Nick Harvey was stellar tonight

Harry

Very seldom do I ever criticize a NT player on this board.   

It just was amazing to me, that fans and apparently NT media who picked Harvey for the post-game interview seemed to draw their conclusions solely on stats.      

The fans that watched the game and were paying attention, the coaches, players and the player all know that he had a bad game.   

Those accolades that he received must have been very embarrassing. 

I think that Harvey is total capable of great play and it will begin Saturday.   

• Thanks 2

Here's my take, sure he was a 4 star recruit, sure he played for A&M and South Carolina, but he had never set foot in Apogee as a member of the Mean Green.  First game, first start I expect a few jitters.  Thankfully it was against ACU.  He can now settle down and light up smuT.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Here's my take, sure he was a 4 star recruit, sure he played for A&M and South Carolina, but he had never set foot in Apogee as a member of the Mean Green.  First game, first start I expect a few jitters.  Thankfully it was against ACU.  He can now settle down and light up smuT.

It's amazing what a change in scenery can do to your mental game.  A Dentonite has no need to look any further than Cole Hedlund.

Hoping the best for Harvey.  The physical tools are there.

• Upvote 3

Defense: King and Ozwougu were both running up the field leading to big gains for ACU running the ball. The linebackers took bad angles on the long rushing plays and Muhammed took the wrong first step on the ACU rushing TD near the redzone. #38 Wood saw action on first series of second half. A very mixed bag from the LB spot Saturday. I noticed we seem to be going Frow-English-Hamilton on passing downs. I don't know if it's a good or bad thing a guy we picked up in June is our best rush end opposite Hamilton. I think Colvin and Novil were playing first and second down in the first half. Safi and Leblanc played snaps as well. Cam Johnson had a nice game. Overall I am very worried about the prospect of a leaky run defense and a front seven that could get pushed around by a bigger O line, I am also worried there won't be another DL with more than 4 sacks besides Hamilton. Just like years previous, we are going to need to produce turnovers to keep our scoring defense down below 27 points or so IMO.

Offense: I thought the RT Brammer played pretty well, I noticed #71 Parrish was in for Plantin at LT on the series before the half ended. I hope he is ready incase Plantin suffers and injury. I am glad we are using more tight ends but there was a few plays where we had both Pirtle and Howell (#34 FB/TE) running deep. I just think I would rather have Darden or Lawrence in on those plays all things considered. I liked the creativity and some of the deceptive looks the offense showed it should be business as usual on that side of the ball as long as Fine stays healthy.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1

17 minutes ago, untbowler said:

sounds like he is not a CB and should be back to Safety, blame this on coaching staff leaving him on an island at the corner. 

Time for Reffett to be gone. 

A few years ago we had a preseason all conference corner back (I forgot the name) who came in cocky and was awful.  He gave up big play after big play but they kept playing him until about mid season before they finally benched him. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

A few years ago we had a preseason all conference corner back (I forgot the name) who came in cocky and was awful.  He gave up big play after big play but they kept playing him until about mid season before they finally benched him. 

Are you talking about junior year brooks? Yeah, they should have made an adjustment sooner. Luckily senior year brooks was pretty damn great. 

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, untbowler said:

sounds like he is not a CB and should be back to Safety, blame this on coaching staff leaving him on an island at the corner. 

Time for Reffett to be gone. 

I agree. When you take a kid whose natural position is Safety and you move him to CB, watch him get toasted two weeks in a row, I stop blaming Harvey. I blame the coaching staff for not putting him in position to be successful. This is a complete coaching failure.

Edited by Venson
Grammar
  • Upvote 5

I have calmed down a lot since last night. 

I will only say, i hope the coaches study the game tape and see the same thing all the fans watched last night.

Every time $mu would need a first down or a big play, they went after a certain CB! Time after time. My friends and I were calling the play before the play happened. 

I am not blaming one player for the loss. This was a team loss! SMU had much better players, than we gave them credit for. 

SMU’s plan was to stop Fine and not let  get on a roll. Mason was running for his life all night. How many times was Mason sacked last night? How many of Mason’s passes were off target due to the pass rush? 

Well back to the drawing board. Learn from this loss. Make adjustments on the offense and defense! If not then Cal will copy what SMU was doing to us. I expect another blow out next week.

I would have expected gaddie to come in, but he must have got banged up on special teams because he was in the medical tent (i think for the second week in a row) last night. I want to say i read that whitlock was coming back from an injury too.  Otherwise, why not put one or both of those two in?  Harvey looks so slow out there.  Even when the ball is caught in front of him the receiver has got by him a couple times.  That's on the coaches for leaving him in that position where he's on his own, but it's either help him or help Moore you can't help them both.

2 hours ago, Charlie NT 73 said:

I have calmed down a lot since last night. 

I will only say, i hope the coaches study the game tape and see the same thing all the fans watched last night.

Every time $mu would need a first down or a big play, they went after a certain CB! Time after time. My friends and I were calling the play before the play happened. 

I am not blaming one player for the loss. This was a team loss! SMU had much better players, than we gave them credit for. 

SMU’s plan was to stop Fine and not let  get on a roll. Mason was running for his life all night. How many times was Mason sacked last night? How many of Mason’s passes were off target due to the pass rush? 

Well back to the drawing board. Learn from this loss. Make adjustments on the offense and defense! If not then Cal will copy what SMU was doing to us. I expect another blow out next week.

I thought that too, but then I watched a huge 3rd and long get completed with a single receiver on the right side split wide.  Expected to look over and see #9 covering but it was #11 (Cam Johnson) that got beat.

Edited by meaniegreenie
  • Upvote 1

On 9/3/2019 at 4:26 PM, GrandGreen said:

Very seldom do I ever criticize a NT player on this board.   

It just was amazing to me, that fans and apparently NT media who picked Harvey for the post-game interview seemed to draw their conclusions solely on stats.      

The fans that watched the game and were paying attention, the coaches, players and the player all know that he had a bad game.   

Those accolades that he received must have been very embarrassing. 

I think that Harvey is total capable of great play and it will begin Saturday.   

Whoops...

• Confused 1