***OFFICIAL ACU vs. UNT in-Game Discussion***

Udomann

10 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

I guess i don't get what this big "experience/preparation" factor is that backup QBs get by coming into garbage time and handing the ball off.... what team anywhere puts a backup QB in and runs the normal offense/throws the ball much at ALL? Don't fear injuries. You can't. I don't love running Fine either, but I don't mind him being in the game. 

Hope your watching to understand why game experience is important 

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, El Paso Eagle said:

I could see this D giving up 50+ to several teams

No one seems to care because apparently they're perfectly happy with their 23-16 record over 3 years to NEVER questions anything this staff does....Like, for instance, give up 435 yards of offense and 31 points to a meh FCS program. Beaten dog syndrome is leaking into some people's posts. 

• Thanks 4
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 5

Just now, NorthTexasWeLove said:

No one seems to care because apparently they're perfectly happy with their 23-16 record over 3 years to NEVER questions anything this staff does....Like, for instance, give up 435 yards of offense and 31 points to a meh FCS program. Beaten dog syndrome is leaking into some people's posts. 

Look, the defense is a legit question. Of course it is. We all know it. But don't you also concede that just saying "WE GAVE UP 31 to ACU!" is a bit misleading considering this was a three score game in the first quarter? 

• Thanks 4

1 minute ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Look, the defense is a legit question. Of course it is. We all know it. But don't you also concede that just saying "WE GAVE UP 31 to ACU!" is a bit misleading considering this was a three score game in the first quarter? 

Not really. Because I have to assume that most defensive starters are out there busting chops given how long they left Fine in the game. And their version of busting chops will get us boat raced out of stadiums vs competent offenses. 

Edited by NorthTexasWeLove
  • Upvote 1

Not really. Because I have to assume that most defensive starters are out there busting chops given how long they left Fine in the game. And their version of busting chops will get us boat raced out of stadiums vs competent offenses. 

Agree to disagree. Teams play differently and coaches coach differently when i game is done in the first quarter. Am i worried about our defense? Hell yes I am. I was before kickoff tonight. I also don't think we're "fearing ACU getting the ball back" at any point. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, CaribbeanGreen said:

Agree to disagree. Teams play differently and coaches coach differently when i game is done in the first quarter. Am i worried about our defense? Hell yes I am. I was before kickoff tonight. I also don't think we're "fearing ACU getting the ball back" at any point. 

I didn't say that. A poster did. 

I have been concerned about this defense since 2016. Last year was a tick up for the sake of JUCO kids that the staff landed on big time. But they are gone now and we haven't really reloaded with the same caliber of players, or at least they're not playing to this point. The defense is the achilles heel of this team and has been since SL arrived on campus. And this might be the worst bunch yet, and that's saying something if you consider the 2017 defense. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Just now, AustinFromUNT said:

Some thoughts:

1) For the sake of this board, everyone please take a step back from the ledge. We beat a team by 20. The sky is not falling.

2) The first game of the year is very rarely an indicator of season performance

3) FCS games are also rarely indicators of season performance. Most of the stuff used in FCS games isn’t used again. It’s used to misdirect other teams scouting.

4) we had a lot of turnover on defense. There were always going to be growing pains there. The question will be how quickly do they develop this season.

5) Every win is hard fought. Celebrate it.

FCS games can be a good indicator...Giving up 435 yards and 31 points to FCS is an indicator of any sorts. I indicate that Arkansas will still suck because they beat Portland State 20-13 today in their season/home opener. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 4

FCS games can be a good indicator...Giving up 435 yards and 31 points to FCS is an indicator of any sorts. I indicate that Arkansas will still suck because they beat Portland State 20-13 today in their season/home opener. 

I don’t know if you care about advanced stats at all but Bill Connelly is seen as the leader in advanced CFB stats. He has a system for determining when games enter garbage time. We entered garbage time at the 10:47 mark of the 3rd quarter (a lead greater than or equal to 30 points in the 3rd quarter initiates garbage time). Once a team initiates garbage time, what happens after that does not affect their advanced stats (helps get rid of padded stats & also teams giving up after blowing out/being blown out). So if you look at that system we won this game 41-10. That seems pretty good to me.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

21 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

new season and Ben is still a twat. #OldDenton

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 3

10 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I don’t know if you care about advanced stats at all but Bill Connelly is seen as the leader in advanced CFB stats. He has a system for determining when games enter garbage time. We entered garbage time at the 10:47 mark of the 3rd quarter (a lead greater than or equal to 30 points in the 3rd quarter initiates garbage time). Once a team initiates garbage time, what happens after that does not affect their advanced stats (helps get rid of padded stats & also teams giving up after blowing out/being blown out). So if you look at that system we won this game 41-10. That seems pretty good to me.

🧐🤪🙄

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2