Giant TV watch party on the downtown Denton square. Saturday, September 7.

GreenTexan13

35 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree, but for those not wanting to drop $40 a ticket, I think this is awesome.  The fans will head to Dallas, those curious or on the fence can now go to a fun event on the square.  Denton has never, ever done anything like this, so I think this is an incredible step in the right direction.

will ferrell snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

Interesting idea but will this discourage people from coming to the game in Dallas? 

I don’t think so and if it does I don’t think it’ll be many. This is for the casual fan who may go to a home game or even a dentonite walking by and decides to watch the game a bit. I like th exposure, I’ve seen east side, mulberry and multiple bars on fry are having watch parties too. We win this game and I can’t wait to see the crowds on the 21st and 28th. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Harry said:

Interesting idea but will this discourage people from coming to the game in Dallas? 

I like this idea and it could possibly change some minds on making the trip to Dallas.  But, keep an open mind on folks going to Denton not even planning on watching football. The square is a hussle and bussle with all the new businesses up and coming in the recent years. What's to say a fair weather football fan family goes to get a bite to eat and then they can go sit on the lawn in the shade to watch the game. the football team needs to do their part and win, which would be in this program's favor for our next home game. show the game in and around Denton, make it to where people stumble into watching the game. That's the greatness of advertising, they see UNT play through their Saturday night out and peak their interest to attend a game in Apogee. 

Secondly, this is awesome, because the city of Denton is rallying behind the University's football team. @UNTLifer said it right.. Denton hasn't done things like this ever before. 

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 2

6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I agree, but for those not wanting to drop $40 a ticket, I think this is awesome.  The fans will head to Dallas, those curious or on the fence can now go to a fun event on the square.  Denton has never, ever done anything like this, so I think this is an incredible step in the right direction.

If they can’t afford the $40, they could at least hit StubHub.  Tickets to the game are still for sale for as little as $15.   That’s like the cost of just two double mocha grande lattes or something. 

• Downvote 1

I’m torn on this. On the one hand, optically I would much prefer this be done for the Cal (or literally any other away) game. This seems to reinforce the “away games are too hard” mentality that seems to still be sticking around (that does not mean we haven’t improved) in our fan base. We should literally, and I mean literally, have over 20k people in Dallas. It’s that easy and close. We won’t. 

On the other hand, I highly doubt anyone (or any material number of people) even contemplating going to the game is going to opt out because of this. Hopefully lots of people that just happen to be in the square see this and it peaks their interest. 

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, Elvis said:

Anyone know which sections at SMU are the UNT designated sections?.... and don’t just say all of them 😂.

The entire visitors side (east side of stadium) will be mostly green.  I think the official sections bought through the ticket office end up being the sections right against the southern endzone on the east side of the stadium.