For those saying they wanted Mason pulled out earlier...

Harry

About halfway through the 3rd quarter would have been nice. I also would have liked an OL that has a good push and could keep Fine from getting hit. 

Called plays or bad broken plays Fine does not need to run a QB keeper in a game we are up in by 20 + points that late in the game. 

here's from an ACU fan perspective :

Why was Mason Fine in the game through the next-to-last series in the 4th quarter? I really like the kid and I can't imagine why he was in the game in the 4th quarter. I suspect that the coaches want to support his quixotic attempt at the Heisman and felt like he needs to get over 400 yards in every game and were determined to play him until he got there. As our passing defense improved in the 2nd half, we were able to stave off Fine reaching 400 yards and their coaches just kept him in there. He took two hard shots in the 4th quarter and if something serious had resulted from either of those hits, I would have put the blame squarely on the UNT coaches shoulders.

Link to read more:  http://catchat.freeforums.net/thread/1194/opening-2019-season-mean-green?page=16

Yesterday the tactics of not only our coaches but Wren on down became rather apparent and coalesced - and its all a pretty significant barter.

There was heavy foreshadowing in all the reporting from the genesis of the #6forHeisman campaign and every interview Wren has given since. This is an implicit effort in marketing. I believe the logic goes:

Gameplan is crafted for Fine to produce gaudy numbers throughout the season
> bankroll the positive publicity, the likes of which UNT has never received in this way since (maybe?) the Rod Rust / Joe Greene era
> leverage that into superior recruiting security in both players and future coaches once Fine / Littrell eventually depart

The natural argument is that this feels bad from a team morale / ethics even (?) sort of situation, and certainly there is the question of whether Fine's body can actually take this for another season's worth of snaps.

As Wren and co. have yet to truly falter in any of these efforts up till now, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and go along for the ride.

Edited by Christopher Walker
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

End of the 3rd, latest. 

And as @UNT 90 Grad said, it's not all about when they pull him but more so how they are using him. And is there a need to have MF in the game in the 4th quarter with the score 48-24 and have him drop back and pass 8 times on a 4th quarter drive? That is 8 times for him to be sacked or 8 times for him to scramble or 8 times for him to be hurt in a game that is decided vs an opponent that has already been overwhelmed. All for a drive ending FG. It's just not smart football. If MF gets injured kiss this seasons aspirations good-bye. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

Middle of the 3rd Quarter.

While I understand the marketing of Mason helps the program's exposure he is not going to win the Heisman or be a finalist no matter what kind of season he has.  Our schedule is not strong enough to impress anyone no matter how many yards he throws for.

He HAS to stay healthy for us to win the CUSA Championship which is the BEST exposure we can get.

GMG!!

BEAT SMU!

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

I would have taken Mason AND our good receivers out at the start of the fourth quarter. By that point the result of the game had been decided and we were just practicing vs guys in different colored jerseys.  We need to get some young guys some reps to start getting them ready for the future.

• Upvote 1

I wonder if all of you that thought the game was over in the 3rd or early 4th quarter were watching the same game.   ACU rolled up 400 yards and nearly all that was against the NT starters.  

This should have been a game were NT got a lot of freshmen playing time and maintained their redshirts by playing them less than 4 games.  I am really more concerned with the failure to that than whether Fine played in the fourth quarter.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

57 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I wonder if all of you that thought the game was over in the 3rd or early 4th quarter were watching the same game.   ACU rolled up 400 yards and nearly all that was against the NT starters.  

This should have been a game were NT got a lot of freshmen playing time and maintained their redshirts by playing them less than 4 games.  I am really more concerned with the failure to that than whether Fine played in the fourth quarter.  

I wasn't really worried about losing at any point in this game, but, I mean, it's not like we can lose a game to a 2-7 team after being up 28-0.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1