DRC Sunday column: UNT has huge shot to make impression in Dallas this week

Brett Vito

25 minutes ago, Brett Vito said:

DRC: UNT officials say they want to have a bigger presence in Dallas. A game at SMU offers the Mean Green a shot to move toward that goal

https://dentonrc.com/sports/brett-vito-shot-to-take-down-smu-in-dallas-is/article_8a97eebf-2712-562e-be81-0f33872eade5.html

The Mean Green beat SMU at Texas Stadium in 1977(?)  

Many of us on GMG actually saw it happen, but that was in Irving—not Dallas. 

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

52 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I love how the historical series record is in EVERY Vito article about SMU, as if it matters.  

North Texas beat Florida State back in the Paleozoic Era...but exactly zero relevance should be placed on that today

Make that...”every, every”...article.  I’ve memorized that all time series because a Denton Record-Chronicle sports-scriber won’t let me (& many others) forget it.😳

“Moving forward at the end of the day” time, BV.

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

It's a rivalry, so of course the records get stated constantly.  They always mention the series record every time UCLA/USC and USC/Notre Dame play here.  The OU/UT record always is discussed when they play every October.  It's similar whenever there's a rivalry game series that goes back a long time.

I don't think what happened when Army played Navy in 1945 probably matters in the outcome when the Academies will play in December, but they'll mention the all time record nonetheless.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 2

57 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

If you are going to harp on the SMU series record, maybe you should occasionally point out a couple of points.   One, most of those were SMU home games and two, NT was generally in a lower division of football with substantially less resources. 

And three, a large majority of those happened before 1950

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

17 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

The Mean Green beat SMU at Texas Stadium in 1977(?)  

Many of us on GMG actually saw it happen, but that was in Irving—not Dallas. 

GMG!

I had the pleasure to sit in the box of John Cheney who was an offensive lineman at SMU in their glory days. I was cheering and getting the stare downs. Never forget!

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

If you are going to harp on the SMU series record, maybe you should occasionally point out a couple of points.   One, most of those were SMU home games and two, NT was generally in a lower division of football with substantially less resources. 

Well, he actually did mention most were SMU home games in the article.

Edited by CMJ
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

4 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The overall record is definitely a misrepresentation. Since 1990 we are 4-5 against SMU, in this century we are 3-4 against SMU. 

• Upvote 1

On 9/1/2019 at 7:37 PM, emmitt01 said:

I love how the historical series record is in EVERY Vito article about SMU, as if it matters.  

North Texas beat Florida State back in the Paleozoic Era...but exactly zero relevance should be placed on that today

This drives me crazy. There's no reason to quote that stat and it makes whoever quotes it look like a total SMU homer. No one cares who won games between schools before the forward pass was invented except Vito and the SMU PR department.

Vito can do better.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

8 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Then they avoided us after the death penalty until 2006 and this is our record against them:

image.png.2fe0ac30c900290f5270467a246974b3.png

It's why I don't buy they have great advantages over us. They haven't had any sustained success over us in modern history....

We beat them in Denton while we were still FCS in 1990.  Then they turned chicken shit for 16 years.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 1

I posted years ago the 1990 SMU at North Texas end of 1’st half bench clearing brawl which I took that scene from my DVD to my iPhone.  Then NT95 reformatted it & it was on YouTube.  No can find anymore.🤔

I then gave my DVD copy to someone at BTG who were going to digitalize it.  Last I heard of it.  

BEAT SMU!