. Who else is there ?  UTSA? Not near the history we have with smut. We love to hate them. So...

Screw smu and the Peruna they rode in on.

Edited by Hunter Green
  • Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Let me get this straight . . . I should feel pity for SMU . . . because they were in the SWC and we weren't . . . in part because they allegedly fought every effort for our admission?  O.K.

I really don't hate them for any other reason than the fact that they're kinda fun to hate.  But I have a hard time feeling sorry for them, especially considering the fact that we've been dealt some pretty tough hands ourselves.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, trud1966 said:

Don't get me wrong, I hate SMU more than George Dunham does....And I remember all too well when SMU came crashing down.   By that time I was at UNT and bleeding green.    But in my teenage years, yeah - I was on board with the entire Pony Express campaign.   It was a huge draw in town, alot of excitement....Honestly, now when I see "Pony Excess" on ESPN 30 for 30, I really do kinda say to myself "geez, enough is enough, it's over...."   And the reason I say that is to Plumm's original post.  If that had happened to UNT, and dragged on for over 30 years, it would start get really old....Some of the players on that team have grandkids now.

My point is, it was a long time ago, and it was a reason for a decline in their program....WAS....What I dont agree with now is when people out there say it's STILL the reason they're not continuously successful, nobody comes to the games, dont get the play with the big boys, whaaa whaaa whaa... When is SMU going to stop using that excuse and take a hard look at their program, attendance, wins, etc and really clean house?  They can bash UNT all they want...And sure, we're not in the Big 12...But we've stayed the course for many years and always keep trying to climb the ladder and improve the program, even with a few steps backwards at time.    Some of us get impatient and always want more, but holy cow, when I think about where we were 20 years ago, compared to now....We're getting there...

Keep climbing....

Good post!

We’ve all been bashed by some SMU fans & we’ve done our share of bashing back. (Ask Gray Eagle about all that as he’s called for detente between the 2 schools for decades).  

I am glad both schools at whatever level of NCAA purgatory we each reside keep playing each other, though.  For starters it’s  a cheap date—No airline or hotel expenses. It’s an athletic budget breather for both schools. 

People do change, though. Check out SMU football ex  DanFreibergerForHeisman  on Ponyfans.com.  He was one one of our fiercest critics until we beat Arkansas last Fall.  He said he’d never call us “ NTSU” again & he’s stuck to it!😂

GMG!  BEAT SMU!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Good post!

We’ve all been bashed by some SMU fans & we’ve done our share of bashing back. (Ask Gray Eagle about all that as he’s called for detente between the 2 schools for decades).  

I am glad both schools at whatever level of NCAA purgatory we each reside keep playing each other, though.  For starters it’s  a cheap date—No airline or hotel expenses. It’s an athletic budget breather for both schools. 

People do change, though. Check out SMU football ex  DanFreibergerForHeisman  on Ponyfans.com.  He was one one of our fiercest critics until we beat Arkansas last Fall.  He said he’d never call us “ NTSU” again & he’s stuck to it!😂

GMG!  BEAT SMU!

I think today, every D1 team stays in a hotel before games home or away.   Another way to throw away money.    

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, trud1966 said:

Don't get me wrong, I hate SMU more than George Dunham does....And I remember all too well when SMU came crashing down.   By that time I was at UNT and bleeding green.    But in my teenage years, yeah - I was on board with the entire Pony Express campaign.   It was a huge draw in town, alot of excitement....Honestly, now when I see "Pony Excess" on ESPN 30 for 30, I really do kinda say to myself "geez, enough is enough, it's over...."   And the reason I say that is to Plumm's original post.  If that had happened to UNT, and dragged on for over 30 years, it would start get really old....Some of the players on that team have grandkids now.

I hear you....but the problem I have is how many SMU fans still hold on to that early 80s run as something to be proud of. If UNT had done something like that...I would be embarrassed...I sure wouldn't use it as some sort of proof that our program is better than anyone else's. Because if  you remove that part of their history....they have NEVER done anything. Their total existence revolves around being in the same conference at UT. Unless you want to go back to Doak Walker? Oh man....the 1940's great.

They're actually pretty sad if you truly think about it.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

But just think boys. We need them around just so we have someone to really hate. Who else is there ?  UTSA? Not near the history we have with smut. We love to hate them. So...

Screw smu and the Peruna they rode in on.

So with your comment about how we love to hate them, I totally thought of this classic Erasure tune from my days at UNT.  Ah, good ol' Rick's Place, Otay's, etc.  Maybe this should be the theme for the week?  haha

Growing up in Dallas in the 1980s, SMU had a very large role in the Dallas sports scene, next to the Dallas cowboys they were the big sports team in the city.  SMU had multiple generations of fans in Dallas, SMU dominated the Dallas sports media, everyone in the city cheered for them even if they were not connected to the university.  

However, they played with fire and burnt the house down, and that cost them their entire fan base outside of the university.  

• Upvote 2

My problem with Smut is their continued arrogance toward UNT and even a couple teams in their own conference. They live in a fantasy world. Money can buy a lot but it can't buy respect and fanfare they seem to want so badly. 

Their only claim to fame was they got caught CHEATING and received "The Death Penalty" from the NCAA and it was deserved. Since the mid 1980's what football championships have they won without cheating? I know they won a couple of division championships In CUSA but no conference title.

Talk about gloating.....

• Upvote 2