Scouting The Enemy - Highlight Video - SMU vs ASU

Talon90

I watched the replay of the game and the difference was smu’s kick off return and a critical turnover by A state at mid field. SMU looked nothing more than an above average Sunbelt team to me, of course it was just the first game.  Everyone has bugs to work out.

Still, no reason we can’t beat them unless we beat ourselves.

Rick

5 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I am repeating on a post I made yesterday here.. But the two fumbles Arkansas State made did them in. 

Well Buchele threw an early INT and they had the safety so in my mind it evens out.  SMU was the better squad top to bottom on this particular day in my opinion. Of course the head coach not being there probably factored in.    @Arkstfan May have more to add.

Arkansas State was the more impressive/fun team to watch. Bums me out that they lost.

SMU looks like they can get some pressure on the QB which, with our O-Line, seems likely. 

It looks like SMU will take what the defense gives them, which is probably how their QB didn't have like any deep passes but ended the game with 360 yards. 

After watching this, I feel even better about our chances, but feel like it'll come down to how our defense plays.

Edited by Tyler Maryak
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Harry said:

Well Buchele threw an early INT and they had the safety so in my mind it evens out.  SMU was the better squad top to bottom on this particular day in my opinion. Of course the head coach not being there probably factored in.    @Arkstfan May have more to add.

Valid points. I completely forgot about their coach being absent during this game too. I think that definitely plays a role in how a team will play. I am curious to see what what an Arkansas State fan's perspective is on this as well. Because Arkansas State looks like a solid team. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SigmaGreen said:

It was my sons first birthday last Saturday and couldn’t make the game, does anyone at the game feel that we held back some tempo and scheme for this game and the next few? Perhaps SMU did as well but I wonder if we press the pedal a bit more.

Idk if we held back intentionally, but I definitely felt as if the tempo offense wasn’t quite as advertised. I’m secretly hoping it’s a case of Bodie Reeder not wanting to show all the cards. 

I agree with @Tyler Maryak after seeing the Highlights I’m not as worried as I was, but I’m still concerned about our defense. I will say though I was impressive with Harvey’s after game response on defensive play, seems like he has a good head on his shoulders. I wish the best for this season..

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I am repeating on a post I made yesterday here.. But the two fumbles Arkansas State made did them in. 

That, plus SMU ran back a kick off, plus scored a 2 point conversion on a double-reverse pass.

As of right now going in my greatest concern is our O line.  I’m looking for a vast improvement from week one to week two.

Rick

• Upvote 1

On 9/4/2019 at 10:17 AM, Harry said:

I thought the turnovers and the completely unacceptable kickoff return for a TD (guess what like 99% of the time, guy left his assigned lane) were survivable. Those are exactly the sorts of things teams do in Week 1, especially with a QB who has not seen much meaningful action. Bonner as a RS Junior with nominal experience posted numbers rivaling Buchele.

What wasn't survivable was the soft zone and the failure to mix up pass rush schemes and I lay that on Duggan. Doing HC stuff he didn't take care of his primary responsibility the defense.

For those wanting nightcap football AState is at UNLV playing 9pm real people time (Central) on Facebook. UNLV has a dandy running QB who gets to play with his top receiver from last year's meeting, AState DB Jerry Jacobs who picked him off twice last year and the only one to catch two passes from Rogers in last year's game.

Good luck to the Green.

• Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

On 9/4/2019 at 10:36 AM, GreenTexan13 said:

Valid points. I completely forgot about their coach being absent during this game too. I think that definitely plays a role in how a team will play. I am curious to see what what an Arkansas State fan's perspective is on this as well. Because Arkansas State looks like a solid team. 

Coach Duggan took a lot of the blame for last week. Felt he had the team too amped up and I felt he failed to make critical defensive adjustments he would have been all over had he only had DC responsibilities. Blake isn't with the team this week either, scuttlebutt is he will return for the UGA game next week.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1