SMU Opens Up 4 1/2 Point Favorite

Talon90

8 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

After watching 430 yards get hung on our D by a very average FCS team I'd be optimistic as a SMU fan too. 

Losing this game would be a disaster. 

That’s why we need every NT fan that was in Apogee last Saturday to be in Dallas this Saturday. We should be able to fill their stadium by ourselves. 

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1

5 hours ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Wow they're saying our defense is god awful, but it seems like they are not that great anyways. Also the name north Texas state makes me sick!

If they were really clever, they would be calling us Texas Normal College and Teacher Training Institute.

Home of the Normal Boys!

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 2

As someone who did not see a single snap from this weekend's game (Sorry I was out of the country). Here is what i read from the stats. 

UNT had a 38-10 lead at halftime... UNT had a 41-10 lead mid-way through the 3rd quarter. 

Defensively after the mid-3rd quarter, UNT gave up 21 points and 247 yards, including 2 long drives and a big play by ACU which was 64 yards by itself.

Offensively after the mid-3rd quarter, UNT scored 10 points on 3 drives, only punting after backup-QB Bean was sack-fumbled(?).

I guess I missed some bad looking defense, but it seems like a pretty dominant win to me. Especially after seeing Portland St. and Northern Iowa almost pull off upsets this weekend.

My only negatives from this weekend would be that Mason played so late and we didnt run the ball more in the second half...

Edited by golfingomez
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, golfingomez said:

As someone who did not see a single snap from this weekend's game (Sorry I was out of the country). Here is what i read from the stats. 

UNT had a 38-10 lead at halftime... UNT had a 41-10 lead mid-way through the 3rd quarter. 

Defensively after the mid-3rd quarter, UNT gave up 21 points and 247 yards, including 2 long drives and a big play by ACU which was 64 yards by itself.

Offensively after the mid-3rd quarter, UNT scored 10 points on 3 drives, only punting after backup-QB Bean was sack-fumbled(?).

I guess I missed some bad looking defense, but it seems like a pretty dominant win to me. Especially after seeing Portland St. and Northern Iowa almost pull off upsets this weekend.

My only negatives from this weekend would be that Mason played so late and we didnt run the ball more in the second half...

all of that ^

• Upvote 2

Do y'all not remember that SMU also played a game last weekend, and barely came out with a win?

They put up stats on offense but they couldn't keep Arkansas State out of striking range the whole game.

2 or 3 bad turnovers by the ArkSt offense, plus a poorly defended return for a TD let SMU win.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 4

48 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Granted we had a big lead, but giving up 31 points and 430 yards on offense to A.C.U. is pause for concern. Assuming we pulled our starting defense it doesn't say much about our bench, or maybe it does.

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, wardly said:

Granted we had a big lead, but giving up 31 points and 430 yards on offense to A.C.U. is pause for concern. Assuming we pulled our starting defense it doesn't say much about our bench, or maybe it does.

Don't let the final score fool you, it was 31-0 before ACU even crossed midfield.

Not saying that ACU didn't play well or didn't keep it entertaining in the second half, but the final result had already been determined.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

1 hour ago, Aldo said:

Do y'all not remember that SMU also played a game last weekend, and barely came out with a win?

They put up stats on offense but they couldn't keep Arkansas State out of striking range the whole game.

2 or 3 bad turnovers by the ArkSt offense, plus a poorly defended return for a TD let SMU win.

I do get your point but Arkansas State has a good program and they have gone to like 8 straight bowls.  That was an impressive win for SMU on the road.

17 minutes ago, Harry said:

I do get your point but Arkansas State has a good program and they have gone to like 8 straight bowls.  That was an impressive win for SMU on the road.

It really was a good win. Sonny Dykes is a good coach and Shane Buechele is a very good QB for this G5 level of play. Anyone thinking we are going to blow out SMU because we did last year is just asking to be disappointed.

• Upvote 4

58 minutes ago, Harry said:

38 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

It really was a good win. Sonny Dykes is a good coach and Shane Buechele is a very good QB for this G5 level of play. Anyone thinking we are going to blow out SMU because we did last year is just asking to be disappointed.

No slight to ArkSt but it's still a Sun Belt roster.

SMU has quality players that hasn't quite put it together. Next season they'll be tough to beat.

As to Jim's comment, I'm not suggesting we'll blow them out of the water, but a counter to SMU blowing us out of the water. I think we can meet in the middle.

Two spread offenses with questionable defenses will make for a VERY entertaining, albeit frustrating, game

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, northtexassigep said:

Lol no 

You must have not attended the ACU game or maybe you left at half.  If you really have no concerns about our defense, I want some of whatever you are drinking. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

I did not watch the SMU vs Arkansas St game because I was watching the mean green win. But based off the highlights, Arky State shot themselves in the foot. 2 big fumbles really did them in to let SMU win that game. Their QB is a cause of concern, as he had some good throws to gain some yards. Our defense needs to keep this in mind when watching tape. 

Edited by GreenTexan13
  • Upvote 1

http://lines.sharpfootballanalysis.com/lines.php?sport=ncaafb&period=0

O/U has jumped to 73+ and the line is down to 3.5 SMU, clearly a lot of money went on the over and UNT covering. This is a really good site for lines and if you click on each betting site individually you can see how the line has moved. This website is from Warren Sharp who also runs sharpfootballstats.com with analytical stats and visuals for NFL teams. He has continuously praised Mike Leach as an innovator yet you don't have to go back 6 months to find a thread on GMG bashing Leach and proclaiming a good D/run game as the way to win in 2019 despite overwhelming evidence of the opposite😂

As far as the games goes, I think we have a good shot to win I am surprised the line is not lower but I get it. We could very well give up 40+ points Saturday. I don't predict the fairytale season some have, I think 9 wins (in season) is about our ceiling. I sure hope I am wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

On 9/1/2019 at 6:28 PM, Pavlovs Eagle said:

ESPN's matchup predictor hasn't been very friendly to us either... I was expecting ESPN to give us a slight disadvantage, but not as much as they did on a percentage basis.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game?gameId=401114253

That always favors the better conference with heavy weight. I'd say a good 25%-30% is based solely on AAC v. CUSA.

7 hours ago, Aldo said:

No slight to ArkSt but it's still a Sun Belt roster.

SMU has quality players that hasn't quite put it together. Next season they'll be tough to beat.

As to Jim's comment, I'm not suggesting we'll blow them out of the water, but a counter to SMU blowing us out of the water. I think we can meet in the middle.

Two spread offenses with questionable defenses will make for a VERY entertaining, albeit frustrating, game

IMHO, the SBC is a better league than ours at the top, for sure. And 2019 conference rankings agree on this. UTEP, Rice, and UTSA are three of the worst FBS teams this season