Wrestling

Marty

They tried this once before...last year or year before.  I sit on the Alumni side and waited and waited and waited and waited after the game for them to set up the ring...finally just left.  There has to be a way to set that thing up faster...

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 7

9 minutes ago, KRAM1 said:

They tried this once before...last year or year before.  I sit on the Alumni side and waited and waited and waited and waited after the game for them to set up the ring...finally just left.  There has to be a way to set that thing up faster...

it was last year and they set up the ring during another match, it was a lot of fun to watch

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

Just now, bstnsportsfan3 said:

it was last year and they set up the ring during another match, it was a lot of fun to watch

That "other ring" being on the student side...leaving the Alumni side to pretty much sit and wait I guess.  Not hanging around for it this time if it works the same way.  We'll see...won't take long to figure out.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

That "other ring" being on the student side...leaving the Alumni side to pretty much sit and wait I guess.  Not hanging around for it this time if it works the same way.  We'll see...won't take long to figure out.

They showed the student side match on the scoreboard.  No one was left to wait that I recall.  

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

I stayed and watched it last year. They started a match immediately after the game on the student side while they set up the main ring on the field. Once the main ring was set up, they started wrestling there and stopped on the student side. I doubt if there will be a Stone Cold Cameo. The majority of the performers were older guys who no longer have any relevance in wrestling or if they were a little younger, they were WWE rejects. However, there were a lot of younger people who came to the football game only because they were interested in the wrestling afterwards. Many told me that they would not have come to the game if it wasn't for the wrestling.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

If it is after the game, why would anyone be against it? It doesn’t affect your usual game experience whatsoever but may bring a few extra butts in for the game.

Maybe there are students that love wrestling but not football or maybe they root for UT or OU. There interest in wrestling putting in front of Mason Fine and the Mean Green may be all it takes to convert them to a Mean Green football fan. Maybe, maybe not. It may not help but I don’t see how it hurts. Plus, imagine the excitement if by some strange coincidence Steve Williams actually made it to that game.

• Upvote 4

On 9/3/2019 at 10:07 AM, greenjoe said:

Please define "many" used in this context.

Many is not hundreds. It was more like 20 to 30. I was surprised that it was that high I guess. I couldn't believe people would come to a football game that they never attend just to watch some wrestlers who were way past their prime wrestling. I mean Iceman King Parsons was one of the wrestlers. That dude has to be about 70. LOL.

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

I am for anything that adds fun to the gameday atmosphere.

I wish they would have postgame concerts, especially classic rock groups like the ones that appear at regional festivals; REO Speedwagon, Huey Lewis & News, Gin Bloosoms, Poison, Loverboy etc...

That stuff is campy and certainly dated, but still a whole lot of fun.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

This is how the wrestling SHOULD be done:

1) Halftime performance. 

2) As the initial match concludes, the winner shreds the top part of their uniform to reveal a T-shirt underneath of <OPPONENT HERE>

3) Once the wrestler is identified as an “enemy”, Stone Cold immediately comes out from the tunnel and clocks the wrestler. Then Stone waves UNT flag around the ring for a little bit. Crowd goes absolutely nuts. 

If something like above happens the performance would no doubt be on a ton of top 10 lists and likely generate similar amounts of social media buzz as last years fake fair catch.

Halftime concludes with some band schenanigans. 

• Upvote 5